Vilmer Alriksson

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

Will jump in on this as I heard some coverage of this topic.

1. Players picked in rounds 4 -7 are longshots. Less than 10% of those guys play 200 or more NHL games (the equivalent of 2 1/2 full seasons), and most of those guys are bottom of the lineup grinders. 

2. So if they just pick the BPA in rounds 4-7 that guy is not likely to be a useful NHL player. And, if he is, he will probably be only a marginal NHL'er.

3. The Canucks adopted the strategy of taking guys who are "high variance" -- unusual picks. They probably won't work out but if they do they might be very good.

4. So the Canucks went "off the board" on all their picks after Brz. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Agree with this strategy. No slight against Vilmer, but it’s refreshing to see those unicorn-type potential players drafted with our late round picks.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

Maybe it’s just me but I’d rather a 4’10 midget who can actually play hockey over a 6’6 guy who can barely crack half a point a game in juniors.

So a player of any size that does not score at a rate of 50%, is useless.

So anyone that has a good defensive game.....is useless??????

What about if he is just physical...any room for him......Reeves seems to be carving out a career

Not to mention, big guys develop later that 4 foot midgets......co-ordination, strength, all play apart

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, JIAHN said:

What about if he is just physical...any room for him......Reeves seems to be carving out a career

Not to mention, big guys develop later that 4 foot midgets......co-ordination, strength, all play apart

Well, Reaves had similar junior stats minus the buckets of PIMS he was racking up… so unless Alriksson wants to convert himself into an all-time enforcer, I don’t see much of an NHL future for him at his current pace 

2 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

Well, Reaves had similar junior stats minus the buckets of PIMS he was racking up… so unless Alriksson wants to convert himself into an all-time enforcer, I don’t see much of an NHL future for him at his current pace 

I don't disagree with you, Alrksson is a long shot. But he does come with a great set of pluses. Time will tell, and it is blind luck if he ever develops into a NHL player.

My fingers are crossed. But in reality ???????

On 2/11/2024 at 1:15 PM, TopChed said:

I don't understand our late pix last year. I don't claim to know jack about prospects but after Hunter nobody seems very promising. 

Define promising.

89th overall LD Sawyer Mynio (11G 27A in 44 games) is playing very well for a Seattle Thunderbirds team that was gutted after all its best players aged out. 

105th overall C Ty Mueller (8G 15A in 28 games) is leading his 6th place U. of Nebraska-Omaha team despite not having a lot of talent around him. He's been in on 45% on Omaha goals.

Both guys show some promise, but making the jump to the NHL is a huge leap. Let's see what they can do in Abbotsford and go from there.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 2/13/2024 at 9:08 AM, Jim Tim said:

Lots of big guys take longer to develop.

On 2/13/2024 at 9:08 AM, Jim Tim said:

Alriksson played in the junior league in Sweden up until this season.  So it’s his first year in North America.  Will take him a year to adjust.  At least he is playing in junior.  Klimovich was sent to the AHL as an 18 year old and I think it has screwed up his development a little bit.

6’6” players also don’t grow on trees and take much longer to develop.  Joshua as a power forward was still playing in the AHL at 25 years old.  He really didn’t “break out” until this season at age 27.  Alriksson just turned 19 yesterday.  

Let’s see what he does in Abby next season…

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:04 AM, JIAHN said:

I understand you're playing devils advocate here Jan buuuuut vilmer is not a Reeves comparable. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alriksson played in the junior league in Sweden up until this season.  So it’s his first year in North America.  Will take him a year to adjust.  At least he is playing in junior.  Klimovich was sent to the AHL as an 18 year old and I think it has screwed up his development a little bit.

6’6” players also don’t grow on trees and take much longer to develop.  Joshua as a power forward was still playing in the AHL at 25 years old.  He really didn’t “break out” until this season at age 27.  Alriksson just turned 19 yesterday.  

ECHL too.

• Cheers 1

On 2/20/2024 at 12:05 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Skating, passing, etc. those can be improved over time and work. You can't teach height

• Cheers 1

On 2/20/2024 at 12:05 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Just a question: - Is he even eligible to play in the AHL next year?

He just turned 19 this week. I believe that he was drafted by the Guelph Storm and has signed a standard OHL contract. Normally he would have to be 20 (calendar year) to play in the AHL.

He is not signed by the Canucks and therefore was not loaned to the Storm by the Canucks.

There are exceptions if the player comes from a European league. Not sure of what the age requirements for Swedes to play in the AHL are.  I think that I heard that the NHL has a minimum age agreement with Swedish Hockey for play on NHL farm teams. They can play in the NHL, the same as CHL players.

My initial thought is that he is not eligible to play in the AHL next year but I don't know.

Would involve researching agreements between the various leagues.

The positive outcome, in my opinion, if he is not eligible to play in the AHL, is that he will probably have at least another year to mature physically.

Reading an old scouting report, he needed considerable physical development to his 6'6" frame before he would be ready to play in the pro leagues.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

Just a question: - Is he even eligible to play in the AHL next year?

