[Signing] Anaheim Re-signs Trevor Zegras

With that contract he should have got 4 years and walked himself into a ufa position, I get he’s a 60-70 point guy with character questions but damn he shoulda signed a 1 year or 4 year with those kinda numbers, ducks management gets a W here, stays under team control on a 3 year prove it being paid like a 2nd liner for probable 1st line production 

4 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

With that contract he should have got 4 years and walked himself into a ufa position, I get he’s a 60-70 point guy with character questions but damn he shoulda signed a 1 year or 4 year with those kinda numbers, ducks management gets a W here, stays under team control on a 3 year prove it being paid like a 2nd liner for probable 1st line production 

Decent chance management wasn't as stupid as Toronto's and told him that he had the choice of signing for an acceptable contract length or making $0.

• Upvote 1

Tidy bit of work for Anaheim, just because they have the available cap space doesn't mean they have to spend it. He'll be a 25 year-old RFA when his deal is up and if he's proven his worth a bigger contract and the large cap hit he wants he'll get it. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see him prove he's worth it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Decent chance management wasn't as stupid as Toronto's and told him that he had the choice of signing for an acceptable contract length or making $0.

Anaheim run by the "little ball of hate" Toronto was run by a guy still looking for his lunch money. 

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's Patrick Kane 2.0. Eventually, when he's about 31, he'll finally grow up and he'll probably also get 100+ points eventually.

although I don't watch a lot of Ducks games, he seems like a selfish kind of player, so with the young new core coming up there, it's guaranteed he'll hit 100 points at some point

Bridge deal at a great price.

Seeing a lot of comments in here hating on the guy? I'll never agree with that. Zegras is awesome. The Ducks have been utter dogshit so no surprise his stats haven't been great in certain areas and he might look like a disinterested asshole sometimes. Remind us of anyone??? cough cough JT.

Still wish we'd been able to draft him at 10OA right before the damn Ducks snagged him. No knock on Podz, but we all know that's who the org wanted. And frankly so did I. And I would kill to have him in Vancouver rn.

Zegras had 2 60pt seasons on his ELC as did Elias Pettersson. Anaheim got Zegras for nearly 1.5m less that EP on the same length bridge deal, seems to be a good deal for the team if he progresses. Don't think he has the teammates to get near EP40 territory yet but he is younger. 

IMO, solid signing by Anaheim...too many players now get overpaid to early or they get the big $ without committing long term. They can hold out, get signing bonus and low salaries as their agents can be ruthless when a team has a GM like Benning for instance

I think this is a smart contract for Anaheim and good on them to not cave. If Zegras cracks 80pts this year Anaheim might wish they've gone longer, but at this moment this makes sense for them. 

Edited by Wing
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Viking said:

Zegras had 2 60pt seasons on his ELC as did Elias Pettersson. Anaheim got Zegras for nearly 1.5m less that EP on the same length bridge deal, seems to be a good deal for the team if he progresses. Don't think he has the teammates to get near EP40 territory yet but he is younger. 

IMO, solid signing by Anaheim...too many players now get overpaid to early or they get the big $ without committing long term. They can hold out, get signing bonus and low salaries as their agents can be ruthless when a team has a GM like Benning for instance

EP plays defense though, Zegras is a one trick pony in 1 zone

• Cheers 1

I think this is a decent signing for both sides. Zegras is extremely talented in the offensive zone. He also has some deficiencies on defence as well as “team first” mentality. The rumours of $4 million would have been low and the comparisons to Petey are not even close. Petey is a better all round player and team mate. This keeps him under club control for a reasonable price. If he out performs this he will get paid the big bucks and if he doesn’t then Anaheim is in a good spot to trade or retain him for cheap.