[Rumour] Oil exploring a Broberg trade

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I like how EDM is trying to pump him up like he's worth an article of his own.  He's trending like Jack Rathbone right now.

Still a young D who was recently drafted high, 8OA in 2019 and only 22, could very well go on to have success elsewhere 

Thing is, if they don't have a space for him in their top 4 sooner than later he's only going to lose trade value imo

Could end up being a savvy acquisition for whoever lands him, particularly if they're a team who can afford to be a bit more patient with young D than the Oil can afford to be 

Oil should be trying to go for it now, Draisaitl and McDavid extensions loom on the horizon 

What they'd actually get for Broberg is anyone's guess though 

• Vintage 1

I still remember Benning trying to trade up from 10OA to get him. Glad we dodged that bullet, and ended up with Hoglander with the second rounder we would’ve given up. That was the Vancouver draft :DD 

edit: keyboard shortcut emojis suck

Edited by Honkin Hronek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Still a young D who was recently drafted high, 8OA in 2019 and only 22, could very well go on to have success elsewhere 

Thing is, if they don't have a space for him in their top 4 sooner than later he's only going to lose trade value imo

Could end up being a savvy acquisition for whoever lands him, particularly if they're a team who can afford to be a bit more patient with young D than the Oil can afford to be 

Oil should be trying to go for it now, Draisaitl and McDavid extensions loom on the horizon 

Will have to be a dramatic turn of events.  He turns 23 in 6 months.  11pts in 79 games in the NHL playing with an offensively heavy team. 

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

CBJ retaining 1/2 on Boqvist? 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Will have to be a dramatic turn of events.  He turns 23 in 6 months.  11pts in 79 games in the NHL playing with an offensively heavy team. 

Sure, but the old narrative of D taking longer to develop has stuck around for a reason 

Oil also have limited trade chips 

I think bottom feeding teams with D they can move will be very interested 

BJ's could flip any of Provorov, Boqvist, or Peeke for example 

A team looking to turn over it's D like Washington could give up pending UFA Edmundson 

Anaheim has Lyubushkin who's a pending UFA

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but the old narrative of D taking longer to develop has stuck around for a reason 

Oil also have limited trade chips 

I think bottom feeding teams with D they can move will be very interested 

BJ's could flip any of Provorov, Boqvist, or Peeke for example 

A team looking to turn over it's D like Washington could give up pending UFA Edmundson 

Anaheim has Lyubushkin who's a pending UFA

Broberg = Juolevi 😆

Basically the J.V of defense. Everyone in his draft year pointed out he couldn't read the game and was undisciplined and nothing has changed, other than his physical ability doesn't stand out in the NHL that well either. I remember it actually being quiet a reach for the Oil to take him that high. Glad we dodged the bullet either way - tho the jury is still out on Podz i'd say he is tracking a bit better than the Bro at this point.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Stecher and a mid round pick maybe? 

I like Troy but I don't think he'd move the needle enough for Edmonton

Broberg to Washington makes a lot of sense for Washington imo, Edmundson is a pending UFA with 1.75M cap hit and the Caps have been slipping of late 

The caveat would be Edmundson's 10-team NTC, and whether Washington has any plans of extending him or not 

But if Washington feels he'll walk they might look to move him

Washington acquired Sandin last season, could see them being open to adding another young D 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

I was really low on Philip Broberg in his draft year. I can't claim to know much about prospects outside of Sweden but at least with the Swedes I have a chance to watch them semi regularly. I'm not surprised this is where he is at. He wasn't a smart player then and he hasn't improved much on that front. 

Saying that, a lot of players just need to find the right fit.

Edited by DeltaSwede

34 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I still remember Benning trying to trade up from 10OA to get him. Glad we dodged that bullet, and ended up with Hoglander with the second rounder we would’ve given up. That was the Vancouver draft :DD 

but we coulda shoulda had caufield or Boldy... love how Benning took a kid who was trending down instead of guys that were trending up...

33 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Never hear that rumor at the time or since.

I definitely could have seen Benning taking him at 10. Most lists had him in the early teens. Edmonton reached for him based on organizational needs. They had no need for a forward like Zegras or Boldy 🤣

39 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They should have moved him after signing Kulak for 4 years. They really don’t have a lot of trade chips so it’s a fair bet that they try to use him as part of a package to try and move Campbell imo.

5 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I was really low on Philip Broberg in his draft year. I can't claim to know much about prospects outside of Sweden but at least with the Swedes I have a chance to watch them semi regularly. I'm not surprised this is where he is at. He wasn't a smart player then and he hasn't improved much on that front. 

Saying that, a lot of players just need to find the right fit.

The kid was oozing raw talent but the hockey smarts weren't there. Rarely do those types work out.

• Cheers 1