[Article] Canucks’ Joshua using wake-up call from Tocchet as learning experience

RWJC

Canucks’ Joshua using wake-up call from Tocchet as learning experience

VANCOUVER — On the Monday that once-glittering Vancouver Canuck prospect Jack Rathbone cleared waivers and reported to the minors with former first-round pick Vasily Podkolzin, winger Dakota Joshua didn’t need any reminders about how precious and fleeting the opportunity to play in the National Hockey League can be.

Joshua’s reality check came last week when Canucks coach Rick Tocchet bluntly told reporters that the 27-year-old needed to “pick it up” if he wanted to stay in Vancouver.

“Quite frankly — I’m not going to get into some other factors — but he’s got to try to win a job,” Tocchet said last Tuesday. “The job is not there. There are guys breathing down (his neck) that want jobs. There’s a lot of other factors that I’m not going to get into, but, yeah, he’s got to pick it up.”

That tough love may turn out to be another building block in Joshua’s career.

“No one obviously likes hearing that,” Joshua told Sportsnet on Monday. “But at the same time, you like when people are straight up and that’s what Toc is. For him to come out and be straight up, even though I didn’t like it. . . that’s what I needed. And now it’s about getting on the other side of that and being somebody that he talks highly of.”

Joshua is heading in the right direction — north Dakota instead of south Dakota.

“There’s been a response that I like,” Tocchet confirmed. “He has played better. I know there’s another level, but he has played better. He’s also taking the initiative to seek out our trainers, our strength coaches, to get to another level. I don’t know if it was criticism or whether he’s taken my advice (about) where he should have been, but I think he’s had four or five good days. Now it’s a matter of. . . consistency.”

For the first time in his career, Joshua became a full-time NHL player last season after signing as a free agent with the Canucks. The 79 games he logged were nearly twice as many as the 42 NHL appearances he made over three seasons in the St. Louis Blues organization.

Given more opportunity by Tocchet than previous coach Bruce Boudreau, Joshua elevated his game after the January bench change. He became a penalty-kill regular, reduced his penalty minutes while increasing his hits, and finished with 11 goals and 23 points on average ice time of 11:31.

The six-foot-three forward from Michigan is big, fast, physical and tough — all attributes that are not in great abundance on the Canucks. Everyone figured Joshua was on his way as an NHL player. And that might have been the problem because maybe Joshua felt that way, too.

“Human nature, for sure, you can let your mind slip that way,” he said. “But you see every day that there are good players that don’t play in this league. It’s waking up and realizing how special it is to play in the NHL every day and not letting that mindset creep in.”

Tocchet’s comments last week purged Joshua of any complacency he may have felt.

The “other factors” the coach alluded to were largely about conditioning.

“He wasn’t in horrible shape, but he wasn’t in the shape that I felt he should be after four months,” Tocchet explained.

Joshua said: “Obviously, what I thought was good enough wasn’t where they wanted me to be. But you can’t go back and, you know, re-do the summer at this point. It’s about. . . making a step forward and doing what you can to make up the lost ground.”

This is why Joshua sought help from the Canucks training staff, who have set up a conditioning program for him.

A fourth- or fifth-line player since training camp opened in Victoria, Joshua was promoted for Monday’s practice at the University of British Columbia to the third line, beside centre Pius Suter and opposite Nils Hoglander.

Sunday’s truckload of pre-season cuts reduced Tocchet’s roster to just 25 players, including injured winger Ilya Mikheyev, and the Canucks are down to their final two pre-season games. They play the Seattle Kraken Wednesday in Abbotsford, B.C.

Tocchet said Joshua has earned the opportunity he is getting this week.

“He’s a big puzzle piece for this organization — a big guy that can penalty kill and can forecheck,” Tocchet said. “That’s a big thing that we need. We need him to be that guy.”

This has been a learning experience for Joshua, who sounds determined now to make sure he deserves a second, full NHL season so that it can be better than the first.

“Maybe show people that it wasn’t a fluke,” he said. “In my mind, it’s still proving that I deserve to be here and just chasing it game after game. (Compared to) last year, I look to maybe not get off to a slow start and be able to be more comfortable right away. And hopefully that shows in the results. I’m just building off last year and making sure I do better than what I did before.”

