[Speculation/Opinion] A preseason trade between the Canucks and the Columbus Blue Jackets still makes plenty of sense

A preseason trade between the Canucks and the Columbus Blue Jackets still makes plenty of sense

The last time that Rick Dhaliwal reported there might be a trade impending, Tanner Pearson was swapped for Casey DeSmith within less than 24 hours.

So, this time around, when Dhaliwal says that the Canucks are “working the phones” trying to make a trade before the 2023/24 regular season begins, we have ample reason to believe that it’s true.

As Dhaliwal put it to on-air partner Don Taylor, “The Canucks haven’t claimed anybody on waivers as of yet, Don. I do believe they’re working the phones and I do believe they’re trying. They’ve got work to do with this roster and I think they know that, and I think they’re working the phones right now.”

Of course, working the phones trying to make a trade does not necessarily equate with a trade actually happening, especially at this time of the year. This is the point in the season in which teams are struggling to decide who to cut, not looking to add more to the mix. It’s tough to look around the league and find another roster that also isn’t quite yet settled, and that has the pieces in place to make a mutually-beneficial trade with the Canucks.

Until one takes a look at the Columbus Blue Jackets.

We’ve been saying it all summer, and we’re still saying it now: a trade between the Canucks and the Blue Jackets makes a lot of sense.

There’s a multitude of reasons, but it can be summed up as simply as supply and demand. The Blue Jackets have an abundance of the two things the Canucks need most, meaning RHD and cap space.

Meanwhile, the Jackets themselves are short on scoring, which is probably the only thing the Canucks possess in excess.

The Blue Jackets have already seen talented defenders squeezed off their roster this preseason, like Marcus Bjork, who just hit waivers and cleared.

But the tough decisions aren’t done quite yet. Columbus still has five RHD on its roster right now in Damon Severson, Andrew Peeke, Erik Gudbranson, Adam Boqvist, and Nick Blankenburg; all arguably deserving of an NHL role. That’s to say nothing of Jake Bean, an injured LHD who frequently plays on the right, and top prospect David Jiricek, who might not be ready now but will be very soon.

At a position where most teams are thinnest, Columbus is decidedly overstocked. The same could be said of their approximate $4.5 million in cap space heading into the season.

Up front, however, it’s a different story. The Jackets do not have a deep forward corps, and their right wing depth is particularly shoddy. Behind Patrik Laine, who is currently playing centre, they’ve got Kirill Marchenko and Emil Bemstrom in their top-six. Behind them they’ve got the likes of Jack Roslovic, Justin Danforth, and Mathieu Olivier, which is not exactly an inspiring group.

If the Blue Jackets want any hope of cracking the playoffs in the East this season, they’re probably going to want more veteran scoring help on the wings.

Which is where the Vancouver Canucks come in.

The basic shape of the deal we’re imagining is one in which the Canucks swap one of their wingers for one of Columbus’ right-handed defenders, ideally with more salary headed to Columbus than is coming back to Vancouver.

And within that basic shape, there’s really only a couple of deals that make sense, with a Conor Garland for Andrew Peeke swap being at the top of the list.

We’ve written extensively about Peeke over the past couple of years as a steady all-around talent on the right that can skate well and is defensively-dedicated. In other words, the exact sort of RHD the Canucks have been looking for since they drafted Quinn Hughes. There’s little doubt that Peeke belongs in the NHL, he’s just caught in a numbers game.

The same could be said of Garland. He’s one of about ten wingers vying for a spot in the Canucks’ top-nine right now, and although he’s had a great preseason, he’s going to still struggle to pull ice-time away from the likes of Andrei Kuzmenko, Brock Boeser, Ilya Mikheyev, and Anthony Beauvillier. Heck, at this point it’s looking like he might struggle to pull ice-time away from Phil di Giuseppe!

Removing a winger from the equation allows more room for someone like Nils Höglander to get a legitimate shot, and it leaves more room for Vasily Podkolzin to take another run at things whenever he is recalled. In other words, it’s a positive all around, and all it will cost the Canucks is some scoring potential that they’ve already got plenty of. And if getting rid of that extra winger can bring back a badly-needed RHD, that’s just perfect.

As it stands, there’s a $2.2 million difference in cap hit between Garland and Peeke, though Peeke is signed for an additional year. One might imagine that the Canucks would be asked to throw in at least a small sweetener to get this trade across the finish line, but that would probably be acceptable, so long as we’re not talking a second rounder or anything like that.

