[RUMOUR] Vancouver may be pursuing Jake Guentzel

Canucks Eyeing Jake Guentzel: Balancing Fit vs. Cost of a Rental (msn.com)

Is This the Season Canucks Sacrifice Young Prospects and Picks?

However, Dhaliwal introduces a critical perspective, questioning the rationale behind investing in an expensive rental player, particularly at Guentzel’s reported $6 million annual salary. This prompts consideration of the implications for the Canucks’ salary cap and raises the query of where Guentzel would fit in the team’s financial structure if acquired. And, what would it take to acquire him? No doubt, Vancouver would have to give away young players they don’t want to move just yet.

As the trade deadline approaches, the Canucks face a strategic decision – balancing the immediate benefits of a potential fit with Guentzel against the long-term costs associated with acquiring a high-priced rental player. The coming weeks will reveal whether Vancouver is willing to make the move and what sacrifices they are prepared to make in the pursuit of strengthening their roster.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I don’t see how we could make it work unless they’d take like Kuz, 1st and a prospect. There would need to be cap going back. I’m also not into pure rentals. I’d rather keep the picks and prospects if we can’t resign guentzel. Then there’s the problem that we’d probably get outbid if penguins were looking to get younger 

• Cheers 3

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Guentzel would complete the top 6 and put us over the top.  If you add another 40-goal scorer at the deadline to this team it would become the Stanley Cup favourites.

Add a bottom 6 forward to the group who can play tough playoff hockey like a Yakov Trenin or Sammy Blais and we are pretty much done.

The question becomes what is the cost to acquire Guentzel if he becomes available?  I'm guessing it would be our 2025 1st plus Hoglander at minimum...

Assuming that would be true:

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko

Guentzel-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

PDG-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Cole-Soucy

Demko

DeSmith

54 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

image.thumb.png.41c11df9a99f2ccb712884916a626b01.png

Cool. Looks like a jersey you'd see in the Peloton in Tour de France! Anywho........................................

............Guentzel would be a good get for sure. However I think we should wait and see where we're at come deadline. To me it's too early to go after someone of his ilk. As mentioned in here; there's a monumental cost to get him and though we'd like him, a rental player is not what we need at this point, or at all this season!

I don't know what PA has up his sleeve; I think it better to give up a mid to late draft pick for someone cheaper. Kinda' like the Lafferty one. That is, if there's anyone available as such.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Cool. Looks like a jersey you'd see in the Peloton in Tour de France! Anywho........................................

............Guentzel would be a good get for sure. However I think we should wait and see where we're at come deadline. To me it's too early to go after someone of his ilk. As mentioned in here; there's a monumental cost to get him and though we'd like him, a rental player is not what we need at this point, or at all this season!

I don't know what PA has up his sleeve; I think it better to give up a mid to late draft pick for someone cheaper. Kinda' like the Lafferty one. That is, if there's anyone available as such.

All good points.  If we're eyeing JG, it would likely be a trade deadline acquisition since both Vancouver and Pittsburgh would need to see where they stand at the deadline. For all we know, Pittsburgh finds its groove and becomes a playoff calibre team. We've seen Edmonton do a 180 as of late and Pittsburgh definitely has the talent to do the same. 

My other thought is this.  Is it really another scoring forward that we need or would the Canucks be better off getting a #2A/#3 calibre defenseman?   I feel like we are still missing that calibre defenseman. Allow me to explain:

#1: Hughes

#2: Hronek

#3: ???

#4: Zadorov

#5 Cole/Soucy

#5A/6 Myers

#6A/7 Juulsen

In other words, I still think there is a significant drop off between Hronek and our 3rd best defenseman.........which could ultimately spell trouble if one of Hughes or Hronek goes down with injury.   Perhaps it would be better to take a calculated gamble on Kuzmenko getting out of his slump, while moving Myers and a draft pick for that #3 calibre guy.

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

All good points.  If we're eyeing JG, it would likely be a trade deadline acquisition since both Vancouver and Pittsburgh would need to see where they stand at the deadline. For all we know, Pittsburgh finds its groove and becomes a playoff calibre team. We've seen Edmonton do a 180 as of late and Pittsburgh definitely has the talent to do the same. 

My other thought is this.  Is it really another scoring forward that we need or would the Canucks be better off getting a #2A/#3 calibre defenseman?   I feel like we are still missing that calibre defenseman. Allow me to explain:

#1: Hughes

#2: Hronek

#3: ???

