[Signing] Ottawa Senators sign Shane Pinto, 1-year $775,000

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Setting up for a trade? Or is Pinto just betting on himself? 

After being suspended for 40 games he doesn't have much time to showcase his game. Probably forced his hand. This season was already going to be a show me season, now he only has a little under half a season to prove last year wasn't an anomaly.

10 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Setting up for a trade? Or is Pinto just betting on himself? 

6 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

After being suspended for 40 games he doesn't have much time to showcase his game. Probably forced his hand. This season was already going to be a show me season, now he only has a little under half a season to prove last year wasn't an anomaly.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I know it was never gonna happen, but wonder how he'd fit in with the Canucks. Guaranteed low cap, upside potential, young, right handed 2C - a position we're looking to fill.

Worth entertaining the thought… don’t know that there’s anything there though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

They gave Sanderson 8 mil... this guy is gonna make bank for no reason as well 🤣

I'm not so sure, as an RFA forward who will be coming into the season cold and who has a season of 20 goals and 35 points to his name it's not like he has much leverage. If he tears it up over the second half of the season it could help him earn more, but I'm not really expecting that. 

Longer term doesn't have to be 6-8, it just has to be longer than a single season deal. I figure it'll probably land in the 3-4 year range, Pinto still has a lot to prove as a young player with a limited track record and a 3-4 year deal gives him a chance to get paid much more handsomely in his later 20's if he can build on his 20 goal season. 

He turned 23 in November, 3-4 years would take him to 26-27. 

Sometimes it's worth the gamble, it worked out with Stutzle, but Pinto hasn't shown nearly as much. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I know it was never gonna happen, but wonder how he'd fit in with the Canucks. Guaranteed low cap, upside potential, young, right handed 2C - a position we're looking to fill.

My mind was drifting in the same direction. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not so sure, as an RFA forward who will be coming into the season cold and who has a season of 20 goals and 35 points to his name it's not like he has much leverage. If he tears it up over the second half of the season it could help him earn more, but I'm not really expecting that. 

Longer term doesn't have to be 6-8, it just has to be longer than a single season deal. I figure it'll probably land in the 3-4 year range, Pinto still has a lot to prove as a young player with a limited track record and a 3-4 year deal gives him a chance to get paid much more handsomely in his later 20's if he can build on his 20 goal season. 

He turned 23 in November, 3-4 years would take him to 26-27. 

Sometimes it's worth the gamble, it worked out with Stutzle, but Pinto hasn't shown nearly as much. 

Like I said, they committed 64 million to Jake Sanderson, who's average at best. RFAs in Ottawa are licking their lips because the precedent that's been set is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Like I said, they committed 64 million to Jake Sanderson, who's average at best. RFAs in Ottawa are licking their lips because the precedent that's been set is ridiculous. 

Except Sanderson is a D for one, and has gone on to have a solid season despite Ottawa's struggles.

Averaging 23:11 a night, 23 points in 40 games which puts him on pace to break 40 points. 

His putting up 32 points as a rookie D is more much impressive than Pinto's putting up 35 as a young forward. 

Was it too much too soon for Sanderson? I wouldn't have given him that deal after a single season. But he looks like a top 4D at 21. 

Sanderson's pedigree is also different, 50A pick in 2020 vs 32OA in 2019.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Except Sanderson is a D for one, and has gone on to have a solid season despite Ottawa's struggles.

Averaging 23:11 a night, 23 points in 40 games which puts him on pace to break 40 points. 

His putting up 32 points as a rookie D is more much impressive than Pinto's putting up 35 as a young forward. 

Was it too much too soon for Sanderson? I wouldn't have given him that deal after a single season. But he looks like a top 4D at 21. 

Ottawa fans sure complain about Sandersons defensive game, I haven’t watched enough to have a fair judgement but he sure looked awful when we played them….. 

9 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Ottawa fans sure complain about Sandersons defensive game, I haven’t watched enough to have a fair judgement but he sure looked awful when we played them….. 

I'm not gonna present myself as an expert, but at a glance his numbers don't look too bad for such a young D 

I think a lot of what's going on in Ottawa stems from coaching and subpar goaltending, it's pretty clear Ottawa needs to change something but it's tough to place a finger on exactly what 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not gonna present myself as an expert, but at a glance his numbers don't look too bad for such a young D 

I think a lot of what's going on in Ottawa stems from coaching and subpar goaltending, it's pretty clear Ottawa needs to change something but it's tough to place a finger on exactly what 

Don't mortgage your futures before your rebuild is done

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Don't mortgage your futures before your rebuild is done

Trading futures for Chychrun while the team was total ass 🤣

So many people on here were saying they would overtake Toronto or Boston.

