[Signing] Travis Green to Ottawa

I don't think Travis Green is a bad coach.  He got a lot out of the players that he had the first couple of years.  I think his main downfalls were not being able to adjust well as the quality of his players improved, the unbalanced composition of the roster and, other than Shaw, inexperienced/mediocre assistant coaches.  He will have some good young players to work with in Ottawa and hopefully, for him, some good assistants.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Are you kidding me? Not one coach has had the likes of Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, AND the Hughes (on the Devils), along with Hischier, and so forth. Green is a terrible coach and the breadth of work highlights that when he has a similar win rate as Willie Desjardins who isn't an NHL coach anymore AND had a far worse roster than what Green ever did have.

None of these players were what they are now when Green was coaching, some of that's on him (not using them on the PK) but some of it also comes down to each player having taken steps forward. 

He was an interim guy in Jersey, but he was also thought of well enough to have an assistant/associate role in the first place. Green was never likely to permanently hold on to the Devil's head coaching role, they view themselves as a playoff team and likely want someone more experienced like Berube. Ottawa has talent, but I can understand why a head coaching candidate with more options might not want to take on the pressure of getting Ottawa back to the playoffs, Buffalo was likely in a similar position; they were fortunate Ruff had history in Buffalo. 

His assistants in Vancouver were questionable at best, as was the general quality of those Canucks rosters. I'm going to venture that if Ottawa's bringing him in that they're aware of his past coaching history. Think whatever you want, it's not my job to change your mind, but if Ottawa can surround him with competent, NHL level assistants I don't see why Green couldn't potentially have some success there. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Some real douchey replies.   Green and Tochett are good friends that share notes.   Green is a BC boy (shame!) and more then anything, won 17 playoff games bubble or not, is right behind the coaches we've had that got us to the finals.    Not to mention those rosters which definitely weren't very good.   Aside from goaltending.  Which he for sure was aware of.    Real Guudd.  Come on we can do better than this.   Happy to see him get another shot. 

• Confused 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

None of these players were what they are now when Green was coaching, some of that's on him (not using them on the PK) but some of it also comes down to each player having taken steps forward. 

He was an interim guy in Jersey, but he was also thought of well enough to have an assistant/associate role in the first place. Green was never likely to permanently hold on to the Devil's head coaching role, they view themselves as a playoff team and likely want someone more experienced like Berube. Ottawa has talent, but I can understand why a head coaching candidate with more options might not want to take on the pressure of getting Ottawa back to the playoffs, Buffalo was likely in a similar position; they were fortunate Ruff had history in Buffalo. 

His assistants in Vancouver were questionable at best, as was the general quality of those Canucks rosters. I'm going to venture that if Ottawa's bringing him in that they're aware of his past coaching history. Think whatever you want, it's not my job to change your mind, but if Ottawa can surround him with competent, NHL level assistants I don't see why Green couldn't potentially have some success there. 

Any assistant qualified for the job will also be more qualified than Green, who has shown no sign of being intelligent enough to even set a lineup properly.  They're hiring someone who has failed at every single job he's been gifted since Portland.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Any assistant qualified for the job will also be more qualified than Green, who has shown no sign of being intelligent enough to even set a lineup properly.  They're hiring someone who has failed at every single job he's been gifted since Portland.

It's not really all that unusual for assistants to have more experience than head coaches, particularly for head coaches with less experience. And if anything, NHL teams will want experienced coaches being their assistants, it's not unusual at all for guys with head coaching experience to end up doing stints as assistants. 

Coaches are hired to be fired at the end of the day, so once could even say most coaches end up failing. Let's be real, the Canucks as a whole were pretty mediocre as a collective during those years and that wasn't all on Green, and I say that as someone who thought we shouldn't have given him that final extension. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's not really all that unusual for assistants to have more experience than head coaches, particularly for head coaches with less experience. And if anything, NHL teams will want experienced coaches being their assistants, it's not unusual at all for guys with head coaching experience to end up doing stints as assistants. 

Coaches are hired to be fired at the end of the day, so once could even say most coaches end up failing. Let's be real, the Canucks as a whole were pretty mediocre as a collective during those years and that wasn't all on Green, and I say that as someone who thought we shouldn't have given him that final extension. 

The problem is that Green hasn't shown any sign that he's capable of performing any of the duties of a head coach successfully.  He got gifted an assistant job last year and couldn't even handle that.  I just think Ottawa would be better served by hiring a coach who's demonstrated that he's qualified to coach at the professional level at some point over his career.  Green has never done that.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

I just remember those final few months with Green were so glum and gloomy and depressing and his demeanor reflected it. He's probably a decent coach but he's not a guy I'd pick to motivate a young team that will likely continue to struggle for a while.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

I just remember those final few months with Green were so glum and gloomy and depressing and his demeanor reflected it. He's probably a decent coach but he's not a guy I'd pick to motivate a young team that will likely continue to struggle for a while.

Oh yeah he's merciless against young players isn't he

He is a good coach, let’s see if Ottawa does as is suggested and really try to make some moves.

They are similar to Buffalo in that they really need to give up some young players and picks to try to be a playoff team.  They are in a cycle of drafting high but also not getting good and having to keep paying big bucks for these high picks when their ELCs run out and the team is still bad.

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's not uncommon for a young coaches first kick at the can being head coach in the NHL to not go particularly well.  I wish Green luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

He is a good coach,

Not trying to be a Richard, but what makes Green a good coach? His teams didn't start on time here, failed to protect leads because of some weak defensive shell he insisted on. His teams had zero pushback. His assistants looked like deer in headlights. I didn't see much in adjustments to game plans that weren't working. I don't see it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

There are so many things wrong with this that don't even know where to start.    Expectations rose when Green was here, with his very Green stars.  QHs wasn't anything like he is today.   EP debatable.   His defense was almost terrible.     Did you already forget we only had a couple NHL worthy D's then?   And the rising star couldn't play in his own zone?  Guess so.  Stecher yikes.   Come on man.  Myers the whipping boy.   Who now somehow several years later can all of a sudden play decent D.   It's been 10 years since we've had 6 (7) legit NHL defenseman.    Lotto like lol.   Bruce doesn't want it neither does Tochett.   Green had at best, a mediocre roster to work with and that's with some pretty homer glasses. 

Come on dude. You're pushing those goal posts further and further away. Pettersson was phenomenal when Green came in. Arguably he has played worse after Tocchet, but you can't use the excuse that Hughes and Pettersson were "not that good".

The problem wasn't Green unable to coach them. The problem was Green unable to utilize the roster to his best benefit. Every single year of his coaching tenure, he had a losing record. In fact, Willie D had a WORSE roster with no superstar players and they have an IDENTICAL win rate.

I give Green credit for the bubble, but after that phenomenal bubble performance, he couldn't get it done.

Make no mistake, Green had EVERY opportunity to handpick his rosters. He did it with Benning - and Benning even EXTENDED Green. But we don't see a winning record at all - not once.

Objectively speaking, he's not a good coach. And from the eye test, he's not a good coach either. How many unsuccessful dump and chases do we see under Green? The guy makes these cute little defensive passes that serve no real purpose. His breakouts are nowhere near as good as Tocchet's.

Tocc and Green may be friends, but the coaching that these two do are MILES apart.

• ThereItIs 1