[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Tocchet should just put Lindholm with Petey. 

Mikheyev is deadweight for Petey. Bump him down to the fourth line (or replace with Podz) and reunite Blueger with Garland and Joshua. 

Said this last game.   Maybe they don't see this season as their opportunity to win a cup, or they are happy enough with how things have gone so far.   Don't usually get into the coaching game,  don't have nearly the data they do.   We did need a 3rd line center, it was a huge hole we lost when we traded for Hronek.    That said, Bluegar's been very active getting to pucks and making his checks.   Don't think taking him off Garlands line would make a massive impact, but do think Lindholm playing center and moving EP to the wing could make a difference.   Mikheyev is the most snake bitten player in recent Canucks history.   He's missed a couple easy goals, and a couple moderately skilled chances that Pizza or Lafferty score on.    EP might have had his best game last night.    Although he was also a big reason we tied it up in Game four but that gets overlooked because QHs made better plays and Brock did the scoring .... EP used his speed and got the puck into their zone on the wall, making a nifty move to gain the zone ...  

EPs was the hero in the SHL.   Praying we get to play EDM.   After what these guys are going through with NSH,  doubt they will be up against anything quite like it against EDM.    NSH is playing to their strengths and it's all out war in a way they haven't experienced yet, not even Vegas in the bubble.   That series was simply pinned down in our zone all night.   With zero ability to push back. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jesscode said:

I thought this was his best game of the series. 

Yep.   He's starting to overcome their pressure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Like game 2 we were the better team mostly other than the momentum killing PP.

I thought that was clearly a goalie interference call on the first goal which was on a PP after a terrible call.

Loved Arty’s flare. 
Hated to see what would have been a legend building game for big daddy Zads get ruined at the end. 
Nice to see EP buzzing and engaging physically.  They are focusing so much on JT, he needs to come through for us. 

• Cheers 1

This was a really tough loss, despite playing it best game of the playoffs since game 1. I agree with most here that Mikheyev is not doing anything for the top 6 that can't be provided by others. He needs to be demoted or benched at this point. I just can't see any justification for sending down Podz as he would fit in nicely with our middle 6 at least. I hope we win the next one and can move on to round 2, as I do not like our chances if it goes to 7 games. 

This 1 scoring line and 3 checking lines has to stop. Load up 2 lines put Blue Gar and DJ back together. Put mik on the 4th he's never gonna score again. Hoglander needs at least scored 20+ this year. What doesn't Mil have 2? Ffs 1 goal this year and playing with Petey. That's gotta stop! 

20 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Mik has scored 1 goal in 2024, march vs avs.

1 goal in his last 51 games.

Yeah, he either needs to be taken out of the lineup or put on the 4th line.

Since about game 20, he has been where offense goes to die, and should not be anywhere near an offensive line.

I really hope for game 6 we see different lines.

It would be really nice if the NHL could get its act together and tell us what time the game will be on Friday.

I have decisions to make and it's still a TBD deal but it's two days away. Can't they schedule something so we know?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Mik a nice guy, and he at least works hard. But they have to let him go this offseason. A buyout would hurt but it would clear over $2 million in cap, but it would drag it out.

Maybe a team like the Sharks or Chicago would take him in exchange for a 4th round pick in 2025/2026?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It would be really nice if the NHL could get its act together and tell us what time the game will be on Friday.

I have decisions to make and it's still a TBD deal but it's two days away. Can't they schedule something so we know?

5 pm would be my guess.

Well at least we get some entertainment on Friday night. Regarding the non-challenge - I'm sure that Tocchet was confident that we could score so he didn't want to risk being short handed but that was an opportunity missed. If it's called a goal you kill the penalty (our PK had been playing well). Additionally, Joshua can't take that penalty.

Played Well: Silovs, Zadorov, Lindholm, Garland

Played below average - OK: Everyone else

Petey was a little better last night but holy shit is his lack of effectiveness ever hurting our team right now.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

5 pm would be my guess.

I'm housesitting in Kits and have no access to the game where I'll be. I'll have a radio broadcast only (if it was anyone else I'd say no but it's my daughter so...).

I likely won't be here either which might be ok because I get too upset when the trollwagon rolls in. Have a hard time biting my tongue. I don't mind people who are here, conversing about the game who have doubts or concerns. It's the ones who don't show up except to tell us the fans/team suck. They can take a flying leap at a rolling donut. 

