DeSmith or Silovs?

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Anyone have a rule book?

wondering if it stipulates that only the goalie can wear goalie equipment, or can we dress a couple of the D men in the pads too?

The actual former Coach Roger Neilson, would already know the answer; and it could end up being yet another rule they'd have to change, because of him.

Penalty shots must have the goalie in net, because he would put a d man in the crease, and tell him to charge  at the shot taker. Presto rule changed to "Goalie in net"

Apparently Rule 5.3 of the NHL rulebook says only 1 goalie on ice for each team at any given time.  Crappy rule, if you ask me.  Way more fun to ice 5 goalies and a skater.  :hurhur:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Anyone have a rule book?

wondering if it stipulates that only the goalie can wear goalie equipment, or can we dress a couple of the D men in the pads too?

The actual former Coach Roger Neilson, would already know the answer; and it could end up being yet another rule they'd have to change, because of him.

Penalty shots must have the goalie in net, because he would put a d man in the crease, and tell him to charge  at the shot taker. Presto rule changed to "Goalie in net"

Alas there are clear rules on being one goalie on the ice as you well know.

One thing i do wonder is about the width of a player's stick. There are NHL rules for goalie stick width but apart from the blade there are none for a skater. Sticks can't have any projections but that term isn't defined and projection means sticking out so if the entire stick was extra wide then maybe you'd be ok. They have to have a bevelled edge but that doesn't restrict width. Reading through the lines it seems though the equipment is checked prior to the game but i wonder if you came out with a super thick stick if you'd be ok - they'd probably call you on unsportsmanlike conduct but i'd try it one time. A giant pizza paddle (no handle though) to block shots ha

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2023-24/2023-24Rulebook.pdf

Hockey Canada would ban it though 

They must not have any projections, pockets, netting or other similar contrivance designed to give the player undue assistance in the playing of the game.

The intent of this rule is to only permit the use of conventional sticks. Any special changes, deviations or innovations require review and approval by Hockey Canada.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Cheers 1

Sadly both are barely average and this team has proven it can’t win with even average goaltending and that’s with guys like EP not looking like fringe 4th liners. 

so flip a coin and go with it. 

• Haha 1

DeSmith. Only one goal against you could maybe blame on him. But I blame the terrible team defence. Juulsen turned it over, none of our forwards helped, Soucy was trapped, DeSmith bit hard on a dangle. Everyone on the ice can share blame for that. One goal was a fluke bounce. The other was a brutal giveaway by Petey. No need to torch Silovs and DeSmith's confidence by playing Silovs. We brought in DeSmith to play these moments, let him play them.

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

A couple of things.  Both Halak and Ward were full-on backups.  They were the #2 options for their teams all year long.  Silos is our #3 goalie by some margin.  It would be pretty nuts to see him make that jump.

Secondly, they both took over because the #1 net minders were playing like shit.  Gerber was shit.  Price (that series) was shit.

Also, a fun fact: Halak is older than Carey Price.  

The point is that young goaltenders can go on runs deep into the playoffs and I don't see us taking a run with DeSmith.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

As somebody who has watched a lot of AHL games with Silovs, he's not a better goaltender than Desmith. However with that said, ride whomever is hot. Desmith will be more consistent, but if he's lacking confidence then it doesn't matter either way. 

They're close enough in ability that Silovs is capable of playing better but he's lacking the technique to be consistent at the NHL level. He's a goaltender that is very streaky. I think he's still a couple years away from being ready for the NHL but that's just me. 

Streaky might be what we need. If anyone can pull off a Dryden it's Silovs. Long shot, sure, but we don't know his potential like we do De Smith. We do know he rose to the occasion for Latvia. Could he do the same in the NHL playoffs? Can't rule it out. 

Worth a gamble the game after next, depending on the result. 

Probably the consensus view I'm guessing 

It is DeSmith's for now. If he falters then consider Silvos but I think it should take a lot to make that change. The team has played a lot with DeSmith and that experience can count for a lot. Adding a relatively unknown element to the team in the playoffs is a big risk.

4 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Alas there are clear rules on being one goalie on the ice as you well know.