ICE CHIPS — Top centre Elias Pettersson missed Monday’s practice with what Tocchet said is a cold, but should be back with the group on Tuesday. . . During what have become daily questions about the Canucks’ defence pairings and, especially, who will partner Quinn Hughes, Tocchet said: “I don’t think we’re going to have true partners the whole year, so we might as well get used to playing with different guys. We’re built as a committee, and I like that”. . . Rookie Cole McWard continues to partner Hughes. . . Still practising in a non-contact jersey eight months after ACL knee surgery, Mikheyev was flying Monday and was one of the pace-setters in the conditioning skate that ended practice.

Iain MacIntyre

October 2, 2023, 9:10 PM

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/canucks-joshua-using-wake-up-call-from-tocchet-as-learning-experience/sn-amp/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah I am surprised that after doubling his career NHL total in his opportunity with Canucks last year, (than his 3 years with the Blues), that he would have trained hard , especially after what RT told each player in the exit meetings,

He has been a minor league player up in his late 20's, then decides, after last year that he made it, and does not prepare to be better  and thinks he can just flick that conditioning switch on after 4 months of not committing and now having to hear RT criticize to motivate him ?

I thought we were done pandering and were now emphasizing commitments to yourself, your teammates ,the club and the fans?

He is not a kid anymore and am unsure i like his commitment to be better

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Upvote 1

@RWJC

Ah crap. I'm just seeing this post now. 

I posted the article in the Canucks talk section like 20 minutes ago. Lol.

Is this where these things should go? Or...?

But I mean if you're on the IMac articles I'll leave you to it moving forward.  😉  I just thought no one else did.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

@RWJC

Ah crap. I'm just seeing this post now. 

I posted the article in the Canucks talk section like 20 minutes ago. Lol.

Is this where these things should go? Or...?

But I mean if you're on the IMac articles I'll leave you to it moving forward.  😉  I just thought no one else did.

No worries! I messed up and posted in wrong section. Was hoping admin will just move it when time permits. Or it just fades into background. All good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captkirk888 said:

11 goals and 23 points on the fourth line playing only 11 mins/game. Yup, bubble player for sure.

Was waiting for OP to respond to the obvious sarcasm there... and still waiting. Lol.

Joshua can be a beast when he's dialed -- we certainly saw that last year.

Sounds like Tocc lit a fire under his butt so hopefully we see that again this year.  They'll need it!

• Cheers 1

For a guy that was given a golden ticket with Vancouver it's crazy that he didn't go hard this summer to prove it wasn't a one off. Especially at this stage of his career. He's 27, it's one thing if a kid doesn't come into camp ready like he should be. But for a 27 year old that was looking like a career AHLer you'd think he'd pull a PDG and keep growing his game. This is why PDG is becoming a major fan favourite. Really hoping Joshua gets his game together. He brings something this team desperately is lacking. Toughness.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s a lurker, I presume. Jester13 should get a cut of whatever McIntyre made on that article. 

Or a guest TV appearance between periods with Sat Shah and that obscure hairy animal that has taken over Dan Murphy's scalp.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

For a guy that was given a golden ticket with Vancouver it's crazy that he didn't go hard this summer to prove it wasn't a one off. Especially at this stage of his career. He's 27, it's one thing if a kid doesn't come into camp ready like he should be. But for a 27 year old that was looking like a career AHLer you'd think he'd pull a PDG and keep growing his game. This is why PDG is becoming a major fan favourite. Really hoping Joshua gets his game together. He brings something this team desperately is lacking. Toughness.

It's possible he worked on strength and not conditioning.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s a lurker, I presume. Jester13 should get a cut of whatever McIntyre made on that article. 

Agreed. I have some beauty puns now amd then - I'm not asking for much, even just credit would do.

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

Or a guest TV appearance between periods with Sat Shah and that obscure hairy animal that has taken over Dan Murphy's scalp.

Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

• Vintage 1

So when every fluff article about a professional athlete comes out explaining how as a professional athlete they finally decided being in shape was a good idea I ask for this, sort of.

Where are the follow up questions?  Why did you not think you needed to be in prime condition as a professional athlete?

Disappointing that a borderline NHLer doesn’t embrace the chance he was given last year and really come in ready to go. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So when every fluff article about a professional athlete comes out explaining how as a professional athlete they finally decided being in shape was a good idea I ask for this, sort of.

Where are the follow up questions?  Why did you not think you needed to be in prime condition as a professional athlete?

Disappointing that a borderline NHLer doesn’t embrace the chance he was given last year and really come in ready to go. 

