[Article] Salary Cap Deep Dive: Vancouver Canucks

RWJC

Can't wait til Beau and Myers come off the books, and Petey and Hronek get their extensions, their our core will mostly be locked in.  Fill out the roster fringes with more cheap talent like they've done and this team should be ready to be in their contention arc.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

That OEL cap hit in two years is awful. That basically costs us Kuzmenko. 

4.7 million in two years won't buy you much.  

I'm guessing that 30 point wingers will be going for 4 million by then. We'll be looking at a 90 million salary cap going into that summer. 

Don't get me wrong, it will still suck, especially because everyone knew that OEL was injured last year and would come back stronger, but I trust Alvin and company and it's hard to argue with the results so far. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

And OEL is actually tearing it up pretty good in Phoenix.  On a 20 goal and 50 point pace.

I was looking him up the other night to he is doing fairly well this year. However it looks like he has gotten a decent amount of time and points on the Powerplay and possibly the 1st D-Pair? I believe Ekblad hasn’t played much yet as well. So OEL wasn’t going to get those opportunities here with Hughes on the team. OEL is a good dman when healthy but he isn’t the dman the Canucks need and for that price unfortunately.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, AK-19 said:

That OEL cap hit in two years is awful. That basically costs us Kuzmenko. 

Likely we're always going to have to flip one of Kuzmenko or Brock anyways, in a similar way that we dealt with Horvat.   Fully expect to see some trades over the next few years.   With firsts coming and going. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/20/2023 at 11:26 PM, Phil_314 said:

Can't wait til Beau and Myers come off the books, and Petey and Hronek get their extensions, their our core will mostly be locked in.  Fill out the roster fringes with more cheap talent like they've done and this team should be ready to be in their contention arc.

And add another top four.    QHs and Hronek aren't enough, can't rely on old dudes forever (Cole, Schenn) and Soucy isn't a top four guy (yet anyways).    Even pencilling in Willander in say 3 years as a top four (that's pushing it)...still missing a top four D. 

• Cheers 2

On 11/21/2023 at 11:52 PM, IBatch said:

And add another top four.    QHs and Hronek aren't enough, can't rely on old dudes forever (Cole, Schenn) and Soucy isn't a top four guy (yet anyways).    Even pencilling in Willander in say 3 years as a top four (that's pushing it)...still missing a top four D

IMO operative word ought to be "two-way" top 4 D.  Can't just be all guns blazing.