Rangers GM Drury taking calls on No 2 overall Kakko

So Kuzmenko and our first rounder make it on their board of best trade bait this year, at 9th and 11th respectively.   Also the only other first rounder is EDM's at 17th.    That means they are tracking EDM to pass us.     Those six points against EDM, at the start of the season are looking huge right now.   

Tanev at number two, to me anyways, makes his stock a tad too rich for us.    Marroon is the player on this list I hope we target.   Won't cost the farm, and would be a big counter to EDMs  dirty ways.     Good chance,  we will need to beat them to get out of the West.   Also would help against Vegas. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

Wonder if there's a way we can swap Kuz for Kakko?
On paper sounds like a good fit for Tocchet style and he's smart and adaptable, sounds like good qualities overall with decent size.

Rangers have the space with Chytil on LTIR if he stays that way until playoffs maybe Rangers take a shot?

We can save 3mil or so in cap and possibly sneak a better younger player?  Might not pan out but worth a shot potentially depending on what other options are out there...

• Vintage 4

10 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

On paper sounds like a good fit for Tocchet style and he's smart and adaptable, sounds like good qualities overall with decent size.

Rangers have the space with Chytil on LTIR if he stays that way until playoffs maybe Rangers take a shot?

We can save 3mil or so in cap and possibly sneak a better younger player?  Might not pan out but worth a shot potentially depending on what other options are out there...

If you can clear the cap and use it elsewhere... Heck might even be able to flip Kakko as part of the assets to get the player we actually want .

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

Rangers need a C 

I read another article somewhere that said they want a scoring winger and a 3C back for him.

Kuz missile is scoring better than Kaapo this year even with him being in a funk.  Add a pick so they can get a 3C elsewhere or something.

I can see a world in where this could work and Kaapo would definitely fit better in our system the more I read about him and there's a ton of potential there.

If they could swing this I think it would make our team better for sure, even if he doesn't score a lot he'll help our second line with possession and defensive metrics which would be an upgrade.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If I'm trading for underperforming players.  Broberg out of Edmonton is who I am looking at

Why not both?  He's not what we need right now though and while he would be a great pickup depending on the price we need to tweak our second line far more than add what is currently a 3rd pair LHD.

When looking at the Rangers lines, Kuzmenko could actually be a pretty good add for them.

A Panarin-Trochek-Kuzmenko line could be deadly.  Moves Lafreniere down to the 3rd line which gives the Rangers a lot more scoring depth.  The move would still leave them about $3M in cap space to add more at the TDL.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

When looking at the Rangers lines, Kuzmenko could actually be a pretty good add for them.

A Panarin-Trochek-Kuzmenko line could be deadly.  Moves Lafreniere down to the 3rd line which gives the Rangers a lot more scoring depth.  The move would still leave them about $3M in cap space to add more at the TDL.

I know right?  Kind of has a lot of sense to it.

If Kuz takes off at least it's on an east coast team that we already hate so no big deal.

Could be a good win-win like BoHo and NYI.  Everyone happy in the end.

4 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

I know right?  Kind of has a lot of sense to it.

If Kuz takes off at least it's on an east coast team that we already hate so no big deal.

Could be a good win-win like BoHo and NYI.  Everyone happy in the end.

NYR's Right Winger depth right now:

Wheeler

Lafreniere

Kaako

Pitlick

After acquiring Kuzmenko, Wheeler or Lafreniere could shuffle down to the 3rd line.  Either one would be a perfect fit in that role.

The Rangers would still have cap to find a 3C... maybe someone like Nic Dowd out of WAS, or Jake Evans out of MTL, Acciari out of PIT.  So many options when you're only looking for a 3C. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

NYR's Right Winger depth right now:

Wheeler

Lafreniere

Kaako

Pitlick

After acquiring Kuzmenko, Wheeler or Lafreniere could shuffle down to the 3rd line.  Either one would be a perfect fit in that role.

The Rangers would still have cap to find a 3C... maybe someone like Nic Dowd out of WAS, or Jake Evans out of MTL, Acciari out of PIT.  So many options when you're only looking for a 3C. 

I think it's going to be a deal with mtl where the ranges get Monahan and a pick back.

• Like 1

I hope Kakko would have more pull than that. but maybe not? His stats are pretty meh. One thing that stood out to me is he's gotta shoot the puck more he's got 5g on only 34 shots he's been carrying a 14.5ish shooting % for 2 seasons now. He manages to draw quite a few penalties which I always look at as a really good indicator of engagement. last year he drew 28 mins for his team while only taking 8. I dunno though I'm grasping straws his stats aren't very compelling 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think it's going to be a deal with mtl where the ranges get Monahan and a pick back.

They could add Kuzmenko and Monahan if they play their cards right with Kaako and some picks going out the door.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

So Kuzmenko and our first rounder make it on their board of best trade bait this year, at 9th and 11th respectively.   Also the only other first rounder is EDM's at 17th.    That means they are tracking EDM to pass us.     Those six points against EDM, at the start of the season are looking huge right now.   

Tanev at number two, to me anyways, makes his stock a tad too rich for us.    Marroon is the player on this list I hope we target.   Won't cost the farm, and would be a big counter to EDMs  dirty ways.     Good chance,  we will need to beat them to get out of the West.   Also would help against Vegas. 

I think it will be a Western Stanley Cup winner this year and we are looking good so far (and so quickly our team mindset has as well)

• Upvote 1