One thing i do wonder is about the width of a player's stick. There are NHL rules for goalie stick width but apart from the blade there are none for a skater. Sticks can't have any projections but that term isn't defined and projection means sticking out so if the entire stick was extra wide then maybe you'd be ok. They have to have a bevelled edge but that doesn't restrict width. Reading through the lines it seems though the equipment is checked prior to the game but i wonder if you came out with a super thick stick if you'd be ok - they'd probably call you on unsportsmanlike conduct but i'd try it one time. A giant pizza paddle (no handle though) to block shots ha

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2023-24/2023-24Rulebook.pdf

Hockey Canada would ban it though 

They must not have any projections, pockets, netting or other similar contrivance designed to give the player undue assistance in the playing of the game.

The intent of this rule is to only permit the use of conventional sticks. Any special changes, deviations or innovations require review and approval by Hockey Canada.

So no lacrosse sticks then.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, mmkk said:

I say if DeSmith can have a bounce back game keep him in. If not Silovs should take the net. We need a spark. Silovs hasn't been scouted heavily and could be that it factor to steal a game or series. 

If the team could put some goals in that would be nice. 

GCG!!!

We need a spark? We should not need a spark, we need to play better and stop taking stupid penalties!  We simply lacking confidence, much like EP40 who is pretty much sucking at the moment, JTM on the other hand is a much better player and even Joshua is playing better than EP40 is these days which should not be the case, EP40 should be rockin the show but is more like a dud... 

Silovs might be the better bet at this point since he looked really good on his last outing and very confident, however Smitty might play better yet. 

At least Edm lost which is something, however we just need to play better without the puck too, getting caught out of position is hurting us bigtime, plus shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties is adding salt to the wound.. 

Desmith 100% unless he lays an egg.. and i'm not talking about giving up 3 goals on 13 shots if it's not really his fault.. but like give up a couple bad goals and look shaky in net. if that happens then silov.. but until that happens prolly desmith net to lose til if and when demko comes back.. looking at demko's knee from game 1? i honestly think he's done for the playoff

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Desmith 100% unless he lays an egg.. and i'm not talking about giving up 3 goals on 13 shots if it's not really his fault.. but like give up a couple bad goals and look shaky in net. if that happens then silov.. but until that happens prolly desmith net to lose til if and when demko comes back.. looking at demko's knee from game 1? i honestly think he's done for the playoff

Let's hope not, he did skate off, not hobble off the ice, maybe there's hope, who knows but isn't that the way things go for us usually? Still wonder sometimes if we are cursed!  I know, I know, we're still getting the team together and need tweaks but at least we're showing where we need help. 

However management screwed up bigtime giving EP40,  McDavid, Matthews kind of dollars when he's nowhere near as good. 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The point is that young goaltenders can go on runs deep into the playoffs and I don't see us taking a run with DeSmith.

Indeed, but my point is that young playoff goalies are either backups or just really young starters.  Halak was a backup.  Ward was a backup.  Binnington was a tandem.  Silovs is none of those things - he's our 3rd string goaltender.  I'm not saying he can't do it, but it's a LOT to ask of him to suddenly go from AHL starter to NHL starter mid-playoffs.  We haven't seen a goaltender pull that kind of shit since Ken Dryden, and I think he's the only one in history to have done it.

Desmith for game 3 for sure. He’s kept us around most of the games he’s played this year. He’s no Demko but he’s got the experience. Not sure how Silovs would handle the playoff atmosphere or the pressure. Playoffs are a different beast.

1 hour ago, iceman1964 said:

We need a spark? We should not need a spark, we need to play better and stop taking stupid penalties!  We simply lacking confidence, much like EP40 who is pretty much sucking at the moment, JTM on the other hand is a much better player and even Joshua is playing better than EP40 is these days which should not be the case, EP40 should be rockin the show but is more like a dud... 

Silovs might be the better bet at this point since he looked really good on his last outing and very confident, however Smitty might play better yet. 

At least Edm lost which is something, however we just need to play better without the puck too, getting caught out of position is hurting us bigtime, plus shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties is adding salt to the wound.. 

I'd rather face EDM tbh. Hopefully Canucks figure their shit out and Edm advances. Playing LA with their 1-3-1 will be a hair puller kinda series. 

I wouldn't mind giving Silvos a shot sometimes in the playoffs if we are facing elimination.  We still need to know what Silvos is made of for the future.  Giving him a playoff experience is not a bad idea since he already have had World Championship experience at a whole different level.