Even more surprising considering the fact that this is a contract year for Dak.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

It seems theres a lot of this type of thinking

but its hard to figure out how to have proper conditioning 

is he a sprinter or long distance runner

What if he was anticipating only playing 8-11 minutes with very short shifts on the fourth line so he put on strength to battle, but coach wants him to play 12-15 and potentially longer on the third with lots of PK time and he missed the mark.

there isnt just one formula for every player to follow

31 minutes ago, Johnny said:

What if he was anticipating only playing 8-11 minutes with very short shifts on the fourth line so he put on strength to battle, but coach wants him to play 12-15 and potentially longer on the third with lots of PK time and he missed the mark.

I don't really buy this....getting in shape is a pretty simple recipe for these guys. Or at least it should be - they have top trainers and facilities at their disposal.

If he'd followed up the Garland episode with some of that being directed to real opponents, I'd be in his corner. But showing your toughness in practice (only) doesn't sit well with me. We need more grit and he's a guy that should deliver some of that. When it counts, not just in practice.

I fear that some guys feel that they've "made it" once they're in the NHL but they have to constantly prove that. It's not just one and done. 

With that, I have hope for him and with the coach's monitoring, hopefully he'll get the message.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Johnny said:

“He wasn’t in horrible shape, but he wasn’t in the shape that I felt he should be after four months,” Tocchet explained.

This is why Joshua sought help from the Canucks training staff, who have set up a conditioning program for him.

He’s also taking the initiative to seek out our trainers, our strength coaches, to get to another level. I don’t know if it was criticism or whether he’s taken my advice (about) where he should have been

I am pretty sure they had this discussion on exit meetings and why RT wasn't happy where he thought he should be after 4 months and he Only Now seeks the trainer staff?

Expecting the results in 4 days that RT expected after 4 months?

We all want a big body mover, but one that is self motivated to be the best, and not just only pick on smurfs on his own team, is not a great recipe

I myself, like RT was disappointed to hear he didn't come ready to add another level to his game, and hopefully that he won't need constant reminding of trying to get better (rather than to just get by)

Edited by Ballisticsports

I think any guy who waits until he gets called out by his coach in training camp to put in the work is a guy who really doesn’t want to put in the work until it’s crunch time. He came in acting entitled and has really shown nothing in terms of the player they need him to be other than against his own teammates in practice

Joshua is probably only even still here because the roster is so weakly built in terms of not having even a few guys that have his skillset. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I don't really buy this....getting in shape is a pretty simple recipe for these guys. Or at least it should be - they have top trainers and facilities at their disposal.

If he'd followed up the Garland episode with some of that being directed to real opponents, I'd be in his corner. But showing your toughness in practice (only) doesn't sit well with me. We need more grit and he's a guy that should deliver some of that. When it counts, not just in practice.

I fear that some guys feel that they've "made it" once they're in the NHL but they have to constantly prove that. It's not just one and done. 

With that, I have hope for him and with the coach's monitoring, hopefully he'll get the message.

Oh the complacency is for sure real.

heres a not so distant example

Maxime Lappierre bulking up to 225 after the SCF loss

he worked out like a madman, put on a ton of strength but turns out it destroyed his stamina and quickness 

when Boeser bulked up after his back injury he was noticeably less quick

all im saying is dont judge the guy for not being in the right condition, its more complicated than just exercising

3 hours ago, Johnny said:

Yes and they meet with exercise physiologists and professional coaches. They are told what to work in exit interviews. 
These are also things they have had or known since they were 10.  
Most of these guys have had nutritionists and skills coaches from a very young age. 

They have had rookie camps and development camps and in the case of Dakota has been a pro for several years. 
I find these excuses thin. I was an amateur competitive cyclist for a long time and can go on and on about fueling and exercise physiology and my living didn’t depend on it. 
These are professional athletes and this is a very basic professional obligation. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Johnny said:

Oh the complacency is for sure real.

heres a not so distant example

Maxime Lappierre bulking up to 225 after the SCF loss

he worked out like a madman, put on a ton of strength but turns out it destroyed his stamina and quickness 

when Boeser bulked up after his back injury he was noticeably less quick

all im saying is dont judge the guy for not being in the right condition, its more complicated than just exercising

Pretty sure Tocchet would have been crystal clear in his expectations for Joshua at the year end meetings. It’s disengenuous to suggest he just didn’t know what they wanted him to do. 

• Cheers 1