[PGT] Shitmonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 2

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Pathetic. Refs were terrible.  Wow. Sutherland cost us tonight.  Who could have possibly seen that coming when he was pulled out of another series to ref here tonight?

Add in McDavid diving when bumped by Suter which cost us a penalty and add in McDavid knocking Zadorov down at centre ice with no penalty called.

Blah.  I love this team but I hate watching such a crappy league.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

I lost the count of us turning the puck over in the 3rd, and many of them were unforced.

We just got lazy, stopped moving the feet and kept trying to chip the puck out to the NZ even when there was a plenty of time and space. Oilers were waiting at the blueline and kept the puck in easily.

That was the 3rd period we pissed away.

Edited by 1-d
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Tocchet didn't play Hoglander for most of the 3rd period and OT.

If he is not going to play him, Hogs should be benched and Podkolzin should play.

I prefer him on Pettersson's line anyway.  Hogs can't pass and is overwhelmed by the playoff intensity.

Mikheyev had a better game and was good defensively and in the forecheck.

Remember, Podkolzin is very much use to that wide open AHL hockey

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

Yep, especially after getting us to the 2nd round I think they give Silovs one more start. If we lose the next one then we switch, but right now the team is still confident in Silovs.

Silovs was absolutely not the problem tonight.  We played timid and we paid for it.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, TortorellasRant said:

Blame Cole, we weren't going to win that anyway.

No Blame Tock-it.   Didn't he learn anything from the 1st game and have kept Cole on the bench in OT.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fan Abroad said:

This is on the Coach for letting the team sit back on a 1 goal lead with 15 minutes left. Allowed the Drai and David line get back into it and push. 

Cole is secretly playing for the Oil.

Play Mik on the 4th and put Lafferty with Petey or anybody. Mik is killing Petey. 

Canucks are the better team and Drai and David on the same line weakens the Oil. 

Canucks can win this. Sticking with my original call of 6 games

I agree. I am not sure why that was their gameplan. I am pretty sure Tochett doesn’t tell them to play that way. I think it’s something this team does when it gets nervous. It just goes into a shell. Awful to just sit back. It will always come back to haunt you.

I wouldn't say I liked the defence tonight. There are far too many weak clearing attempts, passes weren't crisp, and some bad decisions tonight. 

They need to tighten it up or we're getting run over by McDavid

Im so frustrated. Grrrr. Imagine if hughes getting high sticked draws 4. Or petey getting boarded gets called. Or when Hoglander got sacked and then it was somehow 4 on 4. Or when they held boesers stick repeatedly. Like naw, absolutely b.s by kelly sutherland tonight. Fkn crackhead needs to be fired. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Tocchet didn't play Hoglander for most of the 3rd period and OT.

If he is not going to play him, Hogs should be benched and Podkolzin should play.

I prefer him on Pettersson's line anyway.  Hogs can't pass and is overwhelmed by the playoff intensity.

Mikheyev had a better game and was good defensively and in the forecheck.

Maybe it'd be best to move Lafferty back up to Peteys line and have Hoglander on the 4th line to hopefully feed on the crappy bottom 6 of the Oilers.

Our d would be helped by the play being in the other end a little more. The mistakes wouldnt be so magnified.   The oilers other three lines suck, canucks should have pressed more.  What was frustrating is watching them collapse in a defensive shell every time 97 was on the ice.  LA kings strong suit was that type of game and they couldnt pull it off.  Hopefully we will see some more assertive play in the next game.

Yeah the reffing sucked too.  Aside from the obvious high stick, the worst one was the slew foot like hit on Hughes by Kane.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Beyond Zadorov, all the 5 dman were really really bad tonight.

Legit like none of the 5 other dman could move the puck or defend to save their life. 

Hughes - too slow to move the puck, held onto it too long in a lot of situations and got stripped or out muscled

Hronek - couldn't move the puck out the zone numerous of times and lost all his battles

Myers - He is so uncoordinated. You either get stellar play or bewildering play from him.

Soucy - guy looks lost out there for a 2nd straight game. Missed assignments and making bad reads in all three zones, the worst of the 5 tonight.

Cole - just doesn't look quick enough to make the right plays off his stick or reads defensively. Just molasses out there.

Great Analysis!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, highandinside said:

I would stay with Silovs. He played well. Hard to really fault the guy. 

The only concern I have and this dates back to the Preds is we are plating passively and conservativly to protect the rookie goaltender. Subconsciously the team is probably hesitant to be too risky with him back there. 

Either way try to win one in Edmonton and pray Demko is back by game 6. 

Edited by 24K

2 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Canucks as a team were way too fucking timid. Cole can absolutely be blamed for that dog shit play though. That's fucking brutal 😂 

Yes, but we weren't in that position because of him. On the tying goal for example Soucy decided to go for a hit instead of realizing it was McDavid coming at him and Myers fell down. In the 3rd period Hronek bobbled a ton of pucks which allowed Edmonton to gain the offensive zone or keep it in the offensive zone. Those weren't on Cole.

Just now, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

The Refs are going to get Hughes seriously injured

Sutherland belongs in prison for criminal negligence at this point.  His blatant corruption is a threat to player safety.

• Cheers 1

Canucks did not have a good game.

Much worse play than Wednesday night.

They need to get back to their pressure game and stop the collapse to the net in their own zone.

Tocchet needs to make those adjustments.

Hoglander should be replaced by Podkolzin.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Win2024 said:

NHL reffing follows zero standard. What they choose to call and what they choose to ignore makes zero sense. It ruins the game for me tbh. 

It’s weird that they actually ignore penalties. It is just so corrupt when you do that. It makes me lose respct

for the league when things like this happen.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Sutherland belongs in prison for criminal negligence at this point.  His blatant corruption is a threat to player safety.

The directive comes from the top.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, hockeyville88 said:

We got away from our staples and let them take it to us 

They shouldn’t be able go just play 1 line and get away with it. We are more balanced but didn’t deserve it today 

And all we did was turning the puck over and chasing around that single line all night long.