Tonight's game against the Avs is a statement game and a defining moment in the season. Are the Canucks Contenders or Pretenders?

Are the Canucks   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Canucks

• Contenders
    • Pretenders

So those Canucks yeah. 

As I have watched this season progress I have notice somethings, this team is not like the Canucks teams of the past. Or at least I hope not.

First, there is some serious talent on this team that we have never seen before. Hughes is the best D-man this franchise has ever had Period. 

Second, Pettersson one of if not the best playmaking centers and sorry Henrik best scoring centerman this Franchise Has ever had. 

Third, Miller is the the best 2nd line center this Franchise has ever had. So between Miller and Pettersson the best 1-2 punch at center. Yes even better than Henrik and Kesler. 

Forth, Demko is proving to be as good or better than guys like Kirk Mclean, Richard Brodeur( for those not old enough he lead the Canucks to the 1982 Stanley cup final) and Jacob Markstrom. 

By now I guess you know where this might be going. The elite players on this team are better or just as good as the elite players that have lead the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals. You could even say the same of the depth that this management has put together. Hronek, and Cole are up their as solid D-man. The bottom 6 is up there with that of the 2011 group. Honest opinion the 2011 bottom six was a lot more physical. 

But this post is not about where this team could be it is about where it is now and how this game is a statement game and a defining moment.

This game is important and I think one that will be looked back on if the Canucks go Far in the Playoff or fail early. (yes I think the Canucks make the playoffs this season).

So the question remains why.

1st, it is game 20. roughly 25% through the season 24.39% to be exact. At this point the Canucks still have a PK that for a lack of a better term sucks. 

2nd, Against the best teams making the playoffs, Rangers they Lost 4-3 in OT. Tor Lost 5-2 (on the big stage in Toronto on hockey night in Canada) and won against the Stars 2-0. I think these games matter it shows how they truly stack up against the contenders. 

2 B) The Avs are a contender and more importantly a conference contender. There is only 2 maybe 3 teams in a different category higher than teams like the Rangers, Star, Avs and Tor. those would be Boston, Vegas which we play on the 30th and TBL (not as elite as the first 2 but sill 2 time recent champs). So the Avs are where I see the Canucks are at, in that group top end but not elite. But the Canucks unlike the Avs have a question mark next to them. This is their first season with this core group here that they have been Good. Beating teams like the Avs at the 25% mark of a season is what the Canucks need to be doing to prove not to the the Fans but themselves that they can beat these guys.

3) Most people probably read the title and thought I was going to compare the Canucks directly to the the Avs roster. The Hughes Maker matchup. The Pettersson Mackinnon Matchup. But the truth is as much fun that it is to compare the rosters the Avs are a far more established team then the Canucks. Heck the Avs won the Stanley Cup in 2022. Don't get me wrong i think the players for both sides know who is on the other side of the ice and both teams are bringing their A games. But here lies the question mark surrounding the Canuck will the Canucks bring their A game? Tocchet himself has already said about his team that they need to learn to play tired. Loses to Calgary and Seattle are unacceptable but back to back it it is disgraceful for Contenders.

SO ARE THE CANUCKS CONTENDERS OR PRETENDERS WE WILL SEE TONIGHT.

GO CANUCKS GO 

Edited by CanuckFanForever

I did want to mention 1 other thing. It doesn't matter if they win or lose. It matters how they play tonight. Can they go head to head with the Avs. Do they get outshot. Do they come out of the gate ready to play or do they come out flat. 

Winning or losing doesn't tell the whole story when 2 good teams play 1 team has to win 1 team has to lose. If i was a betting man I wouldn't bet this game the odd to me are 50-50. 

Winning for the Canucks on the other hand would show that they came to fight. Losing a hard fought game would be ok to.  Losing poorly would show this team is just not Ready yet.

1 hour ago, CanuckFanForever said:

But this post is not about where this team could be it is about where it is now and how this game is a statement game and a defining moment.

No it's not.  It's just one game.

They could lose tonight and dominate the rest of the season.  They could win tonight and bomb later.  It's just one game.

Teams often preach about not getting too high after a win or too low after a loss.  The only game that is a statement game is one where one team gets eliminated from post-season play.  Anything else is just one game.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

They could lose tonight and dominate the rest of the season.  They could win tonight and bomb later.  It's just one game.

Teams often preach about not getting too high after a win or too low after a loss.  The only game that is a statement game is one where one team gets eliminated from post-season play.  Anything else is just one game.

You can buy the cliches all you want. How about this one. It's all about confidences. So far after the first they came to play but if it goes bad like a bad penalty call that can be deflating.  

24 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

Game 6 2011 Stanley Cup final wasn't an elimination game but it sure did the Canucks in

2 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

So those Canucks yeah. 

As I have watched this season progress I have notice somethings, this team is not like the Canucks teams of the past. Or at least I hope not.

First, there is some serious talent on this team that we have never seen before. Hughes is the best D-man this franchise has ever had Period. 

Second, Pettersson one of if not the best playmaking centers and sorry Henrik best scoring centerman this Franchise Has ever had. 

Third, Miller is the the best 2nd line center this Franchise has ever had. So between Miller and Pettersson the best 1-2 punch at center. Yes even better than Henrik and Kesler. 

Forth, Demko is proving to be as good or better than guys like Kirk Mclean, Richard Brodeur( for those not old enough he lead the Canucks to the 1982 Stanley cup final) and Jacob Markstrom. 

By now I guess you know where this might be going. The elite players on this team are better or just as good as the elite players that have lead the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Finals. You could even say the same of the depth that this management has put together. Hronek, and Cole are up their as solid D-man. The bottom 6 is up there with that of the 2011 group. Honest opinion the 2011 bottom six was a lot more physical. 

