Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

36 minutes ago, Sapper said:

But he hasn't really stated his plans ... Just his ideas

It's the what's and ifs that are missing and those matter 

To fund Harper's business tax cuts he legislated the poorest seniors would have to wait till 67 to get OAS and that was never mentioned prior to his majority term. It was cruel and was done to our working poor .... Seniors so poor that welfare often pays more 

His ideas on housing have been copied by the libs and we see several provinces going to court to block it as it by passes their provincial government ( provinces don't want communities not supporting them getting fed money ,)

So the big problem is PP 's ideas without the "what's being cut to pay for it" and the answer to after killing pharmacare / dental and child care programs & what specifically is going to replace them and show us the math on how that will leave those impacted at least as well off or better than those 3 programs ..... And of course who he will be giving those tax savings to ? ( Who gets the money )

Probably shut down Veterans Offices.  They did it last time

• Vintage 1

I see most of the suggested promises from the conservatives revolve around threats.

Except for energy in which they promise to build more pipelines.  But how?  They've spent years screaming about Trudeau building one single pipeline and how awful and expensive it is.

So....

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If young people are better off today than in 2015, then why do the polls show that the majority of young people today are voting for the Conservative Party?  Can you explain that?

Because they're naive and haven't, as working adults, lived through (or been able to vote for) a conservative government that is in fact worse at basically every metric they are (or should be) concerned about.

Because they're emotionally (vs intellectually) reacting to a world that has gotten harder in the last ~10 years due to a list of things that have little to do with Canadian government (global aging population, global pandemic, global inflation, global climate change).

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because they're naive and haven't, as working adults, lived through (or been able to vote for) a conservative government that is in fact worse at basically every metric they are (or should be) concerned about.

Because they're emotionally (vs intellectually) reacting to a world that has gotten harder in the last ~10 years due to a list of things that have little to do with Canadian government (global aging population, global pandemic, global inflation, global climate change).

No, young people are not naive and they are not reacting emotionally. 

They voted for Trudeau in 2015 because Trudeau said he would make their lives better. He didn’t. He made it worse. So they aren’t voting for him anymore. 

Pretty simple really. To suggest these young people aren’t as intellectually savvy as someone like yourself which is basically what you are saying by using buzz words like being too “naive” or too “emotional” is wrong and disrespectful. 

At the end of the day, Trudeau is never going to help these young people. Not now, not ever. They are actually “smart” enough to know this. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I see most of the suggested promises from the conservatives revolve around threats.

Except for energy in which they promise to build more pipelines.  But how?  They've spent years screaming about Trudeau building one single pipeline and how awful and expensive it is.

So....

Be careful Hippy.  Some posters might find offence in you using that word. It’s a trigger for some. 

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They voted for Trudeau in 2015 because Trudeau said he would make their lives better. He didn’t. He made it worse. So they aren’t voting for him anymore. 

Pretty simple really. To suggest these young people aren’t as intellectually savvy as someone like yourself which is basically what you are saying by using buzz words like being too “naive” or too “emotional” is wrong and disrespectful. 

At the end of the day, Trudeau is never going to help these young people. Not now, not ever. They are actually “smart” enough to know this. 

Exactly.  If you don't know Trudeau is great and if you don't like him it's because you're too stupid to know how awesome he is.  Maybe if they insult conservative voters more they will change their minds🙃

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Exactly.  If you don't know Trudeau is great and if you don't like him it's because you're too stupid to know how awesome he is.  Maybe if they insult conservative voters more they will change their minds🙃

Explain how PP is going to help them. 

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Explain how Trudeau how helped young Canadians

I already gave you that link Ricky, we can go over them one by one if you like: https://www.polimeter.org/en/trudeau?gb=category&s[]=60&s[]=61&sb=progress_desc

So far:

14,000 new daycare spaces, which helps young families

Huge investments in public transportation, that helps young people

There are dozens of these on the site I gave you, is there a particular category you want to go over?

Just because you and Petey keep saying "nothing" has been done, doesn't make it so.

-

Now you, tell me specifically what PP is going to do.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Explain how Trudeau how helped young Canadians

That's it? Sorry Ricky, but it sounds like Peewee Herman saying 'I know you are but what am I?'.

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, they are. And easily manipulated with the (emotional) rage farming  that's rampant on social media, in which they are heavily active.

The world made it worse. How are the even more corporate, anti -union, services and social saftey net slashing, axe the tax/climate change denying Cons going to improve things like income disparity, protecting the most marginalized, climate change and it's myriad costs etc?

FYI, they're not. 

Naive and emotional are buzzwords? 🤔 No, it's actually pretty evidential.

Who cares about Trudeau? Vote for policy. The Libs may not be great (admittedly) but they're FAR better than the Cons (especially in a minority with NDP backing) .Voting even more against your own best interests in spite, is the very definition of naivety and emotion. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, they are. And easily manipulated with the (emotional) rage farming  that's rampant on social media, in which they are heavily active.

The world made it worse. How are the even more corporate, anti -union, services and social saftey net slashing, axe the tax/climate change denying Cons going to improve things like income disparity, protecting the most marginalized, climate change and it's myriad costs etc?

FYI, they're not. 

Naive and emotional are buzzwords? 🤔 No, it's actually pretty evidential.

Who cares about Trudeau? Vote for policy. The Libs may not be great (admittedly) but they're FAR better than the Cons (especially in a minority with NDP backing) .Voting even more against your own best interests in spite, is the very definition of naivety and emotion. 

why would any young person that needs help think the CPC would be there for them? thats freaking hilarious. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

I don't particularly like Trudeau. That said, I don't really care about it him all that much either. This has nothing to do with Trudeau. Frankly leadership doesn't really matter all that much. They're just the face of a party unless you're actually in their riding.

