[Signing] Travis Green to Ottawa

Posted (edited)

some of the thing Green did while coach seemed to be extreme when half your team is out of breath and puking you know you've pushed your team too far at training camp. With that said its not like he is incapable of learning from his past mistakes it will be interesting to see if he can actually improve the team, and their management needs to fix some of the glaring holes in the roster. the Canucks had a lot of the games that were really close games before Green and Benning were let go. I have it most of the teams problems were from Benning's mismanagement of this team. Free Agency especially was the biggest disaster for Benning almost every year.

Edited by Shekky

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

This is not Benning's team anymore. There are only 2 defensemen remaining from Benning's tenure and only 1 bottom six player. While the heavy majority of the core may be from Benning, this is a very different team.

I don't think Green was a great coach, but he also takes too much flack. He coached 3 straight Calder finalists so the narrative that he hurts youth doesn't really work. The team never really had scoring problems under Green, but it did have defensive issues. Some of the defensive issues might be on Green, and some on Baumgartner, but the heavy majority falls on Benning. The most consistent thing about Benning's tenure is incompatible defense. The defensive chemistry was horrible almost his entire tenure and through multiple coaches so that's not just on Green.

I think Green's biggest struggle when in Vancouver was adjusting his systems after they were solved/when they became stale. Green is still a pretty young coach so I'm interested to see if he's learned in his second kick at the can.

Here's the thing though: whether you deny it or not, the fact remains that the core WAS Benning's. Allvin/JR have added their touches (to great success), but simply denying that Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Demko, Hoglander (massive pieces for this team) wasn't Benning's contribution is just dishonest.

Green is not a good coach, given the many opportunities he's had to change the way he coaches. He's not been given one or two chances, but MULTIPLE, especially under Benning. I don't like that Benning gave this unproven coach that extension. The assistant coaches WERE handpicked by Green, as were his rosters.

He was stale because his coaching is stale. It hasn't adapted.

• Confused 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Travis Green to Ottawa
1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Tanner Pearson, Alex Chiasson, Luke Schenn, Brad Hunt, Tyler Motte, Juho Lammikko, Matthew Highmore, Jason Dickinson, Travis Hamonic, Kyle Burroughs, Tucker Poolman, Jaroslav Halak, Brad Richardson. All of these guys were roster players in Green's last season. Seriously, who could have won anything with that lineup? Coaches always get too much credit when the team wins, and too much blame when they don't. Green was a competent coach who did the best he could with the players Benning signed or trade for. Up to the time COVID threw a monkey wrench into everything, Vancouver was in the mushy middle; not good enough to contend and not bad enough to score a top three draft pick. 

In Ottawa, Green is inheriting a team whose top 12 forwards average out at just over 22 years of age (minus dinosaur Claude Giroux, 36) and the top six defencemen average just under 25 years old. He'll have way more to work with in Ottawa than he did in Vancouver. I wish him well and hope that Ottawa makes the playoffs next year.

He also did terrible in New Jersey, and part of the roster issues were due to him gifting some of those useless plugs roster spots despite them obviously not being able to play in an NHL lineup.

• -AJ- changed the title to [Signing] Travis Green to Ottawa
5 hours ago, Provost said:

… and that is situational and mostly not under a coaches control.

You can’t take the (ex) Coyotes and turn them into a Stanley Cup winner just by inserting the coach who won the Cup the previous year… that just isn’t how life works.

If anyone thinks Green ever had a winning roster, they need to put down the pipe. When you need to rely on an Ekman Larsson-Myers duo as your main shutdown pairing and Eriksson as your highest paid forward… you aren’t winning much.

I counter with Boudreau and Tocc in the same season. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He also did terrible in New Jersey, and part of the roster issues were due to him gifting some of those useless plugs roster spots despite them obviously not being able to play in an NHL lineup.

Travis Green was not terrible during the final stretch of games.  He just wasn't good enough to earn a permanent spot on a team with clear playoff aspirations.

Under his watch, he correctly placed Timo Meier back on the RW.  He correctly placed an ailing Jack Hughes on the wing with Nico Hischier.  Beyond that, what did you expect him to do with a roster that got completely gutted by injuries and trades?

So no - he didn't do terrible in New Jersey.  He was just meh.

• Cheers 2

The Sens problems aren’t the coach. They have one top minute guy, making top dollar, who plays selfish (not willing to do what it takes to win) hockey. They have the same problem as in Buffalo. Stutzle and Dahlin. Can’t win with these types of players as leaders and big money makers. 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Sens problems aren’t the coach. They have one top minute guy, making top dollar, who plays selfish (not willing to do what it takes to win) hockey. They have the same problem as in Buffalo. Stutzle and Dahlin. Can’t win with these types of players as leaders and big money makers. 

It's ok, this is the first step to us getting Brady. He's on the phone with Quinn right now hearing about how he needs to get out asap.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

It's ok, this is the first step to us getting Brady. He's on the phone with Quinn right now hearing about how he needs to get out asap.

Love to get Brady Tkatchuk. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Green might be the straw that beaks thr camel’s back. 

Green is typically known as more of a player's coach.  I don't think he will be the catalyst that chases Tkachuk out of town.  

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Him and Miller together are a guaranteed cup.

Tkachuk - Miller - Tkachuk

That’s going to be a good line for USA.

• ThereItIs 2

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I counter with Boudreau and Tocc in the same season. 