This game is important and I think one that will be looked back on if the Canucks go Far in the Playoff or fail early. (yes I think the Canucks make the playoffs this season).

So the question remains why.

1st, it is game 20. roughly 25% through the season 24.39% to be exact. At this point the Canucks still have a PK that for a lack of a better term sucks. 

2nd, Against the best teams making the playoffs, Rangers they Lost 4-3 in OT. Tor Lost 5-2 (on the big stage in Toronto on hockey night in Canada) and won against the Stars 2-0. I think these games matter it shows how they truly stack up against the contenders. 

2 B) The Avs are a contender and more importantly a conference contender. There is only 2 maybe 3 teams in a different category higher than teams like the Rangers, Star, Avs and Tor. those would be Boston, Vegas which we play on the 30th and TBL (not as elite as the first 2 but sill 2 time recent champs). So the Avs are where I see the Canucks are at, in that group top end but not elite. But the Canucks unlike the Avs have a question mark next to them. This is their first season with this core group here that they have been Good. Beating teams like the Avs at the 25% mark of a season is what the Canucks need to be doing to prove not to the the Fans but themselves that they can beat these guys.

3) Most people probably read the title and thought I was going to compare the Canucks directly to the the Avs roster. The Hughes Maker matchup. The Pettersson Mackinnon Matchup. But the truth is as much fun that it is to compare the rosters the Avs are a far more established team then the Canucks. Heck the Avs won the Stanley Cup in 2022. Don't get me wrong i think the players for both sides know who is on the other side of the ice and both teams are bringing their A games. But here lies the question mark surrounding the Canuck will the Canucks bring their A game? Tocchet himself has already said about his team that they need to learn to play tired. Loses to Calgary and Seattle are unacceptable but back to back it it is disgraceful for Contenders.

SO ARE THE CANUCKS CONTENDERS OR PRETENDERS WE WILL SEE TONIGHT.

GO CANUCKS GO 

This is a good post but I don't agree with the thesis.  

One game doesn't determine if a team is a contender or a pretender.  

82 games.

The season is a marathon not a sprint.  

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

This is a good post but I don't agree with the thesis.  

One game doesn't determine if a team is a contender or a pretender.  

82 games.

The season is a marathon not a sprint.  

If the Canucks had come out and got run over by the Avs with the accumulation of the 2 loses against Calgary and Seattle. I think you could say this team isn't ready. But as you can see i said If they had because they didn't and that says a lot

8 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

If the Canucks had come out and got run over by the Avs with the accumulation of the 2 loses against Calgary and Seattle. I think you could say this team isn't ready. But as you can see i said If they had because they didn't and that says a lot

Even if that had happened, I would have disagreed with that take.  Most teams go through peaks and forays throughout a season.  

Back in 1993/94 for instance, I'm sure the Canucks had an example or two of poor stretches of play throughout the regular season.  

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Even if that had happened, I would have disagreed with that take.  Most teams go through peaks and forays throughout a season.  

Back in 1993/94 for instance, I'm sure the Canucks had an example or two of poor stretches of play throughout the regular season.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

sorry bad example, that is what was called a Cinderella run

57 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Game 6 2011 Stanley Cup final wasn't an elimination game but it sure did the Canucks in

No it didn't.  

Even though the Bruins won the game 4-0 (one of which was an empty-netter), the Canucks actually outplayed Boston that game.  

Look at the shot totals and hit totals of that game.  Bruins won that game because Thomas played extremely well and they capitalized on their chances.  

No it didn't.  

Even though the Bruins won the game 4-0 (one of which was an empty-netter), the Canucks actually outplayed Boston that game.  

Look at the shot totals and hit totals of that game.  Bruins won that game because Thomas played extremely well and they capitalized on their chances.  

game 6 was the 5-2 lose and game 7 the Canucks got shut out

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Cinderella run or not, the Canucks didn't "break" in so called "pretender or contender" one-game-stands during the season.

My point being that the 93/94 Canucks probably lost a few of these types of games at the time.  

93-94 the Canucks where a .500 hockey team and not considered a contender at all

Cinderella run or not, the Canucks didn't "break" in so called "pretender or contender" one-game-stands during the season.

My point being that the 93/94 Canucks probably lost a few of these types of games at the time.  

we agree to disagree half way. I believe 1 game can have a huge effect on a fragile team. Not on a contender 

We are starting to see cracks with this team. We aren't going to be as good as Boston (season wise), but we also saw how Boston lost in the first round. How this team performs by the middle part of the season will be much more defining.

As of now until there's more games played, the Canucks are pretenders. I'd love for the Canucks be CONTENDERS, but it's simply too early to start "handing out the sweets" as Harnarayan Singh would say.

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

We are starting to see cracks with this team. We aren't going to be as good as Boston (season wise), but we also saw how Boston lost in the first round. How this team performs by the middle part of the season will be much more defining.

As of now until there's more games played, the Canucks are pretenders. I'd love for the Canucks be CONTENDERS, but it's simply too early to start "handing out the sweets" as Harnarayan Singh would say.

I wouldn't call them pretenders but I can't call them Contenders. They are up and comers. they have to beat the other up and comers and prove they are moving forward. The can't lose to the Calgary's  and Seattle's of the league and they have to fight like hell like they did tonight to learn how to be contenders 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I wouldn't call them pretenders but I can't call them Contenders. They are up and comers. they have to beat the other up and comers and prove they are moving forward. The can't lose to the Calgary's  and Seattle's of the league and they have to fight like hell like they did tonight to learn how to be contenders 

Pettersson is 25, Miller is 30, boeser is 26, Kuzmenko is 28, Demko is 28....

Youngish,  but not rookies either. They should be a bit more than up and coming. These next 2 seasons will be very telling 

• Like 1