CFFGML - 2023-24

40 minutes ago, Relyt Krets said:

Hate to do this as my check in, however...

I will be stepping down from all external roles (Agent/Clause guru) in GML asides from being GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. This year has been quite taxing on me being an  acting agent and spendings hours of days to try to help this league progress and keep this ship running smoothly. Life got in the way for most other agents and execs this year and I fully understand this but this year I was not expecting to bare 90% of the load throughout the season. Again this has become quite taxing on me with some of the abuse I have taken and criticisms of just trying to help out and take time away from my days, weeks and months to keep things going as well as they could. Again this is not a shot at anyone, just an explanation as to the suddenness of this. I have taken some time away from FH and have bounced this around for some time and this is the conclusion I came too.

Again, I will continue with being the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, but I will use my new found time to regain the fun that FH used to be for me and more importantly for being a dad and a supportive partner for my partner.

So with that, I am here!

Thank you for all your time here, having the time to properly GM your club is one thing, but the added roles and time you have given is very much appreciated, thanks so much for that.

Just a reminder to teams, I will be available to help with agent duties and will get on the same page as the agent group, provide an update on whom is available and active in agent group in a post here in short order.

Thanks again @Relyt Krets!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Relyt Krets said:

I will be stepping down from all external roles (Agent/Clause guru) in GML asides from being GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. This year has been quite taxing on me being an  acting agent and spendings hours of days to try to help this league progress and keep this ship running smoothly. Life got in the way for most other agents and execs this year and I fully understand this but this year I was not expecting to bare 90% of the load throughout the season. Again this has become quite taxing on me with some of the abuse I have taken and criticisms of just trying to help out and take time away from my days, weeks and months to keep things going as well as they could. Again this is not a shot at anyone, just an explanation as to the suddenness of this. I have taken some time away from FH and have bounced this around for some time and this is the conclusion I came too.

Again, I will continue with being the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, but I will use my new found time to regain the fun that FH used to be for me and more importantly for being a dad and a supportive partner for my partner.

So with that, I am here!

Many thanks for all you have done here, and in other leagues around the forums too. You deserve a break 100%, and I am glad you chose a healthy way to take it. So happy you are staying on as the GM of your club. Here's to you and all you have accomplished for us!🥂

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 11:23 AM, canuck2xtreme said:

It's that time of year where we are working on putting together things for next season, including rule adjustments, requirements etc.

So if you have any questions, comments, constructive criticism or suggestions, please let me know!! Always open to ideas to improve everyone's experience!

Also, while I'm at it...

ACTIVITY CHECK!!!

sitting here.

counting on a lottery win.

just like in real life…

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tony Romo said:

Question: How does one go about to calculate how much cap has been paid on a player in the year and how much cap would be left if I were to send a player down?

Calculate Zach Galifianakis GIF

At this point, I just announce moves and let God ( @canuck2xtreme ) take over.

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Tony Romo said:

Question: How does one go about to calculate how much cap has been paid on a player in the year and how much cap would be left if I were to send a player down?

Accrued cap is calculated by days on the roster.

You divide the player's caphit by total days in season ( 192 ) which hives you your daily caphit.

To calculate accrued cap simply multiply daily cap x days on roster.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:05 PM, Relyt Krets said:

So with that, I am here!

Thank you for your service RL. 

You did yeoman’s work and I know for a fact that it is and will always be appreciated greatly.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:05 AM, Relyt Krets said:

So with that, I am here!

You were amazing, worked hard; appreciate your time a lot!

Enjoy some time off!  🙂 

• Like 1

image.png.2f009d4578d6dc6b1dedd01a8e71e765.png

Prospect Report

As Seattle's own Kraken have been out of the playoff scene since before the trade deadline, and are currently looking forward to the draft lotto, we take a look at the prospects from the last two draft years. Notably, this offseason's crop of prospects that will need to be signed to ELC's is a whopping TEN skaters, with three more who will need to be signed between now and summer 2025. Let's take a look at the Kraken unsigned D prospects first:

Owen Pickering

21st overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft

The 6'4"Captain of the Swift Current Broncos in the WHL managed 46 points in 59 games this year, one more point in two fewer games than his previous campaign.

The First Round draft pick has a good motor, swift feet and the raw size and power of an NHL top four Dman. His puck distribution skills speak to a future Power Play QB however his transition to the pro level will be crucial to secure his future upside potential. next year will be a fun one to watch this future star's development. Already in the WHL playoffs, this post season will be a great evaluation tool as well. 

Elias Salomonsson

46th overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft, acquired via trade this month with NJD. 

Already a PRO in Sweden's SHL, Elias managed 11 points over 31 games playing against the best men in Swedish Hockey. another 5 points in 10 Champions League  games and already has a goal in 4 outings in the post season overseas. Another Smooth Skating, Offensive minded Dman standing at 6'2", Elias is about to start round 2 of the SHL playoffs, but looks to move to North America upon completion of the post season, if there is a path to play more games here before the summer in the NHL Jets system. With his skating his strongest attribute, followed by puck handling and physicality, Salomonsson prototype may be the future of the Blue Line in the NHL if he can hone his hockey IQ over these formative years. No stranger to winning he already has a Gold and Bronze medal at the U18 WJC's to go with his silver at the U20 Worlds.

