Vilmer Alriksson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

I dunno. 25 points in 49 games in your D+1 does not bode well for making the NHL

Hell yeah. The kid is almost 19 years old. Time to dump him quick before he loses all his value. I mean what's the chance of a 6'6 214 lb player getting any better after that age, right?

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Hell yeah. The kid is almost 19 years old. Time to dump him quick before he loses all his value. I mean what's the chance of a 6'6 214 lb player getting any better after that age, right?

The hope could maybe be that he can improve his speed.  Sometimes bigger lanky guys will improve their coordination later than guys who maxed out their height at 15 or 16.  The stat profile doesn't scream that this one's a hit but later pick give it time see what happens.

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not what I'm saying at all, let's just pump the brakes on the kid. He hasn't produced offensively like many of us thought he would. No matter what size you are, 0.5 PPG as a 19 year old forward in a JUNIOR league isn't good.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, TopChed said:

I don't understand our late pix last year. I don't claim to know jack about prospects but after Hunter nobody seems very promising. 

Sawyer Mynio, drafted last year around the same time as Hunter is starting to get some very good positive comments sent his way.

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

I dunno. 25 points in 49 games in your D+1 does not bode well for making the NHL

11 hours ago, TopChed said:

I don't understand our late pix last year. I don't claim to know jack about prospects but after Hunter nobody seems very promising. 

Will jump in on this as I heard some coverage of this topic.

1. Players picked in rounds 4 -7 are longshots. Less than 10% of those guys play 200 or more NHL games (the equivalent of 2 1/2 full seasons), and most of those guys are bottom of the lineup grinders. 

2. So if they just pick the BPA in rounds 4-7 that guy is not likely to be a useful NHL player. And, if he is, he will probably be only a marginal NHL'er.

3. The Canucks adopted the strategy of taking guys who are "high variance" -- unusual picks. They probably won't work out but if they do they might be very good.

4. So the Canucks went "off the board" on all their picks after Brz. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

Not every player progresses the same way.  6’6” and 214 pound players don’t grow on trees.  He is a project that if he pans out he is going to be a stud in the bottom 6.  We’ve had guys that weren’t even drafted that came in and became stud players.  Alex Burrows and Chris Tanev being the two better examples…

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not every player progresses the same way.  6’6” and 214 pound players don’t grow on trees.  He is a project that if he pans out he is going to be a stud in the bottom 6.  We’ve had guys that weren’t even drafted that came in and became stud players.  Alex Burrows and Chris Tanev being the two better examples…

Maybe it’s just me but I’d rather a 4’10 midget who can actually play hockey over a 6’6 guy who can barely crack half a point a game in juniors.