He just turned 19 this week. I believe that he was drafted by the Guelph Storm and has signed a standard OHL contract. Normally he would have to be 20 (calendar year) to play in the AHL.

He is not signed by the Canucks and therefore was not loaned to the Storm by the Canucks.

There are exceptions if the player comes from a European league. Not sure of what the age requirements for Swedes to play in the AHL are.  I think that I heard that the NHL has a minimum age agreement with Swedish Hockey for play on NHL farm teams. They can play in the NHL, the same as CHL players.

My initial thought is that he is not eligible to play in the AHL next year but I don't know.

Would involve researching agreements between the various leagues.

The positive outcome, in my opinion, if he is not eligible to play in the AHL, is that he will probably have at least another year to mature physically.

Reading an old scouting report, he needed considerable physical development to his 6'6" frame before he would be ready to play in the pro leagues.

The minimum age requirement to play in the AHL is 18 years old.  Danila Klimovich started playing in the AHL as an 18 year old, he was never sent to junior when he came over.  Normally, drafted players from the CHL need to stay in the CHL until age 20 (December 31 of that year).  However, with Alriksson, when he was drafted he was playing in Sweden, so the NHL/CHL transfer agreement doesn't apply and Alriksson can play in the AHL next season as long as the Canucks sign him to a contract.

Primer: What is the NHL-CHL transfer agreement, and how does it affect prospects? (dkpittsburghsports.com)

Another exception is if an NHL club drafts a player out of a European league, and then the player joins one of the CHL leagues after the NHL draft. Since he was property of an NHL team before he joined the CHL, he isn't bound to the transfer agreement. This is a rare occurrence though, as most players drafted out of European leagues continue to develop in the European league before moving to North America.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The minimum age requirement to play in the AHL is 18 years old.  Danila Klimovich started playing in the AHL as an 18 year old, he was never sent to junior when he came over.  Normally, drafted players from the CHL need to stay in the CHL until age 20 (December 31 of that year).  However, with Alriksson, when he was drafted he was playing in Sweden, so the NHL/CHL transfer agreement doesn't apply and Alriksson can play in the AHL next season as long as the Canucks sign him to a contract.

Primer: What is the NHL-CHL transfer agreement, and how does it affect prospects? (dkpittsburghsports.com)

Another exception is if an NHL club drafts a player out of a European league, and then the player joins one of the CHL leagues after the NHL draft. Since he was property of an NHL team before he joined the CHL, he isn't bound to the transfer agreement. This is a rare occurrence though, as most players drafted out of European leagues continue to develop in the European league before moving to North America.

The transfer of European Juniors can be quite complicated. I am definitely not an authority on this matter but I did do a little research.

Most of the European leagues have pursued separate "Junior Transfer Agreements" with the NHL. Similar to the "NHL - CHL Transfer Agreement".

One such Agreement, signed in 2022, does exist between the NHL and the SHL (which oversees most matters connected to Swedish hockey).

I have attached a portion of a Highlights paper on that Agreement that has to do with Swedish Juniors playing in the AHL.

NHL PLAYER TRANSFER AGREEMENT HIGHLIGHTS: NHL AND SWEDEN

4. AHL Transactions 

Much like the intricacies involved in NHL teams sending young CHL players to the AHL, this Agreement has its own rules that apply to Swedish players. An NHL team may freely send a 1st round draft pick to the AHL. Players selected in the 2nd round or later require consultation with the player’s Swedish team. If a player (not including a 1st round pick) is younger than 24, he should be sent back to Sweden. While the Swedish team could waive its rights to this, the NHL team cannot offer anything of value to entice the Swedish team to do so. In fact, it is the NHL’s position that this could amount to salary circumvention. However, there is nothing stopping the NHL team from speaking with the Swedish team about its intentions. 

This was important to the SHA as they wanted young players coming back to Sweden to develop versus playing in the AHL. As part of the negotiations, the SHA gave up this rule applying to all players (including 1st round picks). In exchange, the NHL agreed to increase the required age from 21 to 24.

It is important to remember that these restrictions are provided in the Agreement between the NHL and SHA, and not a specific internal NHL or AHL rule. Much like the NHL’s agreement with the CHL relating to players in the AHL. 

After reading this paper, I am still not 100% certain that he couldn't play in the AHL but it looks like it would be improbable that he would.

Edited by Artemus

7 hours ago, Artemus said:

The transfer of European Juniors can be quite complicated. I am definitely not an authority on this matter but I did do a little research.

Most of the European leagues have pursued separate "Junior Transfer Agreements" with the NHL. Similar to the "NHL - CHL Transfer Agreement".

One such Agreement, signed in 2022, does exist between the NHL and the SHL (which oversees most matters connected to Swedish hockey).

I have attached a portion of a Highlights paper on that Agreement that has to do with Swedish Juniors playing in the AHL.

