Brendan Leipsic Gets Russian Citizenship

54 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Apparently he applied for it back in the summer of 2023 and it was granted today…

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-boxer-johnson-canadian-ice-hockey-player-leipsic-get-russian-citizenship-2024-01-09/

The Vancouver media initially anointed Brendan Leipsic the Canucks' version of Brad Marchand during the Boston Bruins penis fetish era of 2011-2017.

38 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Be curious to know what his reasoning is here. Seems a pretty boneheaded move to me.

Plays for CSKA Moscow- likely has arranged for Brendan to not get drafted/conscripted- as the team is owned by an oil company that is basically owned by the government.

Russia gets a tiny 'publicity' coup- and the team gets to use another 'foreign' player on their roster

Russian teams can sign no more than 5 foreigners- according to wiki- so they just gained another opening.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Plays for CSKA Moscow- likely has arranged for Brendan to not get drafted/conscripted- as the team is owned by an oil company that is basically owned by the government.

Russia gets a tiny 'publicity' coup- and the team gets to use another 'foreign' player on their roster

Russian teams can sign no more than 5 foreigners- according to wiki- so they just gained another opening.

Most likely, but only until a change of heart. Just look at the case of Ivan Fedotov when he wanted to leave for NHL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

That works for the team and country, but what does he get out of it? Maybe an increase on salary? An increased shot at a championship seems lacking to me.

Putting aside Putin being in charge, and the BS war he instigated, I can't imagine someone from NA choosing Russian citizenship in the first place. It's obviously worse to do that now. And I'm more appreciative of Russian history than the average person (was gonna say "bear" there, but felt that was a little too far :classic_laugh:)

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

That works for the team and country, but what does he get out of it? Maybe an increase on salary? An increased shot at a championship seems lacking to me.

Putting aside Putin being in charge, and the BS war he instigated, I can't imagine someone from NA choosing Russian citizenship in the first place. It's obviously worse to do that now. And I'm more appreciative of Russian history than the average person (was gonna say "bear" there, but felt that was a little too far :classic_laugh:)

I can't imagine someone from NA voluntarily working there when they have other options, let alone taking citizenship.  Imagine how ashamed his family must be to be related to this piece of shit.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I can't imagine someone from NA voluntarily working there when they have other options, let alone taking citizenship.  Imagine how ashamed his family must be to be related to this piece of shit.

Did he have much in the way of other options?  I have no idea, but it's not like he was awesome in the NHL.

I wouldn't think the family is too impressed, no.