Scary for sure next year!

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Using points as a measure of how a player is doing in a system-less organization that has openly accepted sacrificing defense for offense for years is interesting, at best. Sanderson is average, and calling him a top 4 D is a stretch. He's playing big minutes on a bottom feeder, just like Weber was doing for us years back when we were a joke.

19 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Using points as a measure of how a player is doing in a system-less organization that has openly accepted sacrificing defense for offense for years is interesting, at best. Sanderson is average, and calling him a top 4 D is a stretch. He's playing big minutes on a bottom feeder, just like Weber was doing for us years back when we were a joke.

Points need to be taken with a grain of salt, absolutely, but like I said yesterday I reckon a good portion of Ottawa's struggles stem from coaching and goaltending 

Does defense contribute to both? Absolutely, but if the Sens can implement better systems and tweak the makeup of their defense a bit that'd probably solve some of their issues. Not all of them, they absolutely need to find a good coach to do just that, and at 71 that's likely not Jacques Martin 

They're also likely stuck with Korpisalo unless they can pay to swap him in an upgrade or simply pay to move on, but more than likely they'll see what a coach change can do first 

As of today the Sens are tied for 30th in goals allowed, they're 30th on the PK, and they're 30th in penalty minutes, their being undisciplined compounds the rest 

Their powerplay has also been lousy, sitting at 24th despite the Sens being 9th in goals, but one could probably chalk some of that up to them having missed Chabot most of the season, that likely reflects in their D stats as well 

It's a gamble, but a better bet than giving Pinto bigger dollars and term imo, at least Sanderson has top 5 pedigree

Even bottom feeders can have top 4D, Ottawa would really benefit from a D in the mold of Tanev though, Zub can't do it all 

Pulled these from reddit, posted three hours ago in the Sens sub so I'm assuming they're up to date

I probs don't read these as well as @Miss Korea but from what I can tell Ottawa needs to revamp their D and integrate more defensive D, which may be why they're rumoured to be taking calls on Chychrun, to mix things up

Hamonic also looks like an anchor, despite him historically being looked at as more of a defensive D 

One more year at 1.1M with a NMC, they'd probably be better off waiving him going forward 

Sanderson though, he had a good rookie season and despite Ottawa's collective struggles he's still young enough to be able to improve his overall game 

Spoiler

r/OttawaSenators - All 7 Senators defensemen player cards [Updated]

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Points need to be taken with a grain of salt, absolutely, but like I said yesterday I reckon a good portion of Ottawa's struggles stem from coaching and goaltending 

Does defense contribute to both? Absolutely, but if the Sens can implement better systems and tweak the makeup of their defense a bit that'd probably solve some of their issues. Not all of them, they absolutely need to find a good coach to do just that, and at 71 that's likely not Jacques Martin 

They're also likely stuck with Korpisalo unless they can pay to swap him in an upgrade or simply pay to move on, but more than likely they'll see what a coach change can do first 

As of today the Sens are tied for 30th in goals allowed, they're 30th on the PK, and they're 30th in penalty minutes, their being undisciplined compounds the rest 

Their powerplay has also been lousy, sitting at 24th despite the Sens being 9th in goals, but one could probably chalk some of that up to them having missed Chabot most of the season, that likely reflects in their D stats as well 

It's a gamble, but a better bet than giving Pinto bigger dollars and term imo, at least Sanderson has top 5 pedigree

Even bottom feeders can have top 4D, Ottawa would really benefit from a D in the mold of Tanev though, Zub can't do it all 

Pulled these from reddit, posted three hours ago in the Sens sub so I'm assuming they're up to date

I probs don't read these as well as @Miss Korea but from what I can tell Ottawa needs to revamp their D and integrate more defensive D, which may be why they're rumoured to be taking calls on Chychrun, to mix things up

Hamonic also looks like an anchor, despite him historically being looked at as more of a defensive D 

One more year at 1.1M with a NMC, they'd probably be better off waiving him going forward 

Sanderson though, he had a good rookie season and despite Ottawa's collective struggles he's still young enough to be able to improve his overall game 

Hide contents

I watched a solid half hour of these clips.  Gotta appreciate the dedication of Sens fans - they've been through a lot.  For someone to compile this is impressive.

• Cheers 1