NHL PLAYER TRANSFER AGREEMENT HIGHLIGHTS: NHL AND SWEDEN

4. AHL Transactions 

Much like the intricacies involved in NHL teams sending young CHL players to the AHL, this Agreement has its own rules that apply to Swedish players. An NHL team may freely send a 1st round draft pick to the AHL. Players selected in the 2nd round or later require consultation with the player’s Swedish team. If a player (not including a 1st round pick) is younger than 24, he should be sent back to Sweden. While the Swedish team could waive its rights to this, the NHL team cannot offer anything of value to entice the Swedish team to do so. In fact, it is the NHL’s position that this could amount to salary circumvention. However, there is nothing stopping the NHL team from speaking with the Swedish team about its intentions. 

This was important to the SHA as they wanted young players coming back to Sweden to develop versus playing in the AHL. As part of the negotiations, the SHA gave up this rule applying to all players (including 1st round picks). In exchange, the NHL agreed to increase the required age from 21 to 24.

It is important to remember that these restrictions are provided in the Agreement between the NHL and SHA, and not a specific internal NHL or AHL rule. Much like the NHL’s agreement with the CHL relating to players in the AHL. 

After reading this paper, I am still not 100% certain that he couldn't play in the AHL but it looks like it would be improbable that he would.

Alriksson doesn’t play in Sweden anymore. So the Canucks don’t have to consult his Swedish team as he no longer has a Swedish team. He now has a contract with a CHL team. So the NHL/SHL agreement is irrelevant. 

As per what I posted it’s pretty clear that Alriksson can play in the AHL next season. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alriksson doesn’t play in Sweden anymore. So the Canucks don’t have to consult his Swedish team as he no longer has a Swedish team. He now has a contract with a CHL team. So the NHL/SHL agreement is irrelevant. 

As per what I posted it’s pretty clear that Alriksson can play in the AHL next season. 

You seem quite certain that Vilmer Alriksson can play in the AHL next year because you believe that his transfer by his Swedish team, Djurgardens to the Guelph Storm would negate, in this instance, the NHL/SHA Agreement. Maybe but I doubt it. The NHL central registry does record, at the time of the draft, what league that player was drafted from.

If Vilmer is signed by the Canucks, Djurgardens and the Swedish Hockey Association are going to want their money.

From what I have read, it would seem most likely that Vilmer Alriksson will be playing hockey in a junior league not the AHL. Probably with the Guelph Storm for one more year after this season.

Elias, as the topic of where he will play next year doesn't appear to be of too much interest to anyone else , I would end this discussion with the suggestion of a friendly wager between us. To be decided at the start of the next hockey season. I believe that he will be playing junior. You believe that he could be playing in the AHL.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:27 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Not every player progresses the same way.  6’6” and 214 pound players don’t grow on trees.  He is a project that if he pans out he is going to be a stud in the bottom 6.  We’ve had guys that weren’t even drafted that came in and became stud players.  Alex Burrows and Chris Tanev being the two better examples…

Exactly, I could see him carving out a bjugstad type career and that’s a huge win from where he was drafted

IMG_8172.jpeg

6 hours ago, Artemus said:

You seem quite certain that Vilmer Alriksson can play in the AHL next year because you believe that his transfer by his Swedish team, Djurgardens to the Guelph Storm would negate, in this instance, the NHL/SHA Agreement. Maybe but I doubt it. The NHL central registry does record, at the time of the draft, what league that player was drafted from.

If Vilmer is signed by the Canucks, Djurgardens and the Swedish Hockey Association are going to want their money.

From what I have read, it would seem most likely that Vilmer Alriksson will be playing hockey in a junior league not the AHL. Probably with the Guelph Storm for one more year after this season.

Elias, as the topic of where he will play next year doesn't appear to be of too much interest to anyone else , I would end this discussion with the suggestion of a friendly wager between us. To be decided at the start of the next hockey season. I believe that he will be playing junior. You believe that he could be playing in the AHL.

Your original question was whether Alriksson was eligible to play in the AHL. I said he was and showed the information that proves that. So that was our original discussion. 

Whether he actually plays in the AHL is another discussion. I believe he will as it will be best for his development. Similar to Klimovich. 

I could be wrong though and they may very well keep him in junior for one more year. We will see. No reason for a friendly wager. I am sure you will remind me you are correct if he does stay in junior next season.  ☺️

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your original question was whether Alriksson was eligible to play in the AHL. I said he was and showed the information that proves that. So that was our original discussion. 

Whether he actually plays in the AHL is another discussion. I believe he will as it will be best for his development. Similar to Klimovich. 

I could be wrong though and they may very well keep him in junior for one more year. We will see. No reason for a friendly wager. I am sure you will remind me you are correct if he does stay in junior next season.  ☺️

Actually, I had no intention of contacting you next season to remind you of this topic. Would be a petty thing to do.

Was just hoping to quietly put this topic to bed, in a low key, friendly manner. Hence the suggestion of a friendly wager.

However, there is a statement in your last post that could be discussed.

Statement: - I believe it (the AHL) will be best for his development. Similar to Klimovich.

I believe that Benning made a mistake in placing an eighteen year old Klimovich in the AHL. That he wasn't ready to play against men. That it hampered his development. That he probably would have developed better playing amongst his peers. I remember games when he was a healthy scratch.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...