There are some other swaps that might make some sense, too. Maybe a Beauvillier-for-Boqvist arrangement. Maybe a budget-conscious Jack Studnicka-for-Blankenburg exchange.

But on the whole, it’s Peeke who makes the most sense for the Canucks, and veteran RW Garland who makes the most sense for the Blue Jackets.

Is that the conversation currently happening as the Canucks work the phones? We don’t know. But the pieces are definitely in place for a potential trade, and with the season coming in just a matter of days, we’ll all find out one way or another soon enough.

By Stephan Roget

16 hours ago

https://canucksarmy.com/news/lstatsies-big-stat-line-third-line-canucks-final-preseason-game

• Thanks 1

Andrew Peeke:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187555

Injury History:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/andrew-peeke-player-injuries

Adam Boqvist:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=210177

Injury History:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/adam-boqvist-player-injuries

pro/con:

Peeke has size but was a -41 last season (on a bad team overall)

Boqvist has demonstrated a solid all around ability to play the game and has potential for decent point totals but is marred by injury

• Thanks 1

Most pundits have us finishing low and out of the playoffs...so our 2024 1st is at its most valuable right now.

Garland + 2024 1st for Jiricek.

Anyone who knows me from the old message boards knows that I am a HUGE proponent for Jiricek...my gut tells me he will be one of the top 5 NHL defenceman once he hits his prime. Hughes and Jiricek would be Vancouver's version of Seabrook and Keith...and that combo seems to have been quite fruitful for the Hawks.

Right now Jiricek is progressing slightly faster than expected, so even a scoring winger and a potential lottery pick might not even be enough.

Alas, if we could just replay the 2022 draft...send JT to CBJ for that pick...then in 2023 focus on Benson.

[Benson & Jiricek > Lekkerimaki & Willander]

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Most pundits have us finishing low and out of the playoffs...so our 2024 1st is at its most valuable right now.

Anyone who knows me from the old message boards knows that I am a HUGE proponent for Jiricek...my gut tells me he will be one of the top 5 NHL defenceman once he hits his prime. Hughes and Jiricek would be Vancouver's version of Seabrook and Keith...and that combo seems to have been quite fruitful for the Hawks.

Right now Jiricek is progressing slightly faster than expected, so even a scoring winger and a potential lottery pick might not even be enough.

Alas, if we could just replay the 2022 draft...send JT to CBJ for that pick...then in 2023 focus on Benson.

Or just blow up the team in January last year. Pile up a bunch of 1st round draft picks. And maybe had Bedard, and Willander as the centre pieces of our core moving forward.

No to trading 1st round picks. Let's get our team organized and start building up depth instead of trading it away.

2 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Columbus laughs and hangs up imo, Jiricek is an A-grade RD prospect

If anything they'd dump someone else, Jiricek is someone they probably have pegged as being a big part of their future 

Not only that, but they're unlikely to get a better D prospect than Jiricek with our 1st and they just grabbed a stud forward prospect in Fantilli

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, but if I'm Columbus he is not a piece I'm moving, especially not for a forward in Garland that GM'S know we'd like to move and what could be a middling 1st

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Garland for Boqvist! Doesn’t Peeke have a projected war of like 12%. Guy is overrated on these boards because he’s got size and is right handed. With Boqvist there’s still tons of potential in becoming a good top 4 offensive dman

We don't need offensive dmen we need Stay at home d men

• Upvote 1

Adam Boqvist - $2.6 million till 2024-2025 then RFA 

Age 23  - 6'0  183 lbs  (To small IMO and we have enough of those on the back end) 

averages 43.5 games over last 4 seasons (injury prone) 

Plus/ Minus  -12 in 46 games (bad team) 

Andrew Peeke - $2.75 million till 2025-2026 then UFA

Age 25 - 6'3  210 lbs (good size) 

Averages  81 games over last 2 seasons 

Plus/ Minus   -41 in 82 games (bad Team)

Brett Pesce - $4.025 million till 2023-2024 then UFA

Age 28 (29 in Nov) - 6'3  206 lbs (good size)

Averages  70 gomes over last 8 seasons 

Plus/ Minus  +11 (great team) 

Honestly they all have there warts, ranking them I'd say Peeke is the first target, then Pesce and HELL NO to Boqvist. 

This is assuming we could package Garland or Beauvillier going the other way. 

Not sure about any of their skating abilities, first pass or hockey IQ though. Don't watch enough of them. 