I counter with Boudreau and Boudreau…

he was great and terrible with virtually he same roster.

15 hours ago, TheButcher said:

How did Travis Green con Ottawa into a four year deal? This is not going to be good for Senators fans....

He's a good interview and probably came cheap, probably one of the lowest paid coaches in the NHL. Devils got a free test drive on Green and let him go. Will see how this plays out. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, TheButcher said:

How did Travis Green con Ottawa into a four year deal? This is not going to be good for Senators fans....

Is the deal announced? 650 just saying it’s not confirmed yet. If the Sens give Green four years they’re nuts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Is the deal announced? 650 just saying it’s not confirmed yet. If the Sens give Green four years they’re nuts. 

Well they better make the playoffs next year, since their 1st round pick is forfeited.  They will absolutely defer to next year since this year's pick is so high.

21 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Tanner Pearson, Alex Chiasson, Luke Schenn, Brad Hunt, Tyler Motte, Juho Lammikko, Matthew Highmore, Jason Dickinson, Travis Hamonic, Kyle Burroughs, Tucker Poolman, Jaroslav Halak, Brad Richardson. All of these guys were roster players in Green's last season. Seriously, who could have won anything with that lineup? Coaches always get too much credit when the team wins, and too much blame when they don't. Green was a competent coach who did the best he could with the players Benning signed or trade for. Up to the time COVID threw a monkey wrench into everything, Vancouver was in the mushy middle; not good enough to contend and not bad enough to score a top three draft pick. 

In Ottawa, Green is inheriting a team whose top 12 forwards average out at just over 22 years of age (minus dinosaur Claude Giroux, 36) and the top six defencemen average just under 25 years old. He'll have way more to work with in Ottawa than he did in Vancouver. I wish him well and hope that Ottawa makes the playoffs next year.

16 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Travis Green was not terrible during the final stretch of games.  He just wasn't good enough to earn a permanent spot on a team with clear playoff aspirations.

Under his watch, he correctly placed Timo Meier back on the RW.  He correctly placed an ailing Jack Hughes on the wing with Nico Hischier.  Beyond that, what did you expect him to do with a roster that got completely gutted by injuries and trades?

So no - he didn't do terrible in New Jersey.  He was just meh.

Bingo. Coaches get a lot of credit when teams do well and take more blame than they probably should when they don't. Our rosters were pretty middle of the road while Green was here (at best), despite our having some talented young players, and that was ultimately reflected by where we usually finished in the standings, towards the bottom. 

I think some folks are forgetting just how bad/mediocre our rosters have largely been over most of the past decade. 

And even if you consider his stint as a head coach in Jersey, that's far too small a sample size to really dwell on a whole lot, Green was never likely to be the long-term guy even before he got bumped up. New Jersey is a team that views themselves as a playoff team or better, as a team that was really hurt by injuries (and they were, not having Hamilton most of the season probably cost them a playoff spot), more than likely they'll want a higher tier coach who more established such as Berube. 

Ottawa's not in that position though, they've got a lot of younger players and more overall talent than Green ever had with the Canucks. If they can find him some actual NHL level assistants and not guys like Baumgartner I wouldn't be surprised at all if they make the playoffs next season. 

I thought we should have let Green walk as I thought he'd gotten stale, giving him an extension is part of what ultimately cost Benning his job, but Green was also working with Benning's rosters and those were typically mediocre at best. Which isn't all that shocking considering the Canucks were pretty mediocre as an organization during the Benning years. 

• Cheers 1

Literally Vancouver's WORST Head Coach since the 1980s.. (Yes, He was worse than Willie D) Even when Travis Green Coached Team Canada at the 2022 Spengler Cup, it was quite honestly Hockey Canada's worst ever showing in the 101 years that tournament has been running.. He Just doesn't have a good understanding of today's style of hockey.. I wish Ottawa the best of luck with him but I doubt he makes it to Year 3 of that deal.. Good for him getting paid though! He must be a FANTASTIC interview!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, King Heffy said:

i'm not advocating Green was a good coach, nor a bad one. 

but who would've green given ice time too if not the guys he did? Our depth, and prospect pool quality, was argueably one of the worst in the NHL when he was a coach here.

and I wouldn't put too much stock in the Devils performance. It takes time to change a system and/or culture.

I'm indifferent to Travis Green, he was the coach afterall during the bubble playoff run. I wish him the best in Ottawa and hope he's progressed as a coach.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, bh90 said:

i'm not advocating Green was a good coach, nor a bad one. 

but who would've green given ice time too if not the guys he did? Our depth, and prospect pool quality, was argueably one of the worst in the NHL when he was a coach here.

and I wouldn't put too much stock in the Devils performance. It takes time to change a system and/or culture.

I'm indifferent to Travis Green, he was the coach afterall during the bubble playoff run. I wish him the best in Ottawa and hope he's progressed as a coach.

MacEwan and Gadjovic both got waived to make room for guys who had no hope of ever turning into NHLers.

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

MacEwan and Gadjovic both got waived to make room for guys who had no hope of ever turning into NHLers.

but neither are quality NHL players to this day so in hindsight hard to judge 

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

it's actually pretty sad to think that those were two of our "top" prospects in pipeline/AHL during this Travis Green years. Hence why i think it's hard to make a determination that Travis Green was a bad coach.

He didn't have many options at his disposal