[Report] Nickelback to perform during NHL's Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Stadium

Nickelback to perform during NHL's Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Stadium

Canadian rock band Nickelback will take the stage at Commonwealth Stadium when the Edmonton Oilers host the Calgary Flames in the NHL's Heritage Classic later this month.

Nickelback, recently honoured with an induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, will perform during the second intermission on Oct. 29, the Oilers announced Wednesday.

This year's Heritage Classic will mark the 20th anniversary of the NHL's first-ever regular-season outdoor game, which was also hosted at the home of the CFL's Edmonton Elks.

The 2003 event saw the Montreal Canadiens record a 4-3 victory over the Oilers before 57,167 fans in the Alberta capital.

The NHL has hosted a total of 37 regular-season outdoor games, attended by more than 1.85 million spectators.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 4, 2023.

The Canadian Press

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/nickelback-perform-during-nhls-heritage-145502741.html

Edited by RWJC

I don't listen to Nickelback but I do understand why they are popular for sporting events. Was at the 2011 Grey Cup and although they're not my favourite, they rocked the house and created a pretty good atmosphere.

Really though? What a beautiful love song...

I like your pants around your feet
And I like the dirt that's on your knees
And I like the way you still say please
While you're looking up at me
You're like my favourite damn disease

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

Nickleback isn't my cup of tea, but I certainly don't hate them. It seems to me people hate them just for being popular and successful. 

Canadian band active and successful for nearly 30 years, even if some of their new music isn't my thing I don't hate them at all. Also know a former member of the band who has nothing but nice things to say about the guys.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I don't listen to Nickelback but I do understand why they are popular for sporting events. Was at the 2011 Grey Cup and although they're not my favourite, they rocked the house and created a pretty good atmosphere.

Really though? What a beautiful love song...

I understand they’re not everyone’s favorite band but they’re like the top 105th band of all time in worldwide album sales, pretty good for a band from small town Alberta. 

And since I’ve been living in Hanna, their hometown, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting them more than once and they’re really down to earth and have never failed to support the community and help with local fundraisers when asked. Just all around good guys.

A Canadian success story we should be proud of no matter what you think about the music. 

1 hour ago, Flipper said:

I understand they’re not everyone’s favorite band but they’re like the top 105th band of all time in worldwide album sales, pretty good for a band from small town Alberta. 

And since I’ve been living in Hanna, their hometown, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting them more than once and they’re really down to earth and have never failed to support the community and help with local fundraisers when asked. Just all around good guys.

A Canadian success story we should be proud of no matter what you think about the music. 

True and good points, the sales numbers and accolades don’t lie.

But apparently, when referencing Nickelback it’s generally spelled Suckcess. 
I believe they trademarked that. 

Just my dumb opinion but Chad’s singing voice sounds like he’s horribly 

constipated and painfully sharing that with the listener.

image.gif.fb75cf256314a7f6cbafd1ea1eb46c0c.gif

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just my dumb opinion but Chad’s singing voice sounds like he’s horribly 

constipated and painfully sharing that with the listener.

Nailed it.  The rest of the music isn't that bad, just formulaic, but I'd rather listen to Hamarayan Singh than hear that singing.

• Haha 2