I would assume the teams they play for and their depolyment (good or bad) has skewed some of their stats 

We could just wait and try and sign Ethan Bear to a reasonable show me contract - a known commodity here.

Just my 2 cents    

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Adam Boqvist - $2.6 million till 2024-2025 then RFA 

Age 23  - 6'0  183 lbs  (To small IMO and we have enough of those on the back end) 

averages 43.5 games over last 4 seasons (injury prone) 

Plus/ Minus  -12 in 46 games (bad team) 

Andrew Peeke - $2.75 million till 2025-2026 then UFA

Age 25 - 6'3  210 lbs (good size) 

Averages  81 games over last 2 seasons 

Plus/ Minus   -41 in 82 games (bad Team)

Brett Pesce - $4.025 million till 2023-2024 then UFA

Age 28 (29 in Nov) - 6'3  206 lbs (good size)

Averages  70 gomes over last 8 seasons 

Plus/ Minus  +11 (great team) 

Honestly they all have there warts, ranking them I'd say Peeke is the first target, then Pesce and HELL NO to Boqvist. 

This is assuming we could package Garland or Beauvillier going the other way. 

Not sure about any of their skating abilities, first pass or hockey IQ though. Don't watch enough of them. 

I would assume the teams they play for and their depolyment (good or bad) has skewed some of their stats 

We could just wait and try and sign Ethan Bear to a reasonable show me contract - a known commodity here.

Just my 2 cents    

Boqvist has been pretty unfortunate with injuries and he may be injury prone but some of those were just very unfortunate. I guess that could be a case for any injury prone guy. I just feel like because of it all he’s never really got going so his value is so low. You’d be buying low on a guy who still has good potential where the other guys you’ve mentioned you’d be buying high.

• Cheers 1

Irwin clearly didn't pan out, must have been something they saw in training, and Hirose and Rathbone didn't either. Now Soucy might be injured, it'd be nice to get an NHL calibre defenceman. I'd love a true top 4 guy like Pesce or Hanifin but that just isn't happening. Peeke makes so much sense to both teams.

I've been watching CBJ closely, can't see any reports of him injured and he's barely played in preseason. Their big boys are logging 25ish minutes a game, their second tier guys are playing 20 and then their AHLers are playing 15-18. Peeke was in the 18-20ish range. He's been pushed down even below Blakenberg and Boqvist. I don't see him even cracking their top 6 at this rate. 

If they think so lowly of him (unless they're thinking project) then why not trade him for a forward? Beauvillier or Garland makes a lot of sense cap, value and needs-wise for both teams.

Peeke is no amazing defenceman, he might be quite a bad one based on last year and why CBJ is pushing him down their depth chart, but he's got all the tools, is a bit of a project and if we risk it and play him with Hughes it could easily go south in which case we bench/waive him, or he could be the perfect top pairing physical shutdown young partner for thenl next 5+ years. Either way, worth the gamble, especially if it means we shed a winger.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Boqvist has been pretty unfortunate with injuries and he may be injury prone but some of those were just very unfortunate. I guess that could be a case for any injury prone guy. I just feel like because of it all he’s never really got going so his value is so low. You’d be buying low on a guy who still has good potential where the other guys you’ve mentioned you’d be buying high.

But you’re buying uncertainty with Boqvist and you can’t build a consistent sustainable D corps around guys whom you expect/factor in to be out for 30-40% of the season. You’d be buying out of wishful thinking, depending on price 

42 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think he's the best overall player (skilled) of the bunch which is why he was drafted so high.

I get that you'd be buying low but if he's injured for (roughly) half the season it's not really helping us out  Defenceman in Vancouver have a hard time staying healthy as it is (IMO). I think we have a smallish D core as it is, especially if and when Myers goes. We have small, skilled, puck moving Dmen in Hughes, Hronek, McWard, Hirose and Rathbone I guess. We need more players like Cole to play a stay at home defensive game, Block shots, clear the net and do yomens work on the PK IMO. 

