[Signing] Flyers extend Tippet

Owen Tippet is generating tons of offence while stuck with centres like Sean Couturier and Mirgan Frost.  This team's scoring comes from their wingers, so if they can get a proper playmaker centre in the near future, the team will become even better.

• Cheers 2

Takes him to 32 years old.  On pace for 32 goals and 53 points this year.  I think if he develops more of his playmaking side, he'll be really good value in the long run.  30 to 35 goals a year and maybe 30 to 35 assists?  Puts him in the 60 to 70 point range.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yikes! Sure makes the Boeser contract look even better!!! 

I dunno, he seems to be continuing on a pace where this is market value.  If he makes another jump this could look really good in 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I dunno, he seems to be continuing on a pace where this is market value.  If he makes another jump this could look really good in 2 years.

Boeser's also due for a raise pretty quick

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He just needs help.  The team needs more help.  It cannot be understated how much Torts is getting out of this team with so little.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

He just needs help.  The team needs more help.  It cannot be understated how much Torts is getting out of this team with so little.

Yup, Torts is probably Tocchet's biggest competition for the Adams trophy this year.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That will be interesting. I don't want us paying him more than we are now... But maybe he just walks too as a ufa, that's fine too.

I think he'll get more but I also think his ask won't be outrageous, Brock strikes me as someone who'd genuinely want to stay so it's unlikely we'd get a better deal from a UFA top 6 winger

I think we keep him over Kuzmenko, even if I do think there's a good chance his goal scoring comes back down closer to his career average 

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think he'll get more but I also think his ask won't be outrageous, Brock strikes me as someone who'd genuinely want to stay so it's unlikely we'd get a better deal from a UFA top 6 winger

I think we keep him over Kuzmenko, even if I do think there's a good chance his goal scoring comes back down closer to his career average 

Thinking on $7-7.5M x 5-6 yr with for Brock.  Slight bump up from his current $6.65M.

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Boeser's also due for a raise pretty quick

We will see.    Going to need more than one 30 goal season to get one really.   Brock was paid like a UFA during his bridge deal too.   If anyone owes the club money, it's him. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Thinking on $7-7.5M x 5-6 yr with for Brock.  Slight bump up from his current $6.65M.

I could see it

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We will see.    Going to need more than one 30 goal season to get one really.   Brock was paid like a UFA during his bridge deal too.   If anyone owes the club money, it's him. 

Maybe, but that ain't generally how it goes with higher profile UFA's 

If he hit the market as a UFA there'd be lots of interest 

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I could see it

Maybe, but that ain't generally how it goes with higher profile UFA's 

If he hit the market as a UFA there'd be lots of interest 

This year he's back on the radar, but wouldn't go so far to say he's moved the needle much  past his current salary.    Too many years of barely getting 20.   At least this year, we can finally say (knock on wood) he's a 30 goal scorer.    Don't see why we should, or anyone else for that matter, pay double for ten more goals.    Brocks made himself a rich man, based on potential, and this is the first season he's paying some back.    Agree someone out there might do a Skinner  deal for that though.   Plus inflation. 

Edited by IBatch

34 minutes ago, BPA said:

Too much.   If he can score 30 again next year plus, then yes, that's right in the pocket for that sort of production.      You can find other guys out there to score 20-25 plus for a lot less.    At that price, we need him to score 30-30 for most of that deal ... possible for sure.    Still a fan, just think if anyone owes us a solid, it's him. 

Edited by IBatch

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

"You owe us a debt for the bad years"

Not the best negotiating tactic.  He's signing with Minnesota the next day.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This year he's back on the radar, but wouldn't go so far to say he's moved the needle much  past his current salary.    Too many years of barely getting 20.   At least this year, we can finally say (knock on wood) he's a 30 goal scorer.    Don't see why we should, or anyone else for that matter, pay double for ten more goals.    Brocks made himself a rich man, based on potential, and this is the first season he's paying some back.    Agree someone out there might do a Skinner  deal for that though.   Plus inflation. 

Players are frequently paid on what they've done recently, if he follows this season up with another 30 goal season or two you're probably looking at closer to 8

But yeah, with the cap rising the asking price for UFA top 6 wingers, or pending UFA top 6 wingers, probably goes up alongside it

Something in the mid 7's really wouldn't be much of a jump 

I don't expect players to pay things back, which isn't to say I don't think Brock wouldn't be more likely to play ball with the Canucks than other UFA wingers of similar caliber 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

"You owe us a debt for the bad years"

Not the best negotiating tactic.  He's signing with Minnesota the next day.

We will only be able to afford a raise for one of Kuzemenko or Brock anyways.   We've seen it go the other way in the past with Burrows.   Or keep one of them.   Brock was paid handsomely.      We've been paying him like a UFA since his ELC. 

Edited by IBatch

3 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Brock dont drive nothing with out miller and hughes, cant give him a raise

Players get paid based on results, and sometimes potential, not what if's

Top 6 players with skill produce with other high caliber players, that's not news

Guentzel has still be paid handsomely to play alongside Crosby for example, and given he's due for a raise, likely will be again

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 1