If the standings remain similar at the end, Do you think it's better to be #2/3 in the Pacific or drop to the 1st Wild Card spot?

iinatcc

For the purpose of making if further in the Playoffs where do you prefer the Canucks should finish?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. For the purpose of making if further in the Playoffs where do you prefer the Canucks should finish?

• #2 / #3 in the Pacific
    • 1st Wild Card Spot - joining the Central bracket

So I am looking at the Western Conference and, looking at their points percentage and goals for differential, it's clear that Vegas and LA are the world beaters of the Western Conference.

I was thinking if the Canucks do stay in the Top 3 of the Division (but not winning it) they would have to go through LA or Vegas in the 1st round and, most probably, the other team in the 2nd. This would either lead to two possibilities Canucks getting destroyed in the 1st and 2nd round, or getting past the 2nd round but getting so beat up that they would just be torn apart in the Western Confernece Finals.

Looking at the Central Division Dallas and Colorado are elite teams but I imagine are more manageable than LA and Vegas and whoever takes the other slot in the Top 3 of the Central Division Central slot (Winnipeg/Arizona/Nashville/St. Lous) is probably beatable. If the Canucks does get past the 2nd round they wouldn't be as beat up and might stand a better chance againts Vegas/LA in the conference finals (assuming LA and Vegas have beat themselves up pretty well in their battles)

My question is, provided, the teams remains more or less the same. Would it be better for the Canucks to drop to the 1st Wild Card spot than becoming #2/3 in the Pacific?

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

• iinatcc changed the title to If the standings remain similar at the end, Do you think it's better to be #2/3 in the Pacific or drop to the 1st Wild Card spot?
48 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So I am looking at the Western Conference and, looking at their points percentage and goals for differential, it's clear that Vegas and LA are the world beaters of the Western Conference.

I was thinking if the Canucks do stay in the Top 3 of the Division (but not winning it) they would have to go through LA or Vegas in the 1st round and, most probably, the other team in the 2nd. This would either lead to two possibilities Canucks getting destroyed in the 1st and 2nd round, or getting past the 2nd round but getting so beat up that they would just be torn apart in the Western Confernece Finals.

Looking at the Central Division Dallas and Colorado are elite teams but I imagine are more manageable than LA and Vegas and whoever takes the other slot in the Top 3 of the Central Division Central slot (Winnipeg/Arizona/Nashville/St. Lous) is probably beatable. If the Canucks does get past the 2nd round they wouldn't be as beat up and might stand a better chance againts Vegas/LA in the conference finals (assuming LA and Vegas have beat themselves up pretty well in their battles)

My question is, provided, the teams remains more or less the same. Would it be better for the Canucks to drop to the 1st Wild Card spot than becoming #2/3 in the Pacific?

Thought has crossed my mind for the last month or so.   Answered 2/3, but with a caveat, and that is home ice.  So number two.   It won't be easy getting out of the West regardless of how things play out.    The best possible scenario,  probably would be LA slips, and EDM catches up.   And we play EDM in the first round.   Even that won't be easy, given their propensity for cheap shots.   

Playing COL or Dallas in the first round...we'll both are contenders, of the two Dallas appears to be better built right now of the playoffs.   LAs had off the charts goaltending from Talbot this year too.   Not sure if that's sustainable.   He's 36, and aside from one stellar season in EDM when McDavid was just getting going, just can't see that working out for them all season.    Actually glad we don't see them for awhile.    Those games are circle the calendar worthy.   Huge games, just like our series with EDM early on was.    Still 2/3 of the games left.     EDM has resolved their issues, on a six game winning streak 

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

They've got a lot of hockey left to play and need to address some serious issues before planning for the post season.

However, a divisional spot should be their goal, imo.  They'll have a tough opponent, for sure, but scrambling to hold onto a WC spot will wear them down and they'll still have a tough opponent 

That Vegas team just looks like a wall that we will slam up against. Too big, skilled and deep. That series would need a Demko miracle. 
Don’t overthink. Develop good habits, play best you can night in night out and finish where you finish. 
‘Look at Toronto in the bubble. Thought they had the easy path, same with Bruins last year. 

28 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That Vegas team just looks like a wall that we will slam up against. Too big, skilled and deep. That series would need a Demko miracle. 
Don’t overthink. Develop good habits, play best you can night in night out and finish where you finish. 
‘Look at Toronto in the bubble. Thought they had the easy path, same with Bruins last year. 

Exactly.  Just play our game.  Work hard, and let things fall how they fall.  Just make the playoffs and have fun.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, BPA said:

To be the best you’ve got to beat the best.

This. Quite frankly, no matter who you play in the playoffs, if you get even past the first round, you're playing elite teams.

• Cheers 1

Gonna have to go through Vegas or LA at some point, but I think it'd be better to be in the wildcard position imo. Both Vegas and LA look built for the playoffs, both have more experience there too and what I'd say is better depth thus far. 

Edmonton is rattling off wins though, the Canucs can't get too comfortable. Fourteen points behind us with four games in hand, they've won six in a row. At this rate they should at least grab a wildcard but if they see more winning stretches and we keep playing .500 hockey or worse it's not inconceivable that they could pass us. 

Lot of season left though. 

At the end of the day I think Canucks fans should be happy to take whatever they get, it'd mean playoffs and just making the playoffs would have to be considered a success for this group. Obviously they want to go deeper, but after the last ten or so years the Canucks bar should simply be making the playoffs for 2-3 seasons in a row and hoping for the best. Canucks still have a lot to prove before they can be considered as part of the cream of the west. 

Don't want to face LA in the 1st round..

Too early to be talking about vying for a certain spot in the standings..all depends on where the other teams are...

This should be a thread with about 10 games left in the season. 

But NO LAK in the 1st round please. Thank you..