Non-gameday discussion: These two Canucks should be getting more ice time

Miss Korea

Hogs provides the team with a chance to consider or make a trade (Kuzmenko, or well Hogs, Garland), if it makes sense.   

One thing about those WAR cards, what happens when the quality of competition goes way up though?   A little harder to get the nice blue boxes isn't it?  They become lighter blue or more pink.   Myers case in point.  It's really easy to do your role well, if your put in a position to succeed.     As for Lafferty?!  Guys on pace to score 20 goals and 40 points,  PK's well and is almost free.  Not unhappy with him at all, if they didn't disallow last games goal.   

Players go on streaks.    Hogs, is he on a streak right now, or legit breaking out?   Maybe worth the gamble and making a trade, he'd maybe  be going on Millers line, unless that trade is Kuzmenko.   We didn't sign Kuzmenko to play in the bottom six.    

As for Garland.    Brock and Mikheyev.   Which one would you demote?   

And now for the kicker.   IF the bottom six, is playing great and contributing (which of course it is,  some of the best production we've in decades) why would you mess with that?     

It's our defense that needs a boost.   Playing with some AHLers right now.   If anything you've pointed out we have some guys who we could trade now, that earlier we couldn't. 

Edit:  I do agree both Garland and Hogs are playing really well.    Not sure if it's time yet to mix it up.    We need a bottom six that can contribute.    They've been keeping us in games, and well last game we win that 9/10 times.   Bad luck there.   It's also bad luck, that our best D replacements, aren't healthy.     This is the seasons test.    I'm not opposed to moving both Hogs and Garland up either.    Who do you demote though?    PDG/Beau  for Hogs.    Or Kuzmenko.   Garland likely stays.   Although i've always been curious what he could do with EP,  in limited ice time, so far anyways, it hasn't worked out great.    Mikheyev works both in the top and bottom six for sure.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

How about this:

Hogs Miller Brock 

Mikheyev EP Garland

Beau  Bluegar  Kuzmenko 

Joshua Lafferty  PGD

That's radical.     Maybe it boost's the top six.   Third line is ??? to say the least.    Also a lot of these guys shot left.   Mikheyev on his left side would allow Garland a spot.    This would allow everyone to shoot their natural side aside from PGD.     Lafferty deserves a shot at C, plus he's a righty.    Aman I guess doesn't have a spot, or Aman slots in and rotate Joshua and PGD in and out.   While we wait for Suter anyways. 

Either that or:

Garland (off-wing) Miller Brock 

Hogs EP Mikheyev (off-wing). 

Have fun creating a third line though. 

One other blender move:

?  (Beau likely) Miller Brock 

Hogs EP Garland 

Kuzmenko Bluegar Mikheyev.   That third line at least has teeth still.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hogs provides the team with a chance to consider or make a trade (Kuzmenko, or well Hogs, Garland), if it makes sense.   

One thing about those WAR cards, what happens when the quality of competition goes way up though?   A little harder to get the nice blue boxes isn't it?  They become lighter blue or more pink.   Myers case in point.  It's really easy to do your role well, if your put in a position to succeed.     As for Lafferty?!  Guys on pace to score 20 goals and 40 points,  PK's well and is almost free.  Not unhappy with him at all, if they didn't disallow last games goal.   

Players go on streaks.    Hogs, is he on a streak right now, or legit breaking out?   Maybe worth the gamble and making a trade, he'd maybe  be going on Millers line, unless that trade is Kuzmenko.   We didn't sign Kuzmenko to play in the bottom six.    

As for Garland.    Brock and Mikheyev.   Which one would you demote?   

And now for the kicker.   IF the bottom six, is playing great and contributing (which of course it is,  some of the best production we've in decades) why would you mess with that?     

It's our defense that needs a boost.   Playing with some AHLers right now.   If anything you've pointed out we have some guys who we could trade now, that earlier we couldn't. 

Edit:  I do agree both Garland and Hogs are playing really well.    Not sure if it's time yet to mix it up.    We need a bottom six that can contribute.    They've been keeping us in games, and well last game we win that 9/10 times.   Bad luck there.   It's also bad luck, that our best D replacements, aren't healthy.     This is the seasons test.    I'm not opposed to moving both Hogs and Garland up either.    Who do you demote though?    PDG/Beau  for Hogs.    Or Kuzmenko.   Garland likely stays.   Although i've always been curious what he could do with EP,  in limited ice time, so far anyways, it hasn't worked out great.    Mikheyev works both in the top and bottom six for sure.  

The bottom six was already tampered with when the Canucks demoted Di Giuseppe and scratched Kuzmenko.  And when Blueger timely replaced an injured Suter.  At this point, I'd just keep messing with things until we can string some consistent wins together again.

I think fans have seen enough individual and costly mistakes from Myers to realize that regardless of what situation he's put in, he will still make those bad plays and take some really stupid penalties.  He is a pure chaos giraffe - he'll make two good plays and three bad ones, all in the span of a 40 second shift.  Someone like Lafferty does put up excellent defensive numbers... and that's because he's an excellent defensive player.  He has some obvious finishing talent but he shouldn't ever be a permanent fixture in our top six.