I think the infatuation with size is because we don't really have any on the back end... I loved when Schenn was back there looking after his goalie, D partner and keeping other teams honest. I'm really happy with the high IQ, skill guys we have but I'd like to see more balance on the back end is all...especially come playoff time (someday)  

Edited by Blitz-Pix

Boqvist could have made sense if we didn't already trade for Hronek. Who is just better all around than him. We need a Pesce/Tanev type. Stay at home with solid enough size. Not another 5'10-6'0 OFD. We have Hronek and Hughes to provide puck moving. Peeke is intriguing though. Size, defensively sound. Not sure how good a skater he is though, but Hughes made it work with Schenner, I doubt Peeke is slower than that guy.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Columbus laughs and hangs up imo, Jiricek is an A-grade RD prospect

If anything they'd dump someone else, Jiricek is someone they probably have pegged as being a big part of their future 

Not only that, but they're unlikely to get a better D prospect than Jiricek with our 1st and they just grabbed a stud forward prospect in Fantilli

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, but if I'm Columbus he is not a piece I'm moving, especially not for a forward in Garland that GM'S know we'd like to move and what could be a middling 1st

Yup...agree...but frack, would've been nice.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Boqvist could have made sense if we didn't already trade for Hronek. Who is just better all around than him. We need a Pesce/Tanev type. Stay at home with solid enough size. Not another 5'10-6'0 OFD. We have Hronek and Hughes to provide puck moving. Peeke is intriguing though. Size, defensively sound. Not sure how good a skater he is though, but Hughes made it work with Schenner, I doubt Peeke is slower than that guy.

Imho, all Hughes needs is someone who can simply play a reliable 2 way game that doesn’t require more maturing at the NHL level. He is an elite Dman who will basically commandeer the play regardless, and if his linemate has decent enough wheels and even just slightly above average hockey IQ, QH will make him look that much better and use him effectively. It would be great to find someone who pairs with him and only improves his performance, but realistically QH can do that independently and basically can quarterback an entire 5 Man unit on the ice, whether it be at even strength or PP. He’s that F’n good. 

We basically need to acquire someone to shadow QH and is a consistently solid two way presence with a simple game and without any pretence that they are obligated to develop anything other than an instinct as to how he operates.

That doesn’t require trading major assets, nor does it necessitate signing what might be a future UFA 7mill+ Dman. It simply is finding the right piece…much like how Tanev understood how his natural role and style could complement QH and tailored himself to it. I would even hazard a guess that a defensively sound vet in their mid to late 20s might be the best age demo.

Hronek is an example of a guy who would appear to be a nice fit, but realistically also has offense tendencies that he leans towards. 
That can be difficult to juggle if the instincts don’t pair. Like OEL Myers at times. 
Hronek can anchor his own pairing. 
That gives us high quality depth in our D top 4. 

for QH we don’t need a large stay at home D, we need a dependable intelligent player who can keep up and can learn to operate in anticipation of his linemate. I don’t mind us cycling through Dmen until we find that. Not convinced at all Juulsen has the foot speed or IQ to match. It’s a poor fit, even if out of necessity. 

Would love to establish a CAR level D corps but that can realized through chemistry and without necessarily having to break the bank on recognized names. It’s not as sexy, but it could be achieved. 

Would be so interesting to be a fly on the wall in mgmt’s war room to see whom they identify as potential targets leaguewide. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Irwin clearly didn't pan out, must have been something they saw in training, and Hirose and Rathbone didn't either. Now Soucy might be injured, it'd be nice to get an NHL calibre defenceman. I'd love a true top 4 guy like Pesce or Hanifin but that just isn't happening. Peeke makes so much sense to both teams.

I've been watching CBJ closely, can't see any reports of him injured and he's barely played in preseason. Their big boys are logging 25ish minutes a game, their second tier guys are playing 20 and then their AHLers are playing 15-18. Peeke was in the 18-20ish range. He's been pushed down even below Blakenberg and Boqvist. I don't see him even cracking their top 6 at this rate. 

If they think so lowly of him (unless they're thinking project) then why not trade him for a forward? Beauvillier or Garland makes a lot of sense cap, value and needs-wise for both teams.

Peeke is no amazing defenceman, he might be quite a bad one based on last year and why CBJ is pushing him down their depth chart, but he's got all the tools, is a bit of a project and if we risk it and play him with Hughes it could easily go south in which case we bench/waive him, or he could be the perfect top pairing physical shutdown young partner for thenl next 5+ years. Either way, worth the gamble, especially if it means we shed a winger.

I would be surprised if we don’t see Irwin come up and play meaningful minutes for the team.  

I think they were just young guys who needed waivers and they didn’t want to risk losing.

If Peeke costs us a package like Garland and Rathbone… that inks totally worth it for the risk/reward of whether he will

turn out.

• Cheers 2