[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

3 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

You make some points here that are obvious to us and thus more obvious to the Canucks staff. Are you supporting the notion that the oilers are unbeatable? And why, in a Canucks forum, are you posting Jesus McDavid greatness videos? I didn’t watch it, nor do I care.

https://www.nhl.com/video/edm-van-miller-scores-goal-against-oilers-6340659305112

Here watch this instead.  😉

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

i think knoblauch is way out of his depth and the turnaround is based on fear of repercussions for failure and simply undoing woodcroft's offseason defensive changes that had the whole team thinking instead of acting (the same thing that destroyed travis green's canucks tenure).

Really? 46-18-6 as their coach is not someone out of their depth. Fear is a great motivator for all of us, but I don’t think that is the case here. Simply changed a few things? Is that what we did too?

I think you’re wrong. BUT don’t get me wrong, I am and always will be a Canuck. I hate the Oilers and always have.

6 minutes ago, tas said:

i think knoblauch is way out of his depth and the turnaround is based on fear of repercussions for failure and simply undoing woodcroft's offseason defensive changes that had the whole team thinking instead of acting (the same thing that destroyed travis green's canucks tenure).

That certainly could be a factor, but I think Woodcroft just wanted them to try and out score their defensive issues, whereas knoblauch actually has defensive structure.  To me, it's not so different than the move from BB to RT.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You would be leaving Evan Bouchard open on the point.  He has 82 points in the regular season and is tied with Makar at 9 points in 5 playoff games.  He doesn't skate with the puck like the guys you mentioned but he will absolutely generate offence in his own lethal way.

It's not that you leave him open I think you just end up giving him a little more space in order to give McDavid and the forwards less in the offensive zone. I think you have to pick your poison a little and I'd rather that poison be Bouchard (or their other D) than McD. The points are boosted by playing with McD (Makar with Mackinnon) and by their lethal PP and both playing in high scoring series in rd 1. Goes without saying that staying out of the box is a key to this series but I was speaking more 5 on 5.

I'm sure Gonchar and Foote can figure it out.

6 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Not sure how that's relevant to the underlying point that LA has a different overall style (e.g. prefering more man on man coverage in the d zone, more emphasis on clogging up the neutral zone) and personnel. Are you denying that?

They don't really have a different style.......in fact almost all teams play the same style these days.  The league has become very homogenized and the teams that succeed are the teams who play a more disciplined game and stick to the system better than anyone else.

Every team plays a 1-3-1 when they can't get a fire check going, the Kid NGS just do it better than most........at least against the Canucks 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It's not that you leave him open I think you just end up giving him a little more space in order to give McDavid and the forwards less in the offensive zone. I think you have to pick your poison a little and I'd rather that poison be Bouchard (or their other D) than McD. The points are boosted by playing with McD (Makar with Mackinnon) and by their lethal PP and both playing in high scoring series in rd 1. Goes without saying that staying out of the box is a key to this series but I was speaking more 5 on 5.

We are 4-0 against Edmonton this year. So I think Gonchar and Foote have already figured it out. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As great as Coffey was I always remember Orr as the best. Time is never a friend as those of us who saw him play pass away. As a diehard Habs fan I automatically hated any Bruins player. In '66-67 Orr broke in with the Bruins and even as a rookie you could see he was more than special. Most fans don't remember the play back then. It was often brutally physical. To say the game today is largely tame and pansiest is being polite. In that environment Orr garnered;

2 - Conn Smythes

2 - Cups

3 - Harts

2 - Art Ross (his Cup wins)

1 - Canada Cup

6 - + 100 point seasons

8 - Norris

The last two points require some reflection. In essence Orr only played 9 years in The NHL, 1966-67 to 1974-75. His knee finished him in Boston in 75-76 and he played a handful of games with the Hawks. During those 9 seasons he won the Norris 8 times. During those 9 years he scored + 100 points 6 times. When Orr had to retire I hated Harry Sinden for playing him when possibly he should not have. Since then I have moderated somewhat as apparently Orr demanded to play and who ever said no to Bobby Orr. 

Any thought that Orr was not the best defenseman that ever played is foolish. In my own mind I still question whether or not he was the best hockey player ever. Gretzky was the only comparable but he had longevity, a different hockey environment and was a forward. I argue that being a defenseman was a tougher position and more susceptible to injury.  

Yeah, my suggestions were for second.  Coffey doesn't rate in my top 5 and I'm not even sure I'd have him in my top 10.  Orr being 1st is just a given.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think Tocchet has already alluded to the fact that the approach to the Oilers will be different than against Nashville.  This series will almost certainly see much more offence from both teams.  I don't think we will see a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games.

