[ARTICLE] Have the Vancouver Canucks finally found their long-term partner for Quinn Hughes?

The Hughes/Hronek pairing is already one of the NHL’s best, but is it a long-term solution for the Canucks? (msn.com)

The Hughes/Hronek pairing is already one of the NHL’s best, but is it a long-term solution for the Canucks?

Through five games on the nascent 2023/24 season, two things — and two things only — have been made clear about the Vancouver Canucks’ blueline: Quinn Hughes and Filip Hronek are the team’s most consistent pairing, and that pairing is playing exceptionally well together.

How well, exactly?

Well enough to have a genuine claim at being the best-performing D duo thus far in the regular season.

As of this writing, Hughes and Hronek have played 77:52 of even-strength ice together, approximately 80% of each of their totals. During that time, Hughes and Hronek have allowed exactly zero goals against.

There are 33 other D pairings in the NHL that have played at least 60 minutes together thus far. All of them have been scored on…except Hughes and Hronek.

And that’s against some of the toughest competition in the entire league, with the bulk of the pairing’s minutes coming against first and second line opponents, with minimal time against bottom-sixers.

From HockeyViz.com

Tack on Hughes’ five points in five games and Hronek’s own three points and the early returns are both strong and obvious. The Canucks’ own version of a super-pairing is working, it’s working well, and all indications are that it will keep working. Hughes and Hronek’s games seem to complement each other’s, and each player’s history suggests they’ll be able to maintain their current clip of about 25 minutes of ice-time per game.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

IMO, yes they have.  Keep them together.  Tom Willander will anchor the second pairing when he arrives.  We also have D-Petey who could be Willander's long term partner.

Hunter Brzustewicz will anchor the 3rd pairing.  He may even be too good for the 3rd pairing and we can use him as trade bait for a power forward.  

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

No, we still need a #2A/#3 calibre d-man that is a better stylistic fit for Hughes than Hronek (i.e. someone bigger and with a stronger defensive game).  Hronek can then anchor the 2nd pairing.

Here is the correct answer to this thread:  image.thumb.png.d128869ece587dc37230623b103a09d8.png

Tom Willander will anchor our second pairing.  But maybe he's a better stylistic fit with Hughes.  Who knows.  At least we have options.

In terms of high danger chances, sure, but you have to remember that Hughes/Hronek are matching up against the other team's top 2 lines all game long.  That means they see McDavid and Draisaitl the whole game, Barkov and Tkachuk, Stamkos and Kucherov.  So basically, they have already played against 3 of the top 5/6 tandems in the entire NHL in their first 6 games.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Have to admit I had my doubts this would be worth it.   But our winning percentage against contenders is .750.   Of course that will even out over a larger sample size, early returns are fantastic though.    Hronek out last season was a bit of a boon too, otherwise we probably would have won a few more games and wouldn't have Willander.    Doubts are should they be on separate lines instead. 

Nice to have options in the future.  Locking down Hronek seems like a must though.   I've seen some pretty awesome pairings, Al Mac and Pronger, later Neidermayer and Pronger ... Suter and Weber.    Keith and Seabrook.   This one has the look of that albiet a tiny sample size.   IF what we see is what you get, absolutely they need to stick together.   Last really good top pairing we've had was Hamhuis Bieksa (apologies Edler Tanev), and this one is better.  

QHs probably can make a solid 6th look like a solid top four.    He's that good.   Hronek is a top pairing D in his own right too though.   At least was playing those minutes in Detroit.    Leading the team right now...our best hope could be if both these guys are capable of playing close to 30 minutes night in, night out.    Like Al Mac and Pronger,  Keith,  Weber and Suter etc.   EK during his OTT days before Cookes accidentally on purpose ankle severing foot stomp.   If that's the case we will be very tough to beat.    And both guys will get Norris votes. 

For now think Tochett is doing the right thing.    25 minutes a game is where they should be at.   Haven't seen or found out yet, what these guys can do in the post season.   And wouldn't want to push them this early...but do think it's quite possibly coming, especially down the stretch IF we are attempting to pass a team or keep our spot. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

No, we still need a #2A/#3 calibre d-man that is a better stylistic fit for Hughes than Hronek (i.e. someone bigger and with a stronger defensive game).  Hronek can then anchor the 2nd pairing.

