[Proposal] Gudbranson round 2

Word has it Columbus is trying to move a D, folks have mentioned Peeke but he may not be the guy Columbus is trying to move. Now, this proposal is mostly for shit's and giggles but here we go.

To Vancouver

Guddy boi

To Columbus

Garland

Both players have three years remaining on their deals, Garland makes almost 1M more than Guddy though. Columbus looks to have the cap space to eat the difference if I'm not mistaken. 

Guddy is a meat and potatoes RD who is probably overpaid for what he brings, but he's an RD and the Canucks are almost certainly going to have to eat cap coming back in any trade involving Garland anyway. Stop dreaming of clearing Garlands entire cap hit, if it was going to happen it would have by now. 

No, it's not ideal, but it does bring us an RD who'd add some grit and size. 

The only potential hiccup is Guddy's 10-team NTC, but given where Columbus has been I don't see why he wouldn't be open to playing for a team that is probably more competitive than his current team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd probably do this deal.  It's not ideal, but we are dreaming if we think we can trade Garland for a pick or prospect and not have to take cap back.  A team like Chicago would probably want a sweetener attached.

Gudbranson plays in a position of need, so at least we fill a hole.  We also save $950,000 in cap space if Columbus doesn't retain.  Soucy and Gudbranson on the 3rd pairing destroying the other teams 3rd and 4th liners would be quite entertaining.  As long as Guddy is in a 3rd pairing role I think he would be fine.  He was actually playing pretty well in Calgary on the 3rd pairing.

Also, we get someone who is an actual legit heavyweight.  Guddy may not fight much anymore, but he is a deterrent and will take on Ryan Reaves and all of the other goons if he has to.  He would also be valuable for all of the Oilers games and could pound Nurse and Kane into oblivion...

• Cheers 1

Oh the wails of despair that will resound through the city if this happens...

I can't say Gudbranson was good during his time with the Canucks, but I do think he wasn't quite as bad as he might have seemed during his time here. Notwithstanding the terrible +/- stat in his final season.

I'm still puzzled at how CBJ was convinced enough to sign him to his current contract though, and I would very much not want to see that contract go on the books for the Canucks.

• ThereItIs 1

Hmm...would be a pretty serious downgrade in overal player ability and I'd argue, player value per dollar too. Only catch is we need defensemen more than forwards, which might make it more reasonable. I think I'd be okay if the Blue Jackets tossed in a late round pick or retained a little bit on Guddy.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd probably do this deal.  It's not ideal, but we are dreaming if we think we can trade Garland for a pick or prospect and not have to take cap back.  A team like Chicago would probably want a sweetener attached.

Gudbranson plays in a position of need, so at least we fill a hole.  We also save $950,000 in cap space if Columbus doesn't retain.  Soucy and Gudbranson on the 3rd pairing destroying the other teams 3rd and 4th liners would be quite entertaining.  As long as Guddy is in a 3rd pairing role I think he would be fine.  He was actually playing pretty well in Calgary on the 3rd pairing.

Also, we get someone who is an actual legit heavyweight.  Guddy may not fight much anymore, but he is a deterrent and will take on Ryan Reaves and all of the other goons if he has to.  He would also be valuable for all of the Oilers games and could pound Nurse and Kane into oblivion...

A $7.25M 3rd pairing would be horrendous, IMHO. It might only be justifiable if both Guddy and Soucy are primary PKers, but that's still a huge price tag and that pairing would have a lot of trouble clearing the zone even if they might be physically intimidating.

If Guddy's AAV came in at $2M or less then I might consider it, but $4M AAV is way too much.

Just now, Bob Long said:

I'm all for a safe working environment. TBH a Cole-Guddy 3rd pair could work. 

If Cole's on the 3rd pairing, who's our top 4? Not sure if I like both Soucy and Myers both playing top 4 minutes.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hmm...would be a pretty serious downgrade in overal player ability and I'd argue, player value too. Only catch is we need defensemen more than forwards, which might make it more reasonable. I think I'd be okay if the Blue Jackets tossed in a late round pick or retained a little bit on Guddy.

