[Rumour/Speculation) Tanev extension price in CGY

Flames Notes: Tanev, DeSimone, Dube

December 16th, 2023 at 10:29am CST • By Brian La Rose

There has certainly been no shortage of trade speculation surrounding Flames defenseman Chris Tanev. 

A pending unrestricted free agent, he’s the type of shutdown blueliner that many teams would covet.  However, as Eric Duhatschek of The Athletic notes, Calgary’s preference is still believed to be to sign him to an extension, preferably a two-year agreement. 

The soon-to-be 34-year-old is currently injured with no timetable yet for a return which will further stall any possible trade discussions.  Tanev has a $4.5MM AAV and it will likely take something close to that to get him to put pen to paper on an early extension if he decides he’d like to stay with the Flames.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/12/flames-notes-tanev-desimone-dube.html#ref=home

For those wishing for him to come home, it’ll certainly have to come at a cost much less than current extension expectations. 

• Cheers 2

Tanev is a hell of a hockey player, but does building your top four with an injury prone older player make sense? At this point, the only way signing Tanev makes sense is if there is cap room to have suitable fill ins on the roster. To simply sign Tanev to top four money and hope he stays healthy is dumb imho.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Guarantee he'll go to the Laffs, They will probably make some stupid ridiculous offer.

Yip, this is what I think will happen. Oh, and when he's healthy I'm sure he will finally get the due respect for his talents that the Eastern media never gave him when he was a Canuck 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Two years at around $4m is quite reasonable....

Love Tanev, but if 4 million gets us a less injury prone player, Id rather go that route. Tanev is such a competitor, but if he wants to win a cup and sign on a contender, whoever that may be, he will need to take less.

Edited by Rekker
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Rekker said:

Love Tanev, but if 4 million gets us a less injury prone player, Id rather go that route. Tanev is such a competitor, if he wants to win a cup and sign on a contender, whoever thay may be, he will need to take less.

Tanev will need to accept a lot less than 4 per if his goal is to play on a winner. There will be several top clubs offering him 2 times two or three years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Love Tanev, but if 4 million gets us a less injury prone player, Id rather go that route. Tanev is such a competitor, but if he wants to win a cup and sign on a contender, whoever that may be, he will need to take less.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to trade our 2025 1st + for Zub (or similar) but you can't just make that happen. Jensen (WAS)  or Larsson (SEA) would be solid stop gaps as well.

For UFA's this summer though It's pretty much between ~$4mx2 Tanev, or probably closer to ~$5.5mx6 Pesce. And that's if either actually make it to market.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to trade our 2025 1st + for Zub (or similar) but you can't just make that happen. Jensen (WAS)  or Larsson (SEA) would be solid stop gaps as well.

For UFA's this summer though It's pretty much between ~$4mx2 Tanev, or probably closer to ~$5.5mx6 Pesce. And that's if either actually make it to market.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I agree with all this, just not Tanev at a 4 million cap hit. I would do Larsson at that hit NP though. 

Giving Tanev around 4 mil on a 1 year deal would be fine but I’d be leery about giving him any term.  A deal like we gave Cole this year - but this was a unique offseason.  My big issue with Tanev is that he’s not going to drive a second pair and that’s our big need ATM.  Signing him might mean pairing him back with Hughes and playing Hronek with Zadorov or Soucy. 

Hughes-Tanev

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy-Juulsen or Myers if he takes a big haircut.

Next season will be very interesting on the back end. Allvin likely has 3 options to fill out the right side: make a trade, pay a premium for a UFA, try and kick around the bargain bin… or even play a guy on his off hand.  Will be nice to see how Cole, Zadorov or Soucy look on their off hand if they all get healthy.

I can’t say what he’ll do as he’s been pretty amazing at making thing happen.

13 hours ago, The Duke said:

ATM.  Signing him might mean pairing him back with Hughes and playing Hronek with Zadorov or

imo the whole point of bringing tanev back is to provide the option. pair hughes and tanev, hronek and zadorov/soucy to spread.the ice time around for maintenance mode, but then when you need to switch into playoff mode, you load up the hughes-hronek pairing and let tanev anchor a pure shutdown second pair with zadorov (or soucy).

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, The Duke said:

Giving Tanev around 4 mil on a 1 year deal would be fine but I’d be leery about giving him any term.  A deal like we gave Cole this year - but this was a unique offseason.  My big issue with Tanev is that he’s not going to drive a second pair and that’s our big need ATM.  Signing him might mean pairing him back with Hughes and playing Hronek with Zadorov or Soucy. 

Hughes-Tanev

Zadorov-Hronek

Soucy-Juulsen or Myers if he takes a big haircut.

Next season will be very interesting on the back end. Allvin likely has 3 options to fill out the right side: make a trade, pay a premium for a UFA, try and kick around the bargain bin… or even play a guy on his off hand.  Will be nice to see how Cole, Zadorov or Soucy look on their off hand if they all get healthy.

I can’t say what he’ll do as he’s been pretty amazing at making thing happen.

We won't get Tanev on a 1 year deal and at $4 mil there are better options IMHO. Much said about his injuries which is legit. That said Tanev paired with Hughes and playing less PK might improve his health. I think the team still has to look 2 years out. Yes, they will be a playoff team this year so a stop gap RD would help. Any move that drops Meyers to 3RD helps. These scenarios are all TDL timed. I think this Canuck team finds another gear come Jan/Feb. As much as the focus is on another trade we might be surprised to find it is not essential. PA is in the catbird seat. What a Canuck novelty.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

If playoffs are the goal, and we want to have the same D core going in ... It's a lot like the Salo thing, teams better with him in the lineup, but you simply can't count on his availability.     Having a new GM might repair that bridge somewhat and maybe it's possible we go there in off season, if we can't re-sign someone.    A healthy Tanev going into the postseason is both a big boon, and a risky play, he might be injured yes.   Like the bubble year.   

Edited by IBatch

He more time that goes by now with Zadorov it seems Myers minutes have gone down, mistakes have gone down 

Zadorov is more comfortable, Suter and Bluegger are finding their stride and Soucy isn’t even back yet 

I do not see us needing tanev this year let alone if it’s costs us a quality asset 

Soucy, Cole, Zad and Chaos G are all big, tough and can hit, but can also love the puck at or above average 

juulsen is looking less bad too as a spare part 

so at this point I don’t think we have any big trade need but EP40 needs to find himself or maybe take a couple games off of that will help 

I bet JRPART would love a crouse or moser but prices might just be too steep

One final point is that due to injury we haven’t really seen Milky PK which was a big reason we squires him