On that same note, I think fans should be happy enough with Höglander that he should get the promotion to the 2nd line and not Beauvillier.  We didn't trade for Beauvillier so he could feature on our bottom six either.  Same goes for guys like Garland, Boeser, and Kuzmenko.  But we are so stacked with talent on the wings, this is where we've ended up.  You're damn right we need defencemen, and I'm hoping we offload Beauvillier, not Garland/Kuzmenko.  I think it's unrealistic we can get rid of both and move $8.5M in salary.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

How about this:

Hogs Miller Brock 

Mikheyev EP Garland

Beau  Bluegar  Kuzmenko 

Joshua Lafferty  PGD

That's radical.     Maybe it boost's the top six.   Third line is ??? to say the least.    Also a lot of these guys shot left.   Mikheyev on his left side would allow Garland a spot.    This would allow everyone to shoot their natural side aside from PGD.     Lafferty deserves a shot at C, plus he's a righty.    Aman I guess doesn't have a spot, or Aman slots in and rotate Joshua and PGD in and out.   While we wait for Suter anyways. 

Either that or:

One other blender move:

Hogs EP Garland 

That first line combination is a radical move for sure, but I would definitely try this for one period.  A bigger question is when Suter comes back - who comes out?

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

How about this:

Hogs Miller Brock 

Mikheyev EP Garland

Beau  Bluegar  Kuzmenko 

Joshua Lafferty  PGD

Either that or:

One other blender move:

Hogs EP Garland 

Garland and Miller have always had very good chemistry and I'd like to see CG get some time playing with him.  

• Cheers 2

I understand why some hard working players get put on the top lines

Most coaches keep a tandem of players on lines

I remember the Canucks trying to find a fit for the Sedins

Burrows was given that opportunity (who's career was greater than his individual skill set)

Burrows himself said

“I thought I was going to be a checker all my life,” Burrows said. “I didn’t have the skill set of a top six player".

I think Hogs or Garland deserve some time with Miller and Boeser.

I wouldn't do anything to the Petey line.  They need to fight through it and honestly, once Petey gets going again, everything will be fine.

The bottom 6 can have any rotation of Suter, Blueger, Aman, Lafferty, Joshua, PDG, Beauvillier.

Personally I'd like to see (while Suter is injured):

Hoglander/Garland-Blueger-Joshua

PDG-Aman-Lafferty

Hasn't it always been Tocchet's style to reward defensive/ high-energy guys with some size?  PDG and Lafferty are both higher-energy but complementary guys who could do well next to skill as shown so far.  If Hoglander doesn't need that help from his linemates I'd be fine with him not playing up the lineup if he can still pop off by himself.  Garland I'm not sure why he's not getting more time, but it seems like him, Joshua and Suter were a strong 3rd line so if that's coach's role for him and he's doing well, I don't think we should reinvent the wheel and disrupt any existent chemistry.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Garland and Miller have always had very good chemistry and I'd like to see CG get some time playing with him.  

With Brock's revitalized game, would love to see Garland (offhand)-Miller-Brock. Garland always drives offense when paired with larger line mates; just gets more ice and less pressure. 

Have said it many times; Garland has elite skating and hands. He cant help that he's only 5'6" (he is NOT 5'10" as listed). IF you can give him some space and time where he isn't getting mauled (not sure how he doesn't draw even more penalties), he is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

With Brock's revitalized game, would love to see Garland (offhand)-Miller-Brock. Garland always drives offense when paired with larger line mates; just gets more ice and less pressure. 

Have said it many times; Garland has elite skating and hands. He cant help that he's only 5'6" (he is NOT 5'10" as listed). IF you can give him some space and time where he isn't getting mauled (not sure how he doesn't draw even more penalties), he is ridiculous.

I'd like to see that too.  As a coach, and a player, I never really cared about what hand a player shoots with.  If you're a winger, you go where needed and where there's chemistry

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

am i the only one who wants at least one hard to play against wingers on each line?

right now we have lafferty, joshua and diguiseppe. we also have a couple of small scrappy wingers in hoglander and garland.

these players also have to be strong defensive players too.

most successful lines have, a scorer, a playmaker and a strong defensive player that is harder to play against.

the sedins had burrows; west coast express had bertuzzi; gradin and smyl had fraser, even gretzky and kurri has semenko.

imo, we need one more top 6 winger like that. personally i like diguiseppe with miller and boeser. he gives the other two, more freedom and courage to do what they do best.

• Upvote 1

Just now, smithers joe said:

am i the only one who wants at least one hard to play against wingers on each line?

right now we have lafferty, joshua and diguiseppe. we also have a couple of small scrappy wingers in hoglander and garland.

these players also have to be strong defensive players too.

most successful lines have, a scorer, a playmaker and a strong defensive player that is harder to play against.

the sedins had burrows; west coast express had bertuzzi; gradin and smyl had fraser, even gretzky and kurri has semenko.

imo, we need one more top 6 winger like that. personally i like diguiseppe with miller and boeser. he gives the other two, more freedom and courage to do what they do best.

I would say Hogz is probably one of hardest, if not the hardest, to play against on the team

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would say Hogz is probably one of hardest, if not the hardest, to play against on the team

I know Canucks fans would hate to hear it but he’s looking like a young Marchand out there.

Hopefully he doesn’t cross the line into full time rat though. 😂

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

Hes gotta be reminded why he earned his spot and get back to that. He hasn’t proven to be an everyday NHLer yet.

He needs to refine his pizza delivery skills that got him on the top line earlier. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I have said this before weeks ago when blueger was coming back that pdg hasn’t done much should be considered to be taken out but someone said to me that he will never be taken out of the lineup. We will see if he gets scratched next game