[Proposal] Make a Trade, then Make Another

This management team has shown that they do go out to another team to acquire what they need to complete a deal for a player they really like (acquiring the 1st out of the Horvat trade to flip it for Hronek).

So... with that said...

Rumour has it Adam Larsson is on the block.  Not exactly the guy I want to put us over the top, but could be used as an asset to get what I think we need.

To VAN:

Adam Larsson

Kailer Yamamoto

To SEA:

Andrei Kuzmenko

Filip Johansson

2024 3rd Round Pick

SEA:  Yamamoto has not looked good at all this year.  With only 3 goals and 6 points in 25 games, and relegated to 4th line duties, he's expendable.  Moving him basically to make this trade cap neutral for both teams.  Moving Yamamoto also frees up a winger spot for Kuzmenko to move in.  The Kraken right side looks very strong with Eberle, Kuzmenko, Tanev, and Bjorkstrand.  Johansson is a promising RHD prospect for the Kraken, as well as a 3rd round pick to sweeten the deal.

VAN:  Larsson is the key here, but we don't hang onto him for long (see below).  Yamamoto is likely just demoted to the AHL at this point.

Now to the flip...

TO VAN:

Rasmus Andersson

To CGY:

Adam Larsson

Vasili Podkolzin

2025 1st Round Pick

CGY receives an immediate top tier defensive RHD to replace Andersson.  From this deal, they also acquire excellent futures in Podkolzin and a 1st round pick.  Gives CGY a nice defensive presence on each of its top 2 pairs.  Hanifin-Larsson and Weegar-Tanev.

VAN receives a top tier RHD in Andersson who is at the perfect age to grow with the rest of this core.

VAN can sign Kessel to fill the top 6.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Petey-Kessel

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Aman-Blueger-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Andersson

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

We don't need to re-sign Cole for next year and can have Zadorov move up, or Soucy to play next to Andersson.  I think Juulsen is solid for the 3rd pair next year.

We'd have some excellent value contracts on this roster:

image.png.38734011a0c909e08c424b45f6192e84.png

Edited by HKSR

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

My god we don’t need another minuscule winger. 
Calgary isn’t trading Rasmussen Anderson though that is a major overpay.  Good player though. 

You didn't read the fine print.  Yamamoto is basically a dump for the Kraken.  3 goals this season?  Miniscule winger?  He's heading towards AHL territory.  We bury him and walk away or re-sign him for dirt cheap in the offseason.  It was just to make the cap work.

Andersson is one of the premiere RHD in the league.  He would cost a lot, and a Larsson, Podkolzin, 1st package is a very expensive package.

So:

To Vancouver:

Rasmus Andersson

Kailer Yamamoto

To Seattle:

Andrei Kuzmenko

Filip Johansson

2024 3rd round pick

To Calgary:

Adam Larsson

Vasily Podkolzin

2025 1st round pick

So Vancouver trades Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Johansson, 2024 3rd round pick and 2025 1st round pick for Anderson?  Holy smokes, that is a major overpay.  Benning is no longer here my friend...

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So:

To Vancouver:

Rasmus Andersson

Kailer Yamamoto

To Seattle:

Andrei Kuzmenko

Filip Johansson

2024 3rd round pick

To Calgary:

Adam Larsson

Vasily Podkolzin

2025 1st round pick

So Vancouver trades Kuzmenko, Podkolzin, Johansson, 2024 3rd round pick and 2025 1st round pick for Anderson?  Holy smokes, that is a major overpay.  Benning is no longer here my friend...

IT might seem like an overpay, but how many RHD do you rank above Andersson in this entire league?

Makar

Fox

Mcavoy

Hronek maybe?

Anybody else?

At his age, his cap hit, his production, his skating... he's probably close to the top 5 RHD in the entire NHL.

Kuzmenko - some value, but he's clearly struggling, and his 39 goals was from an unsustainable shooting % last year

Podkolzin - some value, but not nearly as much as before

Johansson - really doesn't move the needle a ton for most teams

1st - good value

3rd - again, not significant

I wouldn't say it's that much of an overpayment.  Just looks like it because there's 5 pieces.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

IT might seem like an overpay, but how many RHD do you rank above Andersson in this entire league?

