The defense is fine now. Time to focus on the top 6

Blue

We added Hronek , Saucy and Zadorov. It's time to stop saying that we need to add another defensman. We are getting too greedy and don't appreciate what we have. All Ds are flawed. See Ben Hutton in Vegas.

Every trade is a gamble and maybe Allvin should quit while he's ahead. 

But if we do anything , it should be looking to add a piece to the top 6. The departure of Horvat and Beauvillier is going to leave a mark. 

A top 6 player with some finish shouldn't be that hard to find. It's certainly easier than finding NHL defensman. 

Who could we target ? I think we should keep an eye on the waiver wire. It will have to be bargain bin type deals. Sub 3 million. 

Or just call up Bains and throw him in the deep end and see what he can do ?

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

We added Hronek , Saucy and Zadorov. It's time to stop saying that we need to add another defensman. We are getting too greedy and don't appreciate what we have. All Ds are flawed. See Ben Hutton in Vegas.

But if we do anything , it should be looking to add a piece to the top 6. The departure of Horvat and Beauvillier is going to leave a mark. 

A top 6 player with some finish shouldn't be that hard to find. It's certainly easier than finding NHL defensman. 

Who could we target ? I think we should keep an eye on the waiver wire. It will have to be bargain bin type deals. Sub 3 million. 

Sexy Hannah GIF by HannahWitton

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

to OTT - Garland and ?

to VAN - Tarasenko

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Tarasenko

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Something like that but OTT is not in the mood for futures. We'd have to add a 2nd or something but they won't be interested. 

But it could be someone older. Is there any Patrick Kanes out there anymore ?

8 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

to OTT - Garland and ?

to VAN - Tarasenko

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Tarasenko

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

We would need to have Pettersson change his last name to have an all Ukrainian line of Kuzmenko - Pettersenko - Tarasenko 🙂 

I don't think the defense is fine. We have an excellent top pair, a bunch of solid #4/5 type guys, and a bunch of depth defenders. There is no one who can anchor a 2nd pair or (god forbid) play big minutes if Hughes or Hronek are out. I think a good 2nd pair defenseman is still a higher priority than any upgrades up front. That said, I think it's something that should wait for the offseason to address. Need Pettersson and Hronek extensions in place to know how much cap is left over to solve the problem.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Blue said:

F that! We may also need another "Mikheyev" in our top 6 (size, speed, grit) to push PDG down, but we also still need a long term 2nd pair RD. If not now, this summer.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, _____

Soucy, Bear/Willander etc

Brisebois, Friedman

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I don't think the defense is fine. We have an excellent top pair, a bunch of solid #4/5 type guys, and a bunch of depth defenders. There is no one who can anchor a 2nd pair or (god forbid) play big minutes if Hughes or Hronek are out. I think a good 2nd pair defenseman is still a higher priority than any upgrades up front. That said, I think it's something that should wait for the offseason to address. Need Pettersson and Hronek extensions in place to know how much cap is left over to solve the problem.

Exactly this. 

The talk all season was the acquisition of another RHD. Sure. We got Zads and quite frankly I'm glad we  did. More beef, heft, physicality; can't go wrong with those attributes for sure. But he's a LHD. 

- Will it be Myers?!!!?!??? Dude's playing okay as of late. The big RHD that we already have in hand. With less minutes Myers isn't so much the 'Chaos Giraffe.' Will he still be with us though?!?!???

- Is Bear the guy?!?!?!??!?? I like him, but I dunno. It's pretty apparent that if Bear is to be with us, his partner will be a behemoth! So maybe he'd work. We're not the only team looking at him though. As mentioned many a time in CFF; if we get him cheap.

• Like 1

Once we get another top 4 D that can eat up 20+ minutes a game. it’ll be a lot better. 

Soucy and Zads will make a great 3rd pair. 

Myers-Cole can be replace with a top 4 D and one of the prospects when they are ready. If not find another 4/5 in the short term. 

Needs to be a top 4 D that can be a leader in the defensive end since we lack that. 

2 hours ago, Dude said:

Dude,Myers should have a Timbits jersey on.That man is plain and simple not a NHL caliber defenseman.His brain has worn out faster than his body.

What the fuck is Zadorov doing in Myers corner?

Zadorov 3GVA 

Myers 1GVA

Hronek on for 4 goals against

Myers 1 goal against. Quit sippin the haterade. 

Myers struggled on a few plays, he also broke up some plays in the slot area as well. Zadorov made everyones job harder last night, Hronek is out to lunch in the dzone. 

11 hours ago, Crimson JH said:

You mean Russian… ?

Well, by their current passport - yes. However, historically, the last names ending with "enko" are Ukrainian. I'm pretty sure that both Kuzmenko and Tarasenko have Ukrainian roots. During long history a lot of people moved around in that part of the world.

1 hour ago, RomanPer said:

Well, by their current passport - yes. However, historically, the last names ending with "enko" are Ukrainian. I'm pretty sure that both Kuzmenko and Tarasenko have Ukrainian roots. During long history a lot of people moved around in that part of the world.

Ah okay, I didn’t know that part of their surname are actually roots to Ukraine.  

Timing of the post right before a horrific defensive display isn't the best, but I do agree with the sentiment.   We are missing a true 1/2 RHD depending on where Hronek lives but we can't afford that and hope that Wilander will eventually become it sooner rather than later. ( still 1 more year at a min maybe more )

With a full roster and a competent replacement for Myers, i do agree the top 6 is probably a bigger mess tho.

PDG started great but has fallen off - few teams win a cup with him on your top line. 
Petey's line just isn't working. Myk is a career 3rd liner and Kuzy isn't good enough in his own Zone or along the boards and clearly he isn't a Toch type player

Can't decide if it's Petey who is dead cold right now or his line just isn't working.

We're missing a couple of top 6 wingers who can really play hard on the puck, as still haven't enough IQ, and shot to play there.

The hope is some of the Abby guys might grow into it, Podz would have been perfect there but can't seem to string it together at the NHL level, Raty and Bains look perfect in the AHL but were left looking very lacking in the preseason game ( tho that might have not been a fair chance ) - maybe next year. We also need better next men up too tho - Studz, Karlson etc, are just too vanilla.

Would give up our first + Kuz for a real good winger of the right age that's for sure.