Jump to content

Noah Juulsen: Depth Guy or?!?!?!?!??!?


Sativika

Recommended Posts

Do y'all think former Habs 1st rounder Juulsen, has worked his way into a full roster spot on the big club?

                   Reasons I inquire of such are:

- He has a physical game and is not afraid to use his 200plus pound body for such.

- He's improving on other parts of his game as he gets more ice with us.

- His decision making is better,

- He seemingly is playing better than...........uhhhhh........ermmmmmmm........Ian Cole, don't you think?      

                   On the other side of the coin:

- He is still just a depth guy.

- If Breezer/Wolanin were healthy, they'd be before him.

- But he's a RHD, man!!!!

 

Where do y'all think Juuls lies regarding coach/managements plans for him? 

Does Juul's improved performance pretty much put the kibosh on Jett Woo getting in?

What about McWard/Hirose. where do you think they stand now.

 

Maybe this should be in the PROSPECT forum, but Juuls is listed in the CURRENT ROSTER forum, so I figured in here. I apologize for the queries on prospects. But  It kind of goes hand in hand with the topic though.

 

 

Edited by Sativika
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like he's playing better but his size and added grit is what we really need, we can't have a butter soft roster and expect to get anywhere. I haven't been able to watch too many of our last games but the ones I have seen, he's obviously playing better than last season. 

 Along the same lines, I was sure glad we picked up Zadorov, added size there as well equals no more of our stars getting ran over like the Sedins used to. 

This is good...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the 100th time... here we go again.

 

Noah Juulsen is your standard off-puck defensive defenceman.  He was made to hit and block and nothing else.  If he has the puck, he would rather give it up and make a much cooler defensive play.  That's how single-minded he is.  For a 7th D-man, I'm totally okay with that.

 

You've lost your mind if you think that is somehow more than what a guy like Ian Cole brings to the table.  He can actually move the puck up the ice.

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

For the 100th time... here we go again.

 

Noah Juulsen is your standard off-puck defensive defenceman.  He was made to hit and block and nothing else.  If he has the puck, he would rather give it up and make a much cooler defensive play.  That's how single-minded he is.  For a 7th D-man, I'm totally okay with that.

 

You've lost your mind if you think that is somehow more than what a guy like Ian Cole brings to the table.  He can actually move the puck up the ice.

The reason Juulsen struggled to start the year is basically because he is unable to do the things with the puck that Ian Cole can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Down By the River said:

The reason Juulsen struggled to start the year is basically because he is unable to do the things with the puck that Ian Cole can. 

 

Ian Cole is exactly as advertised and OP is one of his few detractors - there are not many.  He is a puck-moving defensive D who takes a lot of penalties.

 

20 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Saw Juulsen make a pretty slick breakout pass last game 

 

Zone breakout is extremely important and I'm glad to see him improving on that.  But out of our blueline he is obviously the least comfortable doing this.  No problem - that's never been his main job as a backup player.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's depth, but I'm glad to see he's learning and getting better. We need more of a physical presence on our end of the rink.

Not sure what his ceiling is, but I'm glad he's getting a fair shake. I certainly like him more than Friedman. And a lot of nights he's more steady than Myers.

  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

 

Ian Cole is exactly as advertised and OP is one of his few detractors - there are not many.  He is a puck-moving defensive D who takes a lot of penalties.

 

 

Zone breakout is extremely important and I'm glad to see him improving on that.  But out of our blueline he is obviously the least comfortable doing this.  No problem - that's never been his main job as a backup player.

Ummm Cole is ok, definitely not great, getting better though, at the start of the year he was making some really bad plays which thankfully were covered by our scoring in games but at times he looked horrendous out there. 

 Thankfully we have Gonchar and I think people aren't giving him enough credit, obviously he's been working with NJ and it shows but sometimes a player just needs a proper coach who can teach him in a way he understands the best. Will NJ get much better than he is now? It's possible and he could become a serviceable depth 3rd pairing guy with some more one on one coaching with Gonchar or he could tank and get pushed off the roster easily but at least he's being given a chance to succeed. 

Edited by iceman1964
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juulsen is our 7th D, as soon as Soucy is back,  he heads for the press box.    At this point, he's done enough for management to avoid waivers and use him to rest our main guys up.    A pretty good chance he gets picked up.   

 

Next year is another thing entirely, there is a decent chance, he's more then this years Fatenburg. 

  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The majority seem to think that he's in the fold. But as IBatch mentions above, he's back to depth when Soucy returns. As far as my observations of Ian Cole...............

