[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's not giving him linemates he can succeed with and, while petey us great defensively, the pushing of the defensive, grind it out defense narrative drags down the offense.  

On the pp, every team line two guys up on Petey's side and as soon as there is a hint if the puck going to hum, both guys jump out to take the 1 timer away.  Petey has, essentially become the decoy on the pp.  RT has made no move to change the pp in any way and it is grossly predictable and stationary.

There is a lot to unpack here but I will try. Correct me if I a mistaken, but as  I understand it, you think Tocchet does not let Petey:

1. play with linemates he can succeed with;

2. move from the face off dot on the PP.; and

3. prioritize offence.

With respect to Petey’s linemates, what linemates do you think he would succeed with and why? Petey plays on the PP with the most skilled players on the team, and he has not been producing. He plays with various quick skaters and muckers at 5v5 and that doesn’t work either. Why would playing with more skilled linemates help him at 5v5 when it doesn’t work 5v4? How much of his struggles with various players are on him and/or roster construction rather than the coach? Also, as the soon to be highest paid player on the team, is it not his responsibility to elevate those around him? Sedins made players like Carter and Burrows look like first line forwards. Crosby turned AHL plugs into goal scorers. Kucherov lead his team in scoring by an absurd number of points this year. Stars of the team have to find a way to be productive.

You suggest Petey only plays in one spot on the PP and then attribute this to coaching. However, Petey has also spent significant time on the PP this season in front of the net and the high slot/blue line. I agree with you that there has been a lack of movement on the PP recently, but I don’t think it’s fair to just attribute that to the coach without more evidence - it could just as easily be attributed to a lack of execution by the players. Tocchet has even said he wants Petey to move his feet, which is the opposite of standing still at the face off dot.

With respect to your concern about not letting Petey prioritize offence,  I think you need to provide some deeper analysis to prove Petey’s current struggles are Tocchet’s fault. The system hasn’t changed all year, and Petey put up points for most of it. While his point totals dipped, he ultimately still produced. Currently, he isn’t producing outside of a handful of secondary assists and a PP goal (scored from where?). Nashville defended well but the Oilers still have players regularly missing their assignment or getting beat, so there are opportunities to attack

the middle of the ice. When the Canucks match the Oilers’ intensity and start winning battles to maintain possession, it feels like they can score on demand (e.g. see last night). 

To me, Petey’s struggles seem to be mental rather than due to injury since he was called out and addressed the media. Is that caused by coaching, the tighter checking that followed the all-star break, or something else? I can’t say for sure but to me is seems that, whatever it is, there is more evidence that it’s on the player rather than the coach.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

36 minutes ago, Devron said:

Theres some truth to that. Should have just left the guy alone and signed him in the offseason. The pressure became huge to sign before 

If he didnt sign, he was getting traded at the deadline. This management group doesnt screw around. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Trebreh said:

a Sedin PP would be more aggressive on the down low tho. this PP just use the 2mins to practice passing to each other.

when we pull the goaltender we're more direct with our attack, but when on the PP we're trying to be the harlem globetrotters. 

This is what I really don’t get. They execute the 6 on 5 well and seem to score at will, not sure why they can’t seem

to gain the zone or execute 5 on 4.

Been saying it all year. Wish they’d ditch the stupid drop pass. Use it once in a while, but it’s every f’in time. So predictable and teams just line up on their line to prevent anyone coming in with speed. Just rush in a line (like they do 6-5). You’ve got the extra man, gaining the zone should not be that hard.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

What I heard/learned was that it's not reviewable because it wasn't a match penalty.  If it had been it could be.

That may not be good information but that's what I've been told (here/earlier).

And it wasn't a high sticking penalty, as they assessed. It was definitely a cross check so not sure why they decided to switch it up. 

The nhl can review anything they want if it’s a suspendable offence, it’s becoming clear Edmonton gets special treatment from the league, also note draisaitl drew a high sticking penalty that missed his face in the first period he embellished it and the league had lots of opportunity to review that as well 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Fuck it. Just go all in. We are at home. I want to embarrass these bastards. 

Suter           Miller              Boeser 

Höglander  Pettersson      Lekkerimäki

Joshua.       Lindholm        Garland 

Åman          Blueger           Mikheyev 

Just let the Swedes play together.  Åman is good on the penalty kill. So I would take Lafferty and Karlsson out. 