Makar

Fox

Mcavoy

Hronek maybe?

Anybody else?

At his age, his cap hit, his production, his skating... he's probably close to the top 5 RHD in the entire NHL.

Kuzmenko - some value, but he's clearly struggling, and his 39 goals was from an unsustainable shooting % last year

1st - good value

I wouldn't say it's that much of an overpayment.  Just looks like it because there's 5 pieces.

So, you acknowledge that Hronek is at the same level as Andersson but you want to trade even more assets away to get Andersson?  Makes no sense.  Kuzmenko is still highly regarded around the league.  He could still fetch a 1st round pick.  Podkolzin is a 1st round pick but you want to trade him when he's at his lowest value.  Then on top of that add another 1st round pick just for shits and giggles.  Then just to make it complete, pull a Benning a throw a 3rd rounder in there just to get f*cked up the a** as hard as possible.

It's never a good idea to trade players when they are at their lowest values unless you are getting a suitable return.  Thank God Allvin is here now and not Benning...

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I wonder if there's any way we can get a top defenceman (Larsson, Andersson/Hanifin) and a top forward (Nylander?) and somehow give up our "scraps". On the block for us, we could afford to give up Kuzmenko, Garland, Boeser (would be a tragic piece to dangle), Lafferty, Cole or Myers for example, and of course a bunch of our prospects/picks.

Not a sustainable way to win, but we're a top-5 team in our prime so could go all-in.

What would it take to snag Nylander? What does Toronto want? Cole + Hoglander + Kuzmenko + 1st for Nylander + 5th? Too much?

What does Seattle want? Surely offence. Obviously Kuzmenko for Larsson makes sense but would Podkolzin or Lekkerimaki + roster player (Garland, Bleuger, Lafferty?) be enough? That's basically a high first round pick.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder if there's any way we can get a top defenceman (Larsson, Andersson/Hanifin) and a top forward (Nylander?) and somehow give up our "scraps". On the block for us, we could afford to give up Kuzmenko, Garland, Boeser (would be a tragic piece to dangle), Lafferty, Cole or Myers for example, and of course a bunch of our prospects/picks.

Not a sustainable way to win, but we're a top-5 team in our prime so could go all-in.

What would it take to snag Nylander? What does Toronto want? Cole + Hoglander + Kuzmenko + 1st for Nylander + 5th? Too much?

What does Seattle want? Surely offence. Obviously Kuzmenko for Larsson makes sense but would Podkolzin or Lekkerimaki + roster player (Garland, Bleuger, Lafferty?) be enough? That's basically a high first round pick.

If we want a sustainable window of winning we need to keep our top prospects and high picks. Benning is no longer our GM, thank goodness. 

• Cheers 1

Who comes out of the lineup, Suter has to play.  Was playing very well when he went down with injury. 

Do we really want an upgrade on Juulson, who, why, how much is it going to cost?   Juulson is a sturdy defensive player getting better by the game.    

Canucks are in a great spot, young players challenging for positions, extra fwd you want to play.  Does Kuzmenko come out for Suter?  Can't take Lafferty off the Petey line now, just scored, Petey with three points...   Kuzmenko?  I think he's playing pretty well defensively, aside from the NJD game, and he's going to get his happy stick scoring goals soon.  

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you acknowledge that Hronek is at the same level as Andersson but you want to trade even more assets away to get Andersson?  Makes no sense.  Kuzmenko is still highly regarded around the league.  He could still fetch a 1st round pick.  Podkolzin is a 1st round pick but you want to trade him when he's at his lowest value.  Then on top of that add another 1st round pick just for shits and giggles.  Then just to make it complete, pull a Benning a throw a 3rd rounder in there just to get f*cked up the a** as hard as possible.

It's never a good idea to trade players when they are at their lowest values unless you are getting a suitable return.  Thank God Allvin is here now and not Benning...

