[Rumour] Kevin Labanc (SJS) potentially on waivers? - Seravalli

Sharks Expected To Waive Kevin Labanc

October 19th, 2023 at 11:33am CST • By Josh Erickson

Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli reports the Sharks will place winger Kevin Labanc on waivers today at 1 p.m. CT for the purposes of assignment to the AHL’s San Jose Barracuda.

Labanc, a sixth-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, quickly looked like a steal after exploding for back-to-back 100-plus point seasons in the OHL after his draft year. The transition to pro hockey was rather smooth, posting a point per game with the Barracuda in 2016-17 and potting 20 points in 55 games with the Sharks during his rookie season. His scoring would increase year-by-year until his peak in the 2018-19 campaign when he notched a career-high 17 goals and 56 points in 82 contests and played a key secondary scoring role in guiding the Sharks to the Western Conference Final, where they would fall to the eventual champion St. Louis Blues.

He was an RFA at the end of that season, but cap constraints forced him into taking just a one-year, $1MM contract to remain in San Jose. His value would, unfortunately, fall off a cliff in 2019-20, when he dropped to 33 points in 70 contests and posted an eye-opening -33 rating, but that didn’t stop then-Sharks GM Doug Wilson from signing him to a four-year, $4.725MM cap hit deal to remain in San Jose.

link to rest of article:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/sharks-expected-to-waive-kevin-labanc.html#ref=home

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Is there any team with cap space desperate enough to try and claim him?  Lot of money for a healthy scratch...

So, here's a worst case solution to our cap issue.

Trade this guy for Garland, straight up, one for one.

Send him to Abbotsford which should collectively free up about 1.5 million ish in cap space and then sign Bear when he's healthy.

This guy might be worth a late round pick for depth at the deadline with retained salary. 

This would clear Garlands cap hit completely off the board past this season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, here's a worst case solution to our cap issue.

Trade this guy for Garland, straight up, one for one.

Send him to Abbotsford which should collectively free up about 1.5 million ish in cap space and then sign Bear when he's healthy.

This guy might be worth a late round pick for depth at the deadline with retained salary. 

This would clear Garlands cap hit completely off the board past this season.

That would make sense, but SJS probably values the long term cap space as much we do so they can weaponize it by taking on bad contracts and add picks. 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That would make sense, but SJS probably values the long term cap space as much we do so they can weaponize it by taking on bad contracts and add picks. 

Probably....but if it could work, it accomplishes what we have been trying to do, flip Garland for about 1 - 2 million in cap space and another RD

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If Labanc clears waivers - which apparently is expected - on an expiring deal it’s a fair warning as to how difficult the Garland situation is. 

That trade and subsequent Garland signing, holy crap. Just sets this franchise back so bad. Really, so bad the franchise is on the edge of a cliff, even with the stars we have. If the Canucks can't draft well moving forward to fill in the gaps with cheap contracts, this is all for not. Big if. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rekker said:

That trade and subsequent Garland signing, holy crap. Just sets this franchise back so bad. Really, so bad the franchise is on the edge of a cliff, even with the stars we have. If the Canucks can't draft well moving forward to fill in the gaps with cheap contracts, this is all for not. Big if. 

I’m generally very positive about this club, but I agree with you. All the changes in the past few years between mgmt, coaching and roster has kind of left us on the precipice right now. There is a lot of pressure built up over the last decade and so much invested into where we are right now.

Man I sure hope we take a major step up this year. Hate to say it, but if we can’t, I’m ready for any renovation that will be required. Again, if that occurs, just hopeful we have the right people in place with a tangible vision and they are given enough time to bring it to all to fruition.

• Cheers 1

• Miss Korea changed the title to [Rumour] Kevin Labanc (SJS) potentially on waivers? - Seravalli
5 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Perhaps they're hoping he goes out there and tweeks a knee and can put him on LTIR for the remainder of the year. LOL

I mean, as a bottom feeder it doesn't really make sense to waive him unless they reaaaaally want someone else in his spot. He's got a year left on his deal, they're going to be in the mix for a lottery position, it doesn't really hurt them to ride it out even if he's not bringing positive value. 

If you're in the Sharks position and you're paying a guy NHL money you may as well just slap him on the ice. 

Best case scenario they're able to rehabilitate his value a bit and flip him at the deadline. Worst case, his deal expires at the end of the season.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, as a bottom feeder it doesn't really make sense to waive him unless they reaaaaally want someone else in his spot. He's got a year left on his deal, they're going to be in the mix for a lottery position, it doesn't really hurt them to ride it out even if he's not bringing positive value. 

If you're in the Sharks position and you're paying a guy NHL money you may as well just slap him on the ice. 

The only other reason would be if he'd asked for a trade and it was causing an issue in the room.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The only other reason would be if he'd asked for a trade and it was causing an issue in the room.

Maybe, but if he's asking for a trade at this point it's probably because he's not being played. Putting him in the lineup likely takes care of that grievance. 

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Man I sure hope we take a major step up this year. Hate to say it, but if we can’t, I’m ready for any renovation that will be required.

You bet. Writing is on the wall for EP if he doesn't see a vast improvement. He's no dummy. If Garland is added to the dead cap, and it's is combined with crap drafting and no quality youngsters here on the cheap. He's gone imho. Demko and Hughes soon to follow. 

Edited by Rekker

Prolific????  That's the word that comes to mind?

You'd think a prolific one-time shooter might get north of 20 goals once in a while.  I don't follow the league as a whole much anymore, but just top of my head and in no particular order: Ovi, Petey, Laine, Drai, Stamkos.  I'm sure there are others similarly far more capable at the one-timer that can be added to the list.

Is JFresh dating his sister or is he just one of the four Sharks fanboys left in the world.