Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Trudeau has condemned Hamas.  PP & Singh have too.   Still waiting for PP to say anything at all about Alex Jones.

PP's dad is gay, you'd think he'd be running to condemn Jones but 🤷‍♀️

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

why is it lame? Skippy loves being abrasive towards others. Its his thing. Why is it OK for Skippy and not for us?

Is PP on this message board or something? Why you sooo offended by him? Taking out your issues with him on me isn't the adult way to go about it

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Yet your posts over the last couple of days seem to be just echoing the same thought over and over.   43% of Canadians can't all be extremists I hear.

I get like 4 different people quoting me at any different time. Unfortunately it leads to me having to repeat myself 🤷

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I get like 4 different people quoting me at any different time. Unfortunately it leads to me having to repeat myself 🤷

Is that the echo chamber part?   Multiple people disagreeing with you at the same time?

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Is PP on this message board or something? Why you sooo offended by him? Taking out your issues with him on me isn't the adult way to go about it

I'm not taking anything out on you.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Spring Salmon said:

Can I discount the opinions of the National Post as readily as others discount the opinions of CBC/CNN?    Either way, I see no validation of the word 'barely'.

From your article:

A video statement released earlier this week by senior Hamas leader Dr. Ghazi Hamad thanked Canada for their controversial support of a non-binding United Nations resolution calling for a ceasefire in war-torn Gaza — referring to a joint statement issued by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau alongside his Australian and New Zealand counterparts calling for a “sustainable ceasefire” between Israel and Hamas.

Calling for a ceasefire prompted a thankyou from Hamas.  This is sad according to one of your previous posts.   Was the call for a ceasefire sad or the response from Hamas?

Hamas can say what they will.   Trudeau, PP, and Singh, along with others, heard what they said and and condemned Hamas.  So, they took action.  PP heard what Alex Jones said and did nothing.   No sadness there?

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My guy? You think I personally know him or something?

Also that's a pathetic attempt to excuse that lame stuff. It's no wonder this entire thread is a giant echo chamber 

😂 echo chamber?  There are all sorts of people with different views in here.  Just cause the majority think your guy is a moron, doesn’t make it an echo chamber 🤦 

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/michael-taube-does-it-matter-that-alex-jones-endorsed-pierre-poilievre-not-in-the-slightest

Michael Taube: Does it matter that Alex Jones endorsed Pierre Poilievre? Not in the slightest

*excerpt*

"Why? Because most intelligent and rational-thinking Canadians will realize this supposedly big breaking news event isn’t worthy of their consideration."

*excerpt*

"And besides, Poilievre doesn’t need to address Jones’s endorsement in any great detail. A few media organizations reported that the Opposition Leader’s Office said on April 5, “We do not follow the individual you mention or listen to what he says.” That’s more than enough. Anything else would only serve to provide legitimacy to the statement itself, and potentially open the doors to an even wider discussion and more conspiracy theories. As the old saying goes, less is more."

Hasn't CBC reprted this?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/michael-taube-does-it-matter-that-alex-jones-endorsed-pierre-poilievre-not-in-the-slightest

Michael Taube: Does it matter that Alex Jones endorsed Pierre Poilievre? Not in the slightest

*excerpt*

"Why? Because most intelligent and rational-thinking Canadians will realize this supposedly big breaking news event isn’t worthy of their consideration."

*excerpt*

"And besides, Poilievre doesn’t need to address Jones’s endorsement in any great detail. A few media organizations reported that the Opposition Leader’s Office said on April 5, “We do not follow the individual you mention or listen to what he says.” That’s more than enough. Anything else would only serve to provide legitimacy to the statement itself, and potentially open the doors to an even wider discussion and more conspiracy theories. As the old saying goes, less is more."

Hasn't CBC reprted this?

For Me GIF by Liz Huett

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Question 

Is Pierre popular? Or is Trudeau unpopular?

Both, pretty much any figurehead politician with extensive term will get stale amongst the citizens of x country I'd imagine. The longer a figurehead holds office the more history there is to draw on. If the liberals were running a different candidate there'd be less ammunition to fire at their candidate with. As seen in this thread, Trudeau isn't even necessarily popular amongst those who'd prefer him to win, but he's still frequently viewed as being a better option than Pierre. 