#4: Zadorov

#5 Cole/Soucy

#5A/6 Myers

#6A/7 Juulsen

In other words, I still think there is a significant drop off between Hronek and our 3rd best defenseman.........which could ultimately spell trouble if one of Hughes or Hronek goes down with injury.   Perhaps it would be better to take a calculated gamble on Kuzmenko getting out of his slump, while moving Myers and a draft pick for that #3 calibre guy.

Totally agree. We've proved thus far that our offence is not a problem. There's glitches, yes. No denying that, but all in all our O is fine. If we shore up our D ( As mentioned above.); it's my belief that it will help us more to clinch a playoff and exude damage in such. That's a better message than trying to contend for a cup now!

Go Canucks Go!!!

• Like 1

I seem to recall a couple of other high flying penguins (Brown and Stevens) who crashed to earth after leaving the wings of a great (some say the greatest) setup man...what happen to Jake with no Sid? Is it really worth cashing out our future and possibly ending up with a bust? I know...nothing ventured, nothing gained...BUT...is our team really in that desperate a need this year? We will need those cheaper contracts next year if we're to stay competitive, so why give up an ELC and a reasonable contract (under 2mil) to potentially re-sign a player to 8+mil? Sorry sports fans, but this would make no sense...UNLESS...the management team already knows Petey is out the door.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The "right" type of addition, but a few things:

1.  The team previously indicated it didn't think/want to move the 1st.  Does that now change?
2.  If you bring him in, can you afford to re-sign him?  Furthermore, if you can maneuver things to re-sign him, is it sensible to commit to the long-term deal he'll want/could get from UFA?

If he was 25/26, I'd be fine to move whatever assets to bring him/retain him, but he's 29.  We'll need to be careful with this one.

• Cheers 1

I don't see us doing this as a rental, and I don't see how we can make him fit with signing him to term, unless...

Kuz, Big Z (if he wants too much), and a prospect with a sign and trade?

Guentzel - Petey - Mik

Hogs - Miller - Brock

Joshua - Blue - Garland

Aman - Suter - Laff

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Cole - Juulsen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuzy + Hogs for The real shot gun Jake Guentzel + 3rd

if I’m Pit I cannot turn that down 

I personally think hoglander breaks out this or next year 

cap balances well abd leaves room to resign 

but then we will have a ton of UFAs

• Like 1

Just now, canucks curse said:

Kuzy + Hogs for The real shot gun Jake Guentzel + 3rd

if I’m Pit I cannot turn that down 

I personally think hoglander breaks out this or next year 

cap balances well abd leaves room to resign 

but then we will have a ton of UFAs

Over pay ?

kuzy + Karlsson+ Mcdonaugh ?

There doesn't seem to be any doubt the Canucks are looking for a winger for the Miller line. Reality check... even Petey's wingers are under performing.

As for Guentzel, I don't watch the Penguins games much, he is a smaller player... can he play the game Toch wants?

Payroll will be an issue...

Probably one of the most costly mistakes we made was buying out OEL, say what you will but 2.4 next year and then two years at 4.7 in dead cap. The timing blows

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

As great of an offensive contributor Guenztel would be, he just doesn't fit the Canucks' future. 

Can't be giving up future assets for a guy we'll have a hard time fitting under our cap. OEL buyout kicking in, re-signing Petey, impending salary raises for some of our bottom-6, etc...

I'd say our top-6 is fine. Just need one more legit, top-4 D, and I'm hoping that comes from within the Canucks' prospect system. 

Bingo! The Zadorov trade (assuming he resigns) solidified the left side of our defense. We simply need a decent place holder until Petterson or Willander are ready. As such, we will see another Cole/Myers/?? signing in FA to fill that #2 RHD void.

Ditto on offense, though it would be great to get a player like Guentztel if the price is right. He would simply move Mik down the lineup which is 100% fine; the guy is a swiss army knife all over the lineup with his speed and work ethic. And you would have to assume Kuzmenko was going back, so there would already be a spot, so as to not hamper Podz/Baines/Lekkermaki's dev.

• Like 1

Dhali can probably mention any name in the NHL linked to the Canucks and suddenly everyone believes a trade is happening. To his credit, though, Dhali is usually right about things.

Guentzel would be great to have on the Canucks, but at what cost? Is he the missing link? I'm not sure. 

I'd offer Kuzmenko, McDonough and a 2nd (2025).  PIT would likely decline, and that would be fine.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1