Here is the correct answer to this thread:  image.thumb.png.d128869ece587dc37230623b103a09d8.png

Was of the same mind.   Thing is it's working, and it's pretty nice to see.   Again small sample size.    Sure would be great if we had a league wide top pairing for half a decade or so though ... 

• Cheers 2

Too early to say, it's been a small stretch. Just because they've been lights out doesn't mean that's suddenly a new standard, we'll see how things ebb and flow. 

But no, I'm inclined to say we haven't, D would be better balanced if Hronek were on another pairing. I'm not so sure the team is better off having it's two best puck movers on one pairing. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Have to admit I had my doubts this would be worth it.   But our winning percentage against contenders is .750.   Of course that will even out over a larger sample size, early returns are fantastic though.    Hronek out last season was a bit of a boon too, otherwise we probably would have won a few more games and wouldn't have Willander.    Doubts are should they be on separate lines instead. 

Nice to have options in the future.  Locking down Hronek seems like a must though.   I've seen some pretty awesome pairings, Al Mac and Pronger, later Neidermayer and Pronger ... Suter and Weber.    Keith and Seabrook.   This one has the look of that albiet a tiny sample size.   IF what we see is what you get, absolutely they need to stick together.   Last really good top pairing we've had was Hamhuis Bieksa (apologies Edler Tanev), and this one is better.  

QHs probably can make a solid 6th look like a solid top four.    He's that good.   Hronek is a top pairing D in his own right too though.   At least was playing those minutes in Detroit.    Leading the team right now...our best hope could be if both these guys are capable of playing close to 30 minutes night in, night out.    Like Al Mac and Pronger,  Keith,  Weber and Suter etc.   EK during his OTT days before Cookes accidentally on purpose ankle severing foot stomp.   If that's the case we will be very tough to beat.    And both guys will get Norris votes. 

For now think Tochett is doing the right thing.    25 minutes a game is where they should be at.   Haven't seen or found out yet, what these guys can do in the post season.   And wouldn't want to push them this early...but do think it's quite possibly coming, especially down the stretch IF we are attempting to pass a team or keep our spot. 

Funny, I was thinking of those same defensive comparisons you made  of Hughes and Hronek myself

Hopefully we can get another quality D  from moving a forward and keep them together

I believe Foote is looking after the d alignment and distribution instead of RT though in games

I think

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Going to be interesting to see how Canucks management plan out the D-core if the Hughes-Hronek tandem actually becomes a thing.

Trade for two, top-4 D this season? Or wait to see what the prospects can do? 

For those interested, Hughes literally says he's the best D-partner he's played with (starts at 3:20):

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Going to be interesting to see how Canucks management plan out the D-core if the Hughes-Hronek tandem actually becomes a thing.

Trade for two, top-4 D this season? Or wait to see what the prospects can do? 

Cole could slide back to no. 4 minutes at like 18/game if we get a legit no.3

Hirose and mcward may take a step to be a no. 6

Zadorov is a UFA obvi, he is more of a no.4 but a zadorov-cole pair would be an upgrade on what we have now.

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

Zadorov is a UFA obvi, he is more of a no.4 but a zadorov-cole pair would be an upgrade on what we have now.

I think Willander becomes that legit no. 3. Pair him with a top-4 LD, and voila, two top-pairings which can then take some of the pressure off Hughes. 

• ThereItIs 1

Nope, neither player needs the other.  Each are good enough to play in a top 4 role without the other.  Key is getting another top 4 D for Hronek.  Won't be easy or cheap.  Hughes is more than capable of carrying a pairing now.  Sure not ideal but you have to work with the garbage Benning left behind on the farm.

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Nikita Zadorov would like Manna from Heaven.  He is exactly what we are missing.  Allvin needs to go all in and sign the big Russian next summer...

#WeAreGoldStar

11 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I think Willander becomes that legit no. 3. Pair him with a top-4 LD, and voila, two top-pairings which can then take some of the pressure off Hughes. 

Hughes      Hronek

Zadorov     Willander

Soucy        Peeke

Trade for Peeke, sign Zadorov next summer and then bring in Willander.  Viola, we are done.

If Willander isn't ready next year, I would propose bringing in local boy Justin Shultz for a year or two.  I think he played with Soucy in Seattle and he's a UFA in the summer.  He could add some more offence to the 2nd or 3rd pairing while Willander is still developing.