Maveric Lamoureux

52nd overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft

Maveric is a well rounded HIGHLY PHYSICAL defenseman trending upwards across the board playing the Q and team Canada at the WJC this past winter.

33 points in 39 league games, to pair with 3 points in 5 WJC games, he is currently sidelined with an injury, however, as with the two Dmen above in this writeup, Lamoureux has the size, skill and foot speed to endure in the NHL. 

Beau Akey

45th overall in 2023's GML Entry Draft, my first Dman selection and third Seattle Pick of the 2023 draft.

Akey suffered a season ending shoulder injury back in early November, however before that he managed 4 goals and 5 assists in 14 games with the OHL's Barrie Colts! 

With Barrie in the OHL Playoffs, there is a slim chance Beau Akey makes it into the lineup upon return from the injury, but not likely. Luckily we don't have to sign him to his ELC until next summer, giving him a solid year to return to the previous excellent form on the blue line. 

Isaiah George 

84th overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft

Quietly doing all the right things to build his game for the Pros, Isaiah is a smooth skating two way dman with the 'quickness and mobility of a smaller skater while being capable of playing a heavy physical game thanks to his 6'1" 194 pound frame'.  Managing 30 points in 68 games this year in teh OHL, his best points of three solid years there, the current playoff push of his London Knights will be a crowning glory to his junior career. His shooting, skating, passing, puck handling, physicality and hockey sense are all above average, which begs why a 3rd round pick in the GML draft? Questions around his offensive production clearly lowered his draft ranking. Time will tell if he can add to his impressive skillset and trend towards more offense, however at 84th overall, his future in the NHL looks bright enough without that next step forward.

David Spacek

102nd overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft

The Czechia native had an outstanding junior career, culminating in a point per game with the QMJHL Sherbrooke Phoenix in 22-23 and 8 points in 7 WJC games for the Czech junior national team, however in his first pro season, David took a step backwards in his trajectory. A lot of kids have a speed wobble coming from Junior to the Pros and so we are not too concerned with Spacek's future projection, as he went from a big fish in the little pond to a regular sized fish in a giant ocean this year. Next year looks to have him on firmer footing as the great shutdown dman with two way potential will look to get back on track as an NHL Minnesota property thru to summer 2026.

next up: our Unsigned Forward Prospect Group, 8 young men looking make a name for themselves in the Pro's. Stay Tuned.

• Like 1

Injured Reserve: The Washington Capitals place Logan O'Connor on the injured reserve

Activation: The Washington Capitals activate Evgeny Kuznetsov and place him on the NHL roster

Washington Capitals Current Lineup

Carter Verhaeghe     -  Mark Scheifele        -   William Nylander

Miles Wood               -  Evgeny Kuznetsov   -   Anthony Mantha

Cole Smith                -   Adam Henrique       -   Stefan Noesen

Brandon Duhaime    -   Kevin Stenlund        -   Andrew Cogliano

Kyle Okposo

Devon Toews          -       Brady Skjei

Brenden Dillon        -       Jake McCabe

Nikita Zadorov        -       Ryan Suter

Joel Edmunsdson   -       Vincent Desharnais

Andrei Vasilevskiy

Jonathan Quick 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Squeak said:

Appears my team is taking the deadline sell-off as a challenge and then deciding to produce….. 

Last time that happened, we went to the finals…

Your team has blown up! Been amazing since the deadline...

image.png.2f009d4578d6dc6b1dedd01a8e71e765.png

Prospect Report

As Seattle's own Kraken have been out of the playoff scene since before the trade deadline, and are currently looking forward to the draft lotto, we take a look at the prospects from the last two draft years. Notably, this offseason's crop of prospects that will need to be signed to ELC's is a whopping TEN skaters, with three more who will need to be signed between now and summer 2025. Let's take a look at the Kraken unsigned FORWARD PROSPECTS GROUP next:

Samuel Honzek

20th overall in 2023's GML Entry Draft - we have one more year to sign him

The 6'3"Captain of the Vancouver Giants in the WHL managed 31 points in 33 games this year, and 1 goal for three playoff games thus far. He had a good showing at the WJC's with 4 points in 5 games. At the end of last year he was a finalist for Rookie of the Year in the WHL, the high end visionary forward was injured in the Flames Training camp and that led to only 33 games this past season. In his draft year he was only beaten out for points by Bedard and Cristall in scoring at the half way point. Looking forward to a full healthy year of his development within the flames organization next year and we will certainly enjoy having him in camp after the summer, while we don't have to sign him until next summer, which is a relief as we have eleven prospects to fit into our contract limits this offseason. A bumper Crop.