Let’s gooooooo!!!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

The nhl can review anything they want if it’s a suspendable offence, it’s becoming clear Edmonton gets special treatment from the league, also note draisaitl drew a high sticking penalty that missed his face in the first period he embellished it and the league had lots of opportunity to review that as well 

It was still a penalty, and a stupid one at that. Miller cost us a goal there. It may not have been a high stick but it was certainly interference. The puck was no where close to them.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It certainly looks that way. Zadorov was right about them protecting their investment. Such a fucking horribly run league. If it wasn’t for the Canucks, I wouldn’t watch it. 

Just wondering do you watch nhl play offs after the Canucks are out?

I don't. I'm pretty sure if viewer ship is high they get more advertisers which means more money. I can't bring myself to support this league when they piss me off so much.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Difference is, Sedins had a partner to pass the puck to.

I know it won't matter for this playoff run, but it's why I was excited about Lekkerimäki's draft. I'm hoping he could be a winger that clicks with Pettersson.

Petey is injured plain and simple. I don’t care that Tocchet said he’s not. Knoblauch also said Draisatl had an equipment issue. It’s the playoffs you don’t disclose injury if you can play through it. Yes, Draisatl is playing through whatever ails him better than Petey right now so spare me the comparison and focus on the overall point. 

25 minutes ago, Guadeloupe Jones said:

That Petey interview was a tough watch.  I feel for the kid - he looks and sounds defeated.  

He needs better linemates. No doubt.  He also has looked awful on the power play with good line mates. 

He needs to get whatever help he needs mentally and get his mind right.  The media is part of his responsibilities. Hopefully he has 92.8 million reasons to spend the off season becoming a dominating force (consistently).

Your best players need to be your best players to win a cup.

-Guadeloupe Jones 

Honestly that interview annoyed the hell out of me, dodging questions, barely taking accountability, acting annoyed to be there in the first place. He did nothing to regain the confident of the fan base. Thank god we didn’t give this kid the C. Love Petey but either you’re hurt or can’t hang when it gets tough and if you’re hurt you’ve been hurt since the all star break…

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

You know EP doesn't need better linemates,he needs to start playing better.

They briefly tried the lotto line and again EP stunk.

If he is injured or anything then make a change , if not he's got to be sneaky by the net and get a rebound or tip in.Anything to get a goal and start playing better.That is on him.

Edited by cripplereh
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

People should watch this interview. I don't know why they posted a shortened one on Twitter.

The last 5 minutes of the full length interview was a great listen. Someone asked Tocchet about why he's being such a hardass and he simply replied with how the Canucks were tired of losing, so he's driving it into player's heads that this is what it takes to win, so seize the moment. 

Seems like you two are not satisfied with what's provided here.

28 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Petey is injured plain and simple. I don’t care that Tocchet said he’s not. Knoblauch also said Draisatl had an equipment issue. It’s the playoffs you don’t disclose injury if you can play through it. Yes, Draisatl is playing through whatever ails him better than Petey right now so spare me the comparison and focus on the overall point. 

Not bad enough that he can't still play and perform. Other Canucks players are playing injured too. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

Holy fk, look at his body language, were more fked than i thought 

his answers make him sound like a broken man

think he needs to go put on 20 pounds over the summer, he'll get stronger and when his muscles match his cerebral ability thats when we'll get a consistent monster

7 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

You know EP doesn't need better linemates,he needs to start playing better.

They briefly tried the lotto line and again EP stunk.

If he is injured or anything then make a change , if not he's got to be sneaky by the net and get a rebound or tip in.Anything to get a goal and start playing better.That is on him.

The question is whom do you bring in for the change? He is the best option at this time, and not a liability on defense. The only thing you can do is play him with better players where he can get some more space and get some chances. Unfortunately he is hobbled by something, and isn't able to play like he did at the beginning of the season.

4 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

his answers make him sound like a broken man

think he needs to go put on 20 pounds over the summer, he'll get stronger and when his muscles match his cerebral ability thats when we'll get a consistent monster

Sounds like a player that can't play at 100% bc of some injury he is not able to disclose. Doesn't look broken at all