Fun fact, Rutherford traded for Shultz in 2016 and he won 2 cups with Pittsburgh.  So, this is an easy connection to make...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

I'd rather let Willander stew. If he's ready that's one thing, but he was an 11OA and is a D, who often need to stew longer than forwards. I'd expect him to probably need to stew. 

I reckon he'll be a good player for us down the road, but I'd rather management's wish to compete/contend now not result in them rushing him. 

• Cheers 3

Well yes and no

Of course if you stack one line with your two best D, each on their natural side, that should be dynamite. Goes for any team.

But we need a good second pair as well. We need another Hughes and Hronek.  But we don't have that, so its patch together what we can. The article suggests giving Cole and Sousy time together. Sure, try it, but I have my doubts. We really need Hughes and Hronek on different pairings for the long term solution. Barring some blockbuster trade for another elite D. We need Hronek to make some other partner look good. like Hughes is making Hronek look good. We just don't know how well Hronek can be the lead horse on his own pairing.  Doesn't Tocchet need to see this too?

Another tangent to think about is how  many more points Hronek will stack up playing with Hughes, ie...how many more $ he'll demand, and get....somewhere.  Countless cases of partners of elite talent cashing in on an inflated numbers.  We know he's good, and worth keeping , but before we re-sign him to his retirement contract, he better be tested with a different, more stay at home, defensive partner for a good stretch of time.  I can see the temptation for Tocc at keeping this going.  Heck, he'd love to play H&H 30 min, and use the other pairs to just hold the forte till they get back on the ice. Tempting but not sustainable. The only way we go far in the playoffs is two solid pairs at least.

Cole + Hughes

Soucy + Hronek

I know Rick probably doesn't want to try experimenting more just now when we are on a roll, but surely it has to happen. And if he does, they need time to adjust to each other.  Sooner rather than later.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tom Willander will anchor our second pairing.  But maybe he's a better stylistic fit with Hughes.  Who knows.  At least we have options.

In terms of high danger chances, sure, but you have to remember that Hughes/Hronek are matching up against the other team's top 2 lines all game long.  That means they see McDavid and Draisaitl the whole game, Barkov and Tkachuk, Stamkos and Kucherov.  So basically, they have already played against 3 of the top 5/6 tandems in the entire NHL in their first 6 games.  

But so are Theodore and mcnabb right now. They triple the amount of defensive zone start but only have 1 more high danger chance against. Pietreangelo have been injured this season. It’s like 16 vs 46 defensive zone start. So they average more than 1 per faceoff vs others less then .5.. part of this is also the line they are playing with I guess. Hughes hronek plays 75% of their time 5v5 with the miller line and that line is still prone to do stupid things like pass the puck into the middle when pinned along the board and blind drop passes in their own zone so that contributes to it. Still this pairing is well above other top pairs in terms of high danger chances given up.. and we are like dead last or 2nd last in terms of high danger chances.. and relying on the goalie too much. 

44 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

But so are Theodore and mcnabb right now. They triple the amount of defensive zone start but only have 1 more high danger chance against. Pietreangelo have been injured this season. It’s like 16 vs 46 defensive zone start. So they average more than 1 per faceoff vs others less then .5.. part of this is also the line they are playing with I guess. Hughes hronek plays 75% of their time 5v5 with the miller line and that line is still prone to do stupid things like pass the puck into the middle when pinned along the board and blind drop passes in their own zone so that contributes to it. Still this pairing is well above other top pairs in terms of high danger chances given up.. and we are like dead last or 2nd last in terms of high danger chances.. and relying on the goalie too much. 

It’s also suuuuuuper early in the season and basing just about anything on the aggregate numbers to this point is suspect. 

48 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

It’s also suuuuuuper early in the season and basing just about anything on the aggregate numbers to this point is suspect. 

their high danger chance against indivdually have been relatively high over their career it's not an anomoly. both of them best suited with someone that's a little more defensive.. but for the moment they are the best we got not because they are the best.. it's the best combo of the bunch.. and i question whether or not we can sustain this.. the goalie saving at a ridiculous 98% rate when they are on the ice despite all the high danger chance.. and us as a team scoring at 15% clip when the highest last season is 11% 

Edited by wai_lai416

Now that we've gotten here and finally have this type of chemistry on D, and with Hughes's comments about loving the pairing and Hronek being the best he's played with ... you don't break that up. You find a way to build the other pairings.

Allvin needs to get us another top Dman..

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1