Pierre is popular amongst those he's made efforts to appeal to, which has been well documented. He doesn't appeal to everyone with conservative values because of the social aspects of his pandering, and some of his views, but he'll likely still get some votes from folks like that. He also gets the benefit of the doubt from some folks who are simply tired of Trudeau for whatever reason. Thing is, some folks will end up voting against their best interests because they're tired of having Trudeau as the figurehead. 

Folks need to focus more on platforms, promises, and so on than individual party leaders, which isn't to say ignore the party leaders. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

This thread is going to be hilarious if PP ends up winning. The amount of crying and whining that will be done is sad

we will have had 10 years of "lefitie' government, its expected that they won't likely win.

Now if PP manages to lose, that would be pretty damn funny.

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Do you think political leaders are more concerned about your opinion or their polling?

I've already done all that. I don't need to do that on this board for you. My issues with him clearly are no where near as large as yours 🤷

You have constructed a circular argument.

Poilievre is a good leader because he is popular. --> he's polling well so he must be doing something right --> he's doing a great job so far because his polling numbers are so good.

This isn't even a gotcha question.  You just can't come up with anything good about Pierre Poilievre (other than popularity) without trying to dump on Trudeau.  Does he have strong principles?  Nope - doesn't talk about his own beliefs much.  Does he show compassion?  Nope - doesn't interact with people much (unless it's a political rally).  Does he show honesty or intelligence?  No  - he has been busted for lying through entire speeches, and when confronted by media about, proceeds to simply attack them personally.

How would you define in simple terms his entire platform anything beyond "F*** Trudeau"?  Indulge us.  You are here posting to people, trying to mock "the left", so have some balls to answer a simple question here.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This thread is going to be hilarious if PP ends up winning. The amount of crying and whining that will be done is sad

Some of us are already expecting him to win.  This is why I think you and Poilievre have so much more in common.  You only care about winning and "owning the libs" than him actually leading the country in a good direction.

Still waiting for you define that "good direction", BTW.  And no - "undoing the damage Trudeau did" is not a valid answer to that.  Give me some hard policy opinions, man.  I want to know what you think about PP's future fiscal policy, his future foreign policy, his future social policy.  Stop wasting time talking about polls and popularity - everyone here knows how to read a poll.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Both, pretty much any figurehead politician with extensive term will get stale amongst the citizens of x country I'd imagine. The longer a figurehead holds office the more history there is to draw on. If the liberals were running a different candidate there'd be less ammunition to fire at their candidate with. As seen in this thread, Trudeau isn't even necessarily popular amongst those who'd prefer him to win, but he's still frequently viewed as being a better option than Pierre. 

Pierre is popular amongst those he's made efforts to appeal to, which has been well documented. He doesn't appeal to everyone with conservative values because of the social aspects of his pandering, and some of his views, but he'll likely still get some votes from folks like that. He also gets the benefit of the doubt from some folks who are simply tired of Trudeau for whatever reason. Thing is, some folks will end up voting against their best interests because they're tired of having Trudeau as the figurehead. 

Folks need to focus more on platforms, promises, and so on than individual party leaders, which isn't to say ignore the party leaders. 

Agreed. I have to say, it's a bit odd that I see so many people who claim to be Liberal, or at least progressive voters, all of a sudden ready to vote for PP, just because they don't like Justin....

Yeah, lets just go ahead and throw out all of our principles and political beliefs, because of the guy leading the party. :classic_rolleyes:

Gotta say, it kind of makes me doubt their claims of being "progressives" in the first place.....unless of course, they're abandoning Justin to vote for Jag....

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Really sad that you'll find it funny seeing people unhappy with Nazis vermin running Canada.  Says a lot about you that you think that's funnier than all the inbred morons with the F Trudeau stickers.

• Haha 1
  • Wiener 1

13 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

We'll see.   All us libs survived Mulroney and Harper.   I never cried or whined.  I just waited it out.

Edited by Satchmo