Hunter Brzustewicz | D

38 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Hunter Brzustewicz with 3 assists (so far) in tonight's game.

His team is leading 4-0 heading into the 3rd period.  

Wow this guy is staying red hot. 

Does anyone know any current nhl defensemen who developed in the OHL with comparable stats? I don't have a grasp on what's considered as elite scoring in the difference minor leagues. 

17 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

And it's not even close. 

Screenshot_20231018-210452.png

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

I think he leads the OHL in points too. This kid is terrific.

He's tied for league lead in points and leads the league in assists with 12

Screenshot_20231018_231914_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f5c84bfcbd226c24e5c18f96dd50269c.jpg

Also worth noting that the other D in the top 10, Kärki, is Kudryatvsev's usual partner in Soo but he didn't play last game. 

• Cheers 2

If he was picked in the top 8, we would be calling him the next Makar. The numbers he putting up is absolutely ridiculous but everyone is being cautious because of draft selection. 

To put things in perspective, Brandt Clarke (8th overall) was producing at the same clip as him but did it in his third OHL season. Hunter is putting up these numbers in his D+1 season and only his second OHL season. The article on him from Scott Wheeler provides a lot of perspective, he was on pace to being a special player when he put up 111 points in 66 games but got a shoulder injury. 

If he can maintain this pace then he will be a sure fire NHLer. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bane said:

If he was picked in the top 8, we would be calling him the next Makar. The numbers he putting up is absolutely ridiculous but everyone is being cautious because of draft selection. 

To put things in perspective, Brandt Clarke (8th overall) was producing at the same clip as him but did it in his third OHL season. Hunter is putting up these numbers in his D+1 season and only his second OHL season. The article on him from Scott Wheeler provides a lot of perspective, he was on pace to being a special player when he put up 111 points in 66 games but got a shoulder injury. 

If he can maintain this pace then he will be a sure fire NHLer. 

Keeping up his current pace might be asking a little much, he's averaging 2 points a game. His team (Kitchener) is blowing teams outta the water right now, I believe they are averaging over 6 goals a game. He'll get his points and probably a lot of PPP so the offense should take care of itself. I just hope he's working as hard on his defensive game. 

With Willander, Brzustewicz and Kurdrayvtsev in the pipeline, the future right side of the Vancouver defence looks VERY promising. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

He's also playing on a stacked team where the two guys he's tied with for 1st in league scoring are his teammates. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Brzustewicz pick and regardless of the situation his production is awesome to see. But it's also important to keep some perspective.

He’s a big reason why Kitchener is producing a high level of offence. Most of his offence is coming from even strength as well, the second highest scoring defender on Kitchener has 6 points. 

Edited by Bane
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

He's also playing on a stacked team where the two guys he's tied with for 1st in league scoring are his teammates. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Brzustewicz pick and regardless of the situation his production is awesome to see. But it's also important to keep some perspective.

Agreed. But then again, I also felt the same way and had apprehensions about M. Tkachuk because of his playing with Marner… I hope we get something similar here!

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Ya he’s why they’re up there in points. Am I wrong?

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hunter is turning 19 in November, so he can sign with the Canucks in the spring and play in Abby next season.  

With Hunter and Willander on the right side, I am not sure we would need Hronek long term.  If negotiations get difficult next summer, I can see the Canucks try and package Hronek for a top 6 power forward...

Yes, Hunter could make Hronek an expendable piece. Much too early though.

I wouldn’t sign Hronek to a long term contract. Perhaps 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yes, Hunter could make Hronek an expendable piece. Much too early though.

I wouldn’t sign Hronek to a long term contract. Perhaps 3 years.

That would be the perfect term for us, maybe not for Hronek. I'm hoping they don't try to sign him too early though, maybe after the all-star break or end of the season. I'd like see how this season plays out for Hronek (injury wise) and our developing prospects (Willander, Hunter & Kirill). If 1 or 2 of them take a leap forward in development I don't wanna be locked into a 7-8 year contract with Hronek. 

So far Hronek has come as advertised though IMO

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 4