Roslovic+Guddy for Myers+Garly+"what do we need to add?"

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, Garland has neutral value at best imo, which is why we'll likely have to swap him for a cap hit of roughly equal size to move him.

Guddy does fill a position of need, even if it's on the third pairing. But hey, he played okay in Calgary within a defensive structure, who's to say he couldn't do it here.

And yeah, he brings elements our D lacks. 

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Oh the wails of despair that will resound through the city if this happens...

I can't say Gudbranson was good during his time with the Canucks, but I do think he wasn't quite as bad as he might have seemed during his time here. Notwithstanding the terrible +/- stat in his final season.

I'm still puzzled at how CBJ was convinced enough to sign him to his current contract though, and I would very much not want to see that contract go on the books for the Canucks.

He just needs to not hurt us while providing size, grit, and pushback. Maybe he can do that.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm all for a safe working environment. TBH a Cole-Guddy 3rd pair could work. 

I think they want Cole in the top 4, but who knows.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hmm...would be a pretty serious downgrade in overal player ability and I'd argue, player value per dollar too. Only catch is we need defensemen more than forwards, which might make it more reasonable. I think I'd be okay if the Blue Jackets tossed in a late round pick or retained a little bit on Guddy.

We def need D and we're not in a position to be picky, and that means picky with trade particulars regarding Garland and what we're able to acquire in the way of a D. 

It's not ideal, but a Garland is likely to be less than ideal if it happens anyway. 

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

A $7.25M 3rd pairing would be horrendous, IMHO. It might only be justifiable if both Guddy and Soucy are primary PKers, but that's still a huge price tag and that pairing would have a lot of trouble clearing the zone even if they might be physically intimidating.

If Guddy's AAV came in at $2M or less then I might consider it, but $4M AAV is way too much.

Eh, the way I look at it is Guddy would also replace some of the size we'll likely let walk in Myers. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think the idiots coaching the team, especially Baumgartner, made him look way worse than he actually is during his time here.  People really underestimate just how much damage Green and WD did to the roster with their inability to implement an effective system.

He had a good season in Calgary, if the Canucks are collectively better defensively Guddy likely would be as well imo. 

9 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The cap hit of Guddy's potential D partner has no bearing on the feasibility the deal. Whatever we paid for his partner is a decision already made in the past and can't be changed.

36 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Well some people wanted to keep OEL for 4 more years at the same cap hit.  At least for $7.35 million that covers BOTH Dmen on the 3rd pairing plus on top of that we get rid of Garland's contract which frees up a roster spot on the forward group...

Main reason I'd be against this, is that it would all but guarantee a Hughes-Hronek pair, which IMO is not ideal. We're a FAR better team if each of those guys can anchor a 1st and 2nd pair.

I'd rather we find a stop gap to play with Hughes personally (and that ain't Guddy).

• ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Main reason I'd be against this, is that it would all but guarantee a Hughes-Hronek pair, which IMO is not ideal. We're a FAR better team if each of those guys can anchor a 1st and 2nd pair.

I'd rather we find a stop gap to play with Hughes personally (and that ain't Guddy).

If possible, sure. But if the idea is for the Canucks to trade Garland I believe their trade options will be more limited. Like I said, trading for Guddy wouldn't be ideal but it could still tick some boxes. It also frees up a forward slot. 

Cole and Myers are both up at the end of the year, Guddy's salary would roughly be a wash because it'd be swapped for Garland's. If the Canucks want to tinker further with their defense going forward they should have the flex to do so. Having Hughes and Hronek could absolutely be a reality going forward even if we did acquire Guddy.

20 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hell yes.

Guddy's grit per 60 is insane despite how atrocious he is defensively. 

If this meant getting rid of Myers too, I'd be very supportive of this. 

I think we walk away from Myers, Guddy would replace some of his size.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1