It would be much easier to seal the deal next game....a game 7 here is not ideal (although my son has tickets). I still don't fully trust this city to behave...idiots spoil everything.

• Like 1

Overall this could be a positive learning experience for the group. They have to know that they really have to 'earn' that 4th win (fight through non calls and a desperate team).

I'd also swap out PDG for Podkolzin.

• Like 1

id try these lines next game to see if we can get a spark going for Petey:

Pettersson      Miller             Boeser
Hoglander       Lindholm      Garland
Suter               Joshua          Mikheyev

It's all about playoff revenue. Going to game 7 means more money rolling in for the team and businesses.

How else can you explain why we haven't challenged any questionable goal?

In game 3, could've preserved a shutout, but didn't want to risk a PP being still up 2-1 at that point. Makes some sense.

Game 4, goal putting us down 3-1, should've been a challenge. Pretty obvious kicking motion. Worked out in the end, get a pass.

Game 5, Silovs pushed into towards the net. Why no challenge?

No home playoffs for 9 years. And as another poster said, this probably isn't our year anyway, so might as well milk in the money while we can.

Conspiracy aside, go Canucks go!

8 hours ago, 24K said:

I am not arguing it was dumb not to challenge that but it was 100% not Silvos pushing it in himself or the puck going in anyways.

The puck was frozen on the ice behind Silvos and he made not motion towards it himself while trying to recover until he was knocked in either by the pred or fall from Blueger hit. 

Silovs pushes that puck into his own net on the rollover.  At the very most, Blueger helps it along, but it was going in anyway 

Nothing any Nashville player did pushed that puck in and challenging it wouldnt have changed anything and they would've had a another pk on their hands.  It was an unfortunate play all around and one that could end up defining their season.

• Like 1

I thought Petterson had a better game last night, but there is still something very off.  Without him scoring, the Canucks have very little chance.  I still think we get by Nashville, but in the next round, without Demko and without EP40 playing at his best, I don’t like our chances. 

Just now, Theo5789 said:

It's all about playoff revenue. Going to game 7 means more money rolling in for the team and businesses.

In game 3, could've preserved a shutout, but didn't want to risk a PP being still up 2-1 at that point. Makes some sense.

Game 4, goal putting us down 3-1, should've been a challenge. Pretty obvious kicking motion. Worked out in the end, get a pass.

No home playoffs for 9 years. And as another poster said, this probably isn't our year anyway, so might as well milk in the money while we can.

You can't challenge the kick in goal (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/why-goal-off-skate-of-predators-filip-forsberg-counted/sn-amp/) and last night's call would not have been reversed.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Tocchet should just put Lindholm with Petey. 

Mikheyev is deadweight for Petey. Bump him down to the fourth line (or replace with Podz) and reunite Blueger with Garland and Joshua. 

Mikheyev has 1 goal in the last 55 games. Dunno how you'd think that's dead weight. 🫠

Edit: 1 point in his last 17. That's elite. 

Edit 2: -5 in the last 17. Not a single + game in that span. 

Edited by MikeyD
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 43isprime said:

Yeah, given that he'll be the 5th highest paid player next year, I think the standard has to be higher than just a few good moments.

Agreed. Too many fans give endless excuses for why he's not performing. It's unfortunate that his new deal is already done. Waiting until after the season ended was the best idea, as his AAV would have come down considerably considering how average and pedestrian his game has become.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Like game 2 we were the better team mostly other than the momentum killing PP.

I thought that was clearly a goalie interference call on the first goal which was on a PP after a terrible call.

Loved Arty’s flare. 
Hated to see what would have been a legend building game for big daddy Zads get ruined at the end. 
Nice to see EP buzzing and engaging physically.  They are focusing so much on JT, he needs to come through for us. 

They were the better team in the 1st, but Nashville took over in the 2nd and most of the third.  They were, however, worlds better than they were in Nashville in 3 & 4

5 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

These challenges can go both ways, they are cut and dry

however, im disappointed that the refs didnt review them without a challenge like they have in the past.

I also think that Tocchet wants the guys to win outright, not by technicalities as seen by his complete lack of ever challenging