As someone who has gotten very immersed in coaching schemes this year, I am very excited to see what the Canucks have up their sleeve to handle Edmonton over the course of a series.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Real sad sack, isn't he. Hardly ever gives the other teams their dues when they beat his. / Yes, this is earlier in the year, but the Canucks (in my opinion), are hungrier. 9️⃣

McDavid has a very punchable face. Hopefully he sees Miller’s fists all series. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

As someone who has gotten very immersed in coaching schemes this year, I am very excited to see what the Canucks have up their sleeve to handle Edmonton over the course of a series.

"To handle Edmonton"

How are they gonna handle us? I mean you've already put them in the driver's seat despite us beating them every game this season.

• ThereItIs 2

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think Tocchet has already alluded to the fact that the approach to the Oilers will be different than against Nashville.  This series will almost certainly see much more offence from both teams.  I don't think we will see a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games.

They can't get into a run and gun matchup with the Oilers, imo.  They need to be on the right side of the puck possession numbers and keep the Oilers in their end as much as they can. If the games open up, the Canucks are in trouble I think.

They got here with stingy defense and good puck possession.........they need to double down on that

• Desmenko 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are 4-0 against Edmonton this year. So I think Gonchar and Foote have already figured it out. 

A 7 game series is all about extended game time and adjustments.  It's about watching endless amount of video on your opponent's specific set plays (eg. McDavid off-screen behind the net or Hughes scissor route on left point) and doing the best you can to counter it.  Nashville did an admirable job to neutralize our high-octane offense and Vancouver did an admirable job finding other ways to win.  Similarly, Edmonton provided a textbook example for any future team seeking to bust open a 1-3-1 trap.  It's one thing to face an opponent a few times a year versus facing them over and over again.

That final Oilers game will help the Canucks coaches find weaknesses much better than those October games.  

31 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Anyhow, for me personally, I won't go there until/unless we need to. I'm hoping not.

I follow the team's lead and if they're ok, I'm ok.

Plus, I'm way too excited over this series. We can easily get into the Oiler's heads....they know what unfolded over the year. Their egos and strut may have escalated recently but they also went .500 in April. They're hot and cold as hell.

Edmonton was below .500 against top 10 teams in the regular season. They also got the second easiest matchup in the playoffs. As long as the power plays are even the Canucks will certainly outplay them 5v5. 

McDavid will also be dreaming about Miller and Lindholm in his sleep. And not in a good way. I’m thinking panic attacks and night sweats. 

• MillerTime 3

1 minute ago, drdeath said:

We're going from facing Saros to facing this guy and people are saying the Oilers will beat us in 5 🤣

IMG_9178.jpeg

Three of those games were at the start of the year where the oilers team defence was non existent.  He's no saros, I agree, but both he and the team are vastly improved 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Edmonton was below .500 against top 10 teams in the regular season. They also got the second easiest matchup in the playoffs. As long as the power plays are even the Canucks will certainly outplay them 5v5. 

McDavid will also be dreaming about Miller and Lindholm in his sleep. And not in a good way. I’m thinking panic attacks and night sweats. 

I agree, if they can keep the majority of the series at 5v5, they got a good shot

Styles make fights I think this series will be easier than the Preds. Oilers cant and wont scrap and commit to defense like Nashville. League does not give a flying fuck which Canadian team gets through, Oilers have the slight edge in reffing due to mcjesus but it could balance out because people mistakenly feel that Edmonton are a better than us and could be a threat to win it all. Either way Canucks in 5, Skinner is a fuckn seive and their d sucks ass. They try any goon tactics we have some bad mf to sort it out. Weve got more than one way to play

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

That certainly could be a factor, but I think Woodcroft just wanted them to try and out score their defensive issues, whereas knoblauch actually has defensive structure.  To me, it's not so different than the move from BB to RT.

woodcroft very publicly changed their defensive structure this past offseason, much like green when bringing in brad shaw. the problem with doing that, when you have a team bought in to what you're trying to do already and then you say "ok, everything we were doing before was wrong, now we're going to do it this way instead" is you end up completely undermining your own credibility as a coach. 

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

"To handle Edmonton"

How are they gonna handle us? I mean you've already put them in the driver's seat despite us beating them every game this season.

Fair enough.  I am also curious to see how Edmonton's defensive forwards are able to deal with our team's aggressive board play.  Oilers like to play down low - we like to play EXTREMELY high, to the point where Miller (a forward) takes shots close to the point.  The way both teams play defence in their own zones are quite similar.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd play Miller against Dri and Lindholm against McDavid.

• ThereItIs 1