Quentin Musty

18th overall in 2023's GML Entry Draft - we have one more year to sign him

Another great forward who technically doesn't need to be signed this summer, Quentin has a high chance to force our hand. At 6'2" tall and 205 pounds, he certainly is built like an NHLer already, and his stats line for this year is off the hook, he has nothing left to prove outside the Pro leagues. 102 points in 53 games played with the OHL's Sudbury Wolves and already 6 points in 4 playoff games. Said to have "astronomical upside" with elite handling and passing, above average skating and a violent wrist shot. His on ice vision and pass selection have caught up to his handling and shooting ability pushing his ceiling towards Superstar potential. That being said, he is still 18! he will do well to get some AHL time to his credit and see how his skillset translates into the pros. I am looking forward to this one maturing into a full time role with the Kraken, but all in due time. 

Brad Lambert

20th overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft - must sign

This kid is the reason I agreed to take on this team when I was hired to GM the Kraken. Nothing else really mattered about the roster so much as seeing Brad Lambert on the list of prospects, one of three forward unsigned prospects I inherited and knew I would be keeping in our system. His skating and Puck Handling are off the charts, while his hockey sense, on ice vision and passing are all above average, and his shot selection is coming together at the right time in his career trajectory to make Brad Lambert a lock for a decent floor in the NHL's Jets system. No doubt he faltered a bit in his draft year, which explains how this club managed to pick him up 20th overall. Since that draft day he has been outstanding on North American ice. 38 points in 26 regular season games in 22-23..followed by an outstanding 26 points in 17 playoff games, before posting 49 points in 58 games this season in the AHL. Last season he also had 3 points in his first 14 AHL games and 3 points in the Memorial Cup's 5 game appearance. This stud is quietly putting together the resume for an accomplished NHL career and we will be happy to sign him in a few short weeks to kick his GML career into high gear. Did I mention he was the AHL's rookie of the month for March? he leads the Moose in scoring and is Second among AHL rookies with 49 points.

Topi Ronni

113th overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft (Drafted by Philly) - must sign

This NHL 2nd rounder somehow fell to the 4th round in GML the year before I arrived at the helm of the club and I traded for him back in December 2022, half a year after his draft. This year the 19 year old outperformed his peer group with 32 points in 20 games in the U20 SM-sarja playing for Tappara. He earned himself 22 Liiga games with the big club as well managing 2 points in 22 games. A possible move to North America may help this hard working pivot improve his offense, as he projects as a complimentary middle six two way player. Looking forward to seeing how next season unfolds for him.  With Tappara in the Champions HL he currently has 1 point in 6 games.

David Goyette

51st overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft - must sign

The second of three unsigned forward prospects inherited when i took over and intended to keep, David has superb puck handling and passing skills that led to him putting up 117 points this year in 68 OHL games for the Sudbury Wolves, playing with Quentin Musty, coincidentally. In the ongoing playoffs he has already notched 3 goals and 2 assists in just 4 games. Goyette is ready to turn pro, and should have a top six job when he matures into the NHL. He has steadily improved year over year at every level and he leaves no doubt about his ability to do so in the Pro's. It will be a pleasure to have this prospect signed and in our system for the next three years.

"He is a near flawless skater who can handle the puck and execute at high speeds" - exactly what we want.

Adam Sykora

41st overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft - must sign

The third of three inherited forward prospects, Adam Sykora put up 11 points in 20 games with the AHL's Wolfpack after a slower start to the season, his first on North American Ice. He improved year over year playing against men in Slovakia as a teenager, and put up 2 points in 5 games at the WJC's this year for the Slovak national Junior club. Next year will be a big tell on Sykora's ability to bring his game to the North American Pros, and he projects to a middle six winger position in the GML.

Aleksanteri Kaskimaki

77th overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft (Drafted by Jersey) - must sign

The 20 year old was acquired via trade from Jersey in January and possesses above average passing, shooting and skating, with an upwards trajectory on his NHL ceiling. 17 points in 48 Liiga games with limited ice time, he continues to improve year over year. At his recent and final WJC tournament Aleks managed 4 points in 7 games and in Liiga Playoffs this past little while has a point in 6 games played. Perhaps a jump to North America is the next step for the gifted Center man. 

Jordan Gustafson 

87th overall in 2022's GML Entry Draft (Drafted by Philly) - must sign

The guy who does everything right. Proactive in all three zones, he grew up playing Center, Wing and Defense, and it shows. The Captain of the Seattle Thunderbirds managed 28 points on 32 games this season as he finished out his incredible WHL career of 127 points over 154 games played, with 20 playoff points in 34 games to go along with the regular season success. The future NHL GOlden Knights middle sixer was a target at the draft that they traded up to get. All things bode well, as his all around play, situational awareness and jack of all trades composure combine with quick feet to all but ensure a successful pro career for the pivot.

All in all, these 8 forward prospects represent a future up and down our lineup, where we hope to build from within with confidence. 
the Future of the Kraken is, in my humble opinion well fleshed out, as we added 26 players to the organization since taking over early in the 2022 season. On top of that we added five picks, one of them a first round pick, to the club to put meat on the bones while dipping out of the playoffs for my second season, which should yield excellent draft results. I am optimistic about a turnaround as fast as next season, with our post deadline game trending up, rather than down in points per game yield. Not too much work to do, with lots of cap space to do it in. Your Seattle Kraken will look to move up and seize our playoff spot back next year.