Hronek prior to arriving in Vancouver and playing alongside Hughes was probably not at the level of Andersson.  Andersson has been a top RHD in this league for a couple solid years now.  The question is, what would it take for the Canucks to trade Hronek now?  His value is significantly higher than it was when the Canucks acquired him.

I might've mentioned this in a different thread, but these types of trades are usually done in the offseason.  This requires a bunch of teams to panic and rush a trade through.  Now... Calgary and (especially) Seattle might be heading towards panic mode, but both Larsson and Andersson are locked up.  They can just wait for better value in the summer.

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I might've mentioned this in a different thread, but these types of trades are usually done in the offseason.  This requires a bunch of teams to panic and rush a trade through.  Now... Calgary and (especially) Seattle might be heading towards panic mode, but both Larsson and Andersson are locked up.  They can just wait for better value in the summer.

I could see that.  Unless a big offer comes their way now... then I'm sure they'd pause to reflect. 

Seattle needs one thing they've never had since their inception.  They got away with it last year but this year has made it abundantly clear: they need a proper starting goaltender.  Despite being horrid in net, the Kraken massively overachieved last season.  Everyone was either hitting career highs or something close to it.  But the injuries are starting to pile up along with the losses.

So yes, they are definitely on the verge of panicking right now but if they are to leverage a defenceman... the first to go should be Justin Schultz.  He is still a reliable two-way D-man that's far more expendable than Larsson.  And most importantly, Schultz should be traded for a goaltender.  Montreal would love to have a more reliable D-man help their extremely young blueline.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure why we'd be in panic mode?  We're the ones targeting a player that we like and going for it. 

This is an all-in push you're proposing.  Two prospects and two draft picks out, one guy in.  I'm not counting Yamamoto here.

I don't think that's the play to make in our current position.

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

This is an all-in push you're proposing.  Two prospects and two draft picks out, one guy in.  I'm not counting Yamamoto here.

I don't think that's the play to make in our current position.

Not gonna be surprised one bit if this management team goes for it.  Miller is on an excellent value contract, same with Demko and Hughes.  If Brock keeps playing the way he has been, he is a value contract too.

That's 4 out of your 5 or 6 core star players all on value contracts that extend into next season and beyond.  Then you have guys like Hoglander and Lafferty punching above their class as well. 

All of this comes to a head and this is an opportune moment to add to this roster to see what this team can do. 

If you wait just 2 years to make a push, Brock's deal is up, Hoglander's deal is up, Petey will be on a new massive contract along with Hronek.  Miller will also be turning 33. 

I think the current position for this team is a window that will be open for about 3 or 4 years before things will change dramatically.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we want a sustainable window of winning we need to keep our top prospects and high picks. Benning is no longer our GM, thank goodness. 

Yeah I do think this is the answer, just keep rolling and keeping our firsts, drafting well and developing. It's the answer to long-term success.

However, a time will come when all contenders sell even just a little bit to "go for it". Question is - why not now? The Canucks have Miller in his prime, the rest of our young core entering or in their prime...is this the best the Canucks might be? If so, if this is our window, then why not? When else will we have two 100+pt centers in their prime, the NHL defenceman scoring leader and a Vezina candidate? Things might drop off over the years.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah I do think this is the answer, just keep rolling and keeping our firsts, drafting well and developing. It's the answer to long-term success.

However, a time will come when all contenders sell even just a little bit to "go for it". Question is - why not now? The Canucks have Miller in his prime, the rest of our young core entering or in their prime...is this the best the Canucks might be? If so, if this is our window, then why not? When else will we have two 100+pt centers in their prime, the NHL defenceman scoring leader and a Vezina candidate? Things might drop off over the years.

If we still had Benning making the deals, then I’d be dead set against a “chips in” move. But with JR/Allvin steering the ship we know it will be a good decision. JR, especially, knows exactly what we need to do to have a Cup club. 

On 12/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, HKSR said:

Makar

Fox

Mcavoy

Hronek maybe?

Anybody else?

1st - good value

Weager, Anderssson, Tanev.   Talk about loaded right side.     Don't think CAL will want to go to the well with us again.