You know what I do like and care about? Policies. Voting for the Cons is voting against the vast majority of Canadian's own best interests.

• ThereItIs 2

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I already gave you that link Ricky, we can go over them one by one if you like: https://www.polimeter.org/en/trudeau?gb=category&s[]=60&s[]=61&sb=progress_desc

So far:

14,000 new daycare spaces, which helps young families

Huge investments in public transportation, that helps young people

There are dozens of these on the site I gave you, is there a particular category you want to go over?

Just because you and Petey keep saying "nothing" has been done, doesn't make it so.

-

Now you, tell me specifically what PP is going to do.

Ahhh yes daycare. Where I live it's almost impossible to find daycare. Don't see how that's helping young Canadians 

Public transportation is a joke and a after thought in the capital of British Columbia.

Definitely better in Vancouver but that's not a huge bar to clear.

And I gave you a list of promises he hasn't kept. And quite frankly the most important ones and the ones that will most likely cost him his job

I gave you a link. Don't like his promises, don't vote for him 🤷

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ahhh yes daycare. Where I live it's almost impossible to find daycare. Don't see how that's helping young Canadians 

so the 14,000 new ones, whats that?

Public transportation is a joke and a after thought in the capital of British Columbia.

Definitely better in Vancouver but that's not a huge bar to clear.

thats funny Ricky. Why do you guys do this? you can't just keep saying "nothing" when billions have been put into new infrastructure. Go tell Doug Ford there's no new transit money. 

And I gave you a list of promises he hasn't kept. And quite frankly the most important ones and the ones that will most likely cost him his job

I gave you a link. Don't like his promises, don't vote for him 🤷

pretty weak tea, Ricky. The link you sent isn't actually a list of anything specific, there isn't one thing in there that you can point to in a concrete way.

If this is all you have....

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

why would any young person that needs help think the CPC would be there for them? thats freaking hilarious. 

Because they're mad (AKA emotional @Elias Pettersson) and naive having never worked/elected/lived as adults under a Conservative government to know the realities of what that means (slashed social safety nets, slashed public services, anti-union/worker, selling off Canadian assets to foreign entities, climate change denial etc, etc).

And heck, I'm not even saying they shouldn't be mad. Boomers gamed the system, outnumber them (aging population), handed over too much power to corporations, and did it all while pillaging the planet causing climate change that's going to cost them billions of dollars, hardship and massive changes in their lifestyles. The same lifestyles those Boomers enjoyed. And those Boomers now need to be cared for in their twilight years, costing even more money.

And on top of that, they had to go through a global pandemic, a couple of absoluuetly stupid wars etc, with all the inflation and myriad other issues they've caused. 

They should be pissed. Leaning even further in to those issues by voting for the Cons, hardly seems a reasoned, rational response.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so the 14,000 new ones, whats that?

thats funny Ricky. Why do you guys do this? you can't just keep saying "nothing" when billions have been put into new infrastructure. Go tell Doug Ford there's no new transit money. 

pretty weak tea, Ricky. The link you sent isn't actually a list of anything specific, there isn't one thing in there that you can point to in a concrete way.

If this is all you have....

14000 is a literal drop in the bucket with how bad it is. 

Again, infrastructure is sooooo behind that dumping money into it now is just making up for past deficiencies 

I provided a list of promises Trudeau made he hasn't kept. Some partly kept promises along the way don't make up for his other failures. He's been in power for 9 years. That's what's weak. He's a terrible leader and it's time to move on

Edited by Ricky Ravioli
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Again, infrastructure is sooooo behind that dumping money into it now is just making up for past deficiencies 

I provided a list of promises Trudeau made he hasn't kept. Some partly kept promises along the way don't make up for his other failures. He's been in power for 9 years. That's what's weak. He's a terrible leader and it's time to move on

But Ricky, nothing you've posted shows pp would better , and CPC history shows it will likely get worse.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But Ricky, nothing you've posted shows pp would better , and CPC history shows it will likely get worse.

I'm curious why you think the liberal party is polling sooo badly right now. If they are keeping promises and all that?

Honestly I don't even know if PP will be better. What I know is after 9 years, anything is worth a shot over Trudeau

Also what history? And define "worse" because I'm assuming that just means policies you don't like

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I think we can agree that while not nothing, they aren't "good enough". That's pretty much the liberal slogan "we're ok, but not good enough" 😂 Now show me how the Cons will be better? Because everything in their policies and history says they'll in fact make those problems worse, not better.

So what's worse? "Ok, but not good enough"? Or "We're way worse, but we're not the other guys!"?

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think we can agree that while not nothing, they aren't "good enough". That's pretty much the liberal slogan "we're ok, but not good enough". Now show me how the Cons will be better? Because everything in their policies and history says they'll in fact make those problems worse, not better.

So what's worse? "Ok, but not good enough"? Or "We're way worse, but we're not the other guys!"?

Well, I mean, with a logic of "anything is worth a shot over Trudeau", I'm surprised the poster masquerading as some kinda pasta (fantastic restaurant in point grey that was, while it was still there... but I digress) hasn't decided to fall in line behind the NDP.  Or even the Greens.  Ou le Bloc Quebecois.  Those are also part of "anything", and they have the benefit of not having the damning track record of what the current Official Opposition did while in power.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think we can agree that while not nothing, they aren't "good enough". That's pretty much the liberal slogan "we're ok, but not good enough" 😂 Now show me how the Cons will be better? Because everything in their policies and history says they'll in fact make those problems worse, not better.

I love this "sHoW mE hOw ThEy WiLl Be BeTtEr" Like I'm not running for prime minister. It isn't my job to show you anything. All I can do is share my opinion and why I feel that way