Vilmer Alriksson

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Amid all this Canuck failure crap going on lately, we have encouraging news.

Size? Ya' can't teach that ands he's got that in spade; 6'6"- 215lbs. The kid's huge, apparently can skate and has a quick release. And he's only 19yrs. old! He could get bigger! 

I absolutely have huge (No pun intended!) hopes for this kid. It's awesome that he's in our CHL system; gets to compete on our smaller ice surface and North American style of play. 

This management has seemingly boosted our once dismal prospect pool, to one of awe and respectability in such a short a time. I get that we gave up some draft picks and prospects to boost up the big club for the playoffs. It was bound to happen. However, JR/PA and Co definitely have their finger on the pulse of things. So, I'm not worried.

With Alriksson's untapped potential and other promising prospects up and coming, our future looks bright. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Amid all this Canuck failure crap going on lately, we have encouraging news.

Size? Ya' can't teach that ands he's got that in spade; 6'6"- 215lbs. The kid's huge, apparently can skate and has a quick release. And he's only 19yrs. old! He could get bigger! 

I absolutely have huge (No pun intended!) hopes for this kid. It's awesome that he's in our CHL system; gets to compete on our smaller ice surface and North American style of play. 

This management has seemingly boosted our once dismal prospect pool, to one of awe and respectability in such a short a time. I get that we gave up some draft picks and prospects to boost up the big club for the playoffs. It was bound to happen. However, JR/PA and Co definitely have their finger on the pulse of things. So, I'm not worried.

With Alriksson's untapped potential and other promising prospects up and coming, our future looks bright. 

Big difference since Benning and his scouting. If I recall, he had one really good scout but they parted ways. 

Edited by Rip The Mesh

On 2/26/2024 at 1:04 AM, Artemus said:

Actually, I had no intention of contacting you next season to remind you of this topic. Would be a petty thing to do.

Was just hoping to quietly put this topic to bed, in a low key, friendly manner. Hence the suggestion of a friendly wager.

However, there is a statement in your last post that could be discussed.

Statement: - I believe it (the AHL) will be best for his development. Similar to Klimovich.

I believe that Benning made a mistake in placing an eighteen year old Klimovich in the AHL. That he wasn't ready to play against men. That it hampered his development. That he probably would have developed better playing amongst his peers. I remember games when he was a healthy scratch.

Klimovich was one of the exceptions of prospects who COULD play in the AHL at 18 years old, whereas most players would've either had to choose the CHL OR the NCAA route. Under the AHL, the belief was that the development could be done in-house by the Canucks.

With the right coaching, he could flourish against men faster, or at least competently.

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Big difference since Benning and his scouting. If I recall, he had one really good scout but they parted ways. 

Yes, I thought Judd Bracket (director of Amateur scouting for the Canucks) was very good but he had some conflicts with Benning and when his contract came to an end the Canucks made him an insulting offer to re-sign so he went to Minnesota.

It is not entirely clear which picks they disagreed about, but it is believed that Juolevi (a Benning pick) was one of them. There are also some conflicting reports about whether Benning did not want to pick Pettersson. Benning has said he was on board with Petey. Of course that had to be true at some point as Benning actually made the picks on draft day, but apparently he had to be pushed pretty hard.

Benning came up through the scouting route and was an "old school" eye-test guy. And arguably he was a very good "eye test" scout. But the availability of more data and better methods, including analytics, has reduced the value of the eye test (and improved scouting quality). At least, modern GMs need to be able to use the eye test and analytics.

So I think modern scouting was kind of passing Benning by. But, overall, his drafting record was ok to pretty good. It was all the other areas of GM responsibility where he failed badly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/25/2024 at 6:30 AM, Artemus said:

You seem quite certain that Vilmer Alriksson can play in the AHL next year because you believe that his transfer by his Swedish team, Djurgardens to the Guelph Storm would negate, in this instance, the NHL/SHA Agreement. Maybe but I doubt it. The NHL central registry does record, at the time of the draft, what league that player was drafted from.

If Vilmer is signed by the Canucks, Djurgardens and the Swedish Hockey Association are going to want their money.

From what I have read, it would seem most likely that Vilmer Alriksson will be playing hockey in a junior league not the AHL. Probably with the Guelph Storm for one more year after this season.

Elias, as the topic of where he will play next year doesn't appear to be of too much interest to anyone else , I would end this discussion with the suggestion of a friendly wager between us. To be decided at the start of the next hockey season. I believe that he will be playing junior. You believe that he could be playing in the AHL.

So, what did I win?  😊

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, what did I win?  😊

Yeah. No.  Not yet. The bet was that he would not be in the AHL next year.

He would have to be signed to a Professional contract and start next year in the AHL.

You did note that this was an Amateur Tryout Contract?

Because he was not drafted from the CHL, Alriksson along with other Swedish players such as Lekkerimaki, can be brought up to the baby Canucks.

The Canucks would probably like to bring up all their D+1 draft picks and give them a little exposure to the professional ranks, if they could.

So Elias, if he starts next year in the AHL, please get back to me and I will declare you the winner of our friendly wager.

Or if he doesn't start in the AHL next year you can also contact me.

Cheers!

Edited by Artemus
  • Cheers 1