 

I like Ian Cole and what he brings to the table. I think management  acquired him fully aware of his shortcoming, but figured his upside would outweigh such. He's a Stanley Cup veteran presence that our young D can lean on.  I guess Juuls paired with Cole makes the most sense. Cole's also pretty vocal and prolly a calming presence for Jululs. 

 

I may be going off topic, and inquiring of an issue much talked about ad nauseam in CFF and the old CDC but.....................

Juulsen, we can assume then is not the answer in our quest for a RHD. That still goes on. To which I ask then:

 

In playoffs, can Juuls be good enough to step in if injury occurs with any of the core D? Can we still win games with him. And...............

 

If he's not the answer, ( And I believe he's not!) then it's obvious that we should still try for a Tanev or whoever. 

 

We still have time though. I'm in no doubt that we'll make the post season. But we're a few pieces away from contending, and management seems to agree. I guess they're in wait and see mode.

Edited by Sativika
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sativika said:

The majority seem to think that he's in the fold. But as IBatch mentions above, he's back to depth when Soucy returns. As far as my observations of Ian Cole...............

 

I like Ian Cole and what he brings to the table. I think management  acquired him fully aware of his shortcoming, but figured his upside would outweigh such. He's a Stanley Cup veteran presence that our young D can lean on.  I guess Juuls paired with Cole makes the most sense. Cole's also pretty vocal and prolly a calming presence for Jululs. 

 

I may be going off topic, and inquiring of an issue much talked about ad nauseam in CFF and the old CDC but.....................

Juulsen, we can assume then is not the answer in our quest for a RHD. That still goes on. To which I ask then:

 

In playoffs, can Juuls be good enough to step in if injury occurs with any of the core D? Can we still win games with him. And...............

 

If he's not the answer, ( And I believe he's not!) then it's obvious that we should still try for a Tanev or whoever. 

 

We still have time though. I'm in no doubt that we'll make the post season. But we're a few pieces away from contending, and management seems to agree. I guess they're in wait and see mode.

Juulsson is PROBABLY not on our club when the group is healthy. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Juulsen is our 7th D, as soon as Soucy is back,  he heads for the press box.    At this point, he's done enough for management to avoid waivers and use him to rest our main guys up.    A pretty good chance he gets picked up.   

 

Next year is another thing entirely, there is a decent chance, he's more then this years Fatenburg. 

Agree, provided they are happy to play either Soucy or Cole on their off side...

One thing is certain, he has been growing in confidence and his game as a result of it...

 

Don't think neither Wolarin nor Brisbois is ahead of him anymore. Both lefties too of course so....

 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Agree, provided they are happy to play either Soucy or Cole on their off side...

One thing is certain, he has been growing in confidence and his game as a result of it...

 

Don't think neither Wolarin nor Brisbois is ahead of him anymore. Both lefties too of course so....

 

OK, I have been pumping Juulson since October. I guess I saw him as a 3RD and better than other options. The Soucy injury, even tho he was playing LD gave Juulson some much needed TOI. He is the cheapest option on the d-core that Van has. From his playing perspective he simply continues to improve. We can see his confidence climbing. Not unnoticed that RT had him on the ice to close the game the other night. He has become a PK fixture on the 2nd unit. Obviously RT, Foote and Gonchar like what they see. Long term I don't see him surviving the improving depth that Van has growing on the RD. If he finishes strong this year he could be dealt or they might hold him for another year as a 7D. That might be determined by Soucy's play and whether they keep Cole. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

OK, I have been pumping Juulson since October. I guess I saw him as a 3RD and better than other options. The Soucy injury, even tho he was playing LD gave Juulson some much needed TOI. He is the cheapest option on the d-core that Van has. From his playing perspective he simply continues to improve. We can see his confidence climbing. Not unnoticed that RT had him on the ice to close the game the other night. He has become a PK fixture on the 2nd unit. Obviously RT, Foote and Gonchar like what they see. Long term I don't see him surviving the improving depth that Van has growing on the RD. If he finishes strong this year he could be dealt or they might hold him for another year as a 7D. That might be determined by Soucy's play and whether they keep Cole. 

That true... I think it may come down to numbers. Not sure we can afford to keep Cole, and then Juulsen is an adquate step in for 1 more season until Willander hopefullyis ready. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Juulsen. He showed last year he can play when needed, but he also showed at the start of this year he's still a replacement level player who can struggle at times. It pays to have players, particularly hometown guys, who can fill that role for cheap. But, we shouldn't be relying on them for big minutes for more than short term injury relief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...