Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W

9 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Problem with that is what Lindstrom will get on the open market.  Something in the Miller/Horvat range and we cannot afford that and build a team that is balanced.  

As AJ's already mentioned, what you've stated is highly unlikely.

• Upvote 1

Lindy's potential is far greater than what his performance has shown this season.  He is still a

valuable player for his current salary, even though his offensive talents have disappeared.

At this point, we have no idea if this season is a one-off, or is he starting a permanent downward

trend.  My guess it is the former.

His future contract will be decided on his playoff performances: as it is, his salary goes up if

he ups his game; or remains the same if his 'slump' continues.

Still, I think he would be a valuable player for the Canucks: 5mx2yrs but, given the team cap,

I don't know how the management makes room for him.

• Thanks 1

I’m just glad this wasn’t a trade ‘n sign. Where Lindholm had accepted the trade on the contingent that Canucks sign him right away to like a 8x8 deal. 

we’ll see just what Lindholm has in the tank this playoffs. 
It’s actually an advantage for JR and Allvin to be able to evaluate the 4 UFAs to see which ones fade and which ones shine in the post season. Before making decisions on who stays and who goes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

My guess is he will end up in Boston which will suit his strengths. 

You expect him to get a large contract of 8 million and now you expect him to be signed to Boston who are unlikely to even have to cap to afford 8 million?

I wasn't going to reply initially, but I would advise you to maybe think through with your thoughts more. You're missing a lot of vital logic in all of this such as him being on a down season and Boston not having money.

But you do you in the end I guess... predictions are just predictions after all no matter how silly those predictions may be.

Edited by The Lock

Lindholm needed to show the Canucks plenty more if he wanted to come anywhere near an eight million a year contract. There's a few games left, then the playoffs,

hopefully long playoffs, but 8?  Haven't seen that kind of value. Sorry. I know; the injuries but, man, that seems like too much money and no doubt term.

We don't need to be handing out retirement contracts like we did Miller cause he aint Miller, not even close..

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

My guess is he will end up in Boston which will suit his strengths. 

I think Lindholm will be Boston's #1 free agent target.  They have almost $22 million in cap space with 17 players signed, so they could pay him an 8x8 contract and make Lindholm their 1C to play with Pastrnak...

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

You expect him to get a large contract of 8 million and now you expect him to be signed to Boston who are unlikely to even have to cap to afford 8 million?

I wasn't going to reply initially, but I would advise you to maybe think through with your thoughts more. You're missing a lot of vital logic in all of this such as him being on a down season and Boston not having money.

But you do you in the end I guess... predictions are just predictions after all no matter how silly those predictions may be.

boston have plenty of cap space to afford 8mil.. they literally have 22mil with 17 signed.. with no one of significant needing to re-sign other than swayman but they are guaranteed to move ullmark

12 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Lindholm needed to show the Canucks plenty more if he wanted to come anywhere near an eight million a year contract. There's a few games left, then the playoffs,

hopefully long playoffs, but 8?  Haven't seen that kind of value. Sorry. I know; the injuries but, man, that seems like too much money and no doubt term.

We don't need to be handing out retirement contracts like we did Miller cause he aint Miller, not even close..

He is the master of his own destiny (contract). He will have to make a real splash in the playoffs to even hope to get an eight mil contract with term IMO and it will not be with the Canucks if he is asking that much.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

“My main goal here is to win the Stanley Cup,” Lindholm told Sportsnet after the Canucks practised at the Kings’ training facility in El Segundo. “Whether that is me putting up zero points or putting up (many), I don't even care, honestly. But I want to be helping the team in the right way. And I think I can help this team by playing my best hockey and help this team take the next step and have a good run in the playoffs.

“Going into the last year of your contract and I'm a UFA after this season, obviously I put a lot of pressure — even before the season started — on myself. I wanted to produce and be the best version of myself and, obviously, it hasn't really worked out. That's just the way it has been. But then the trade happened and I was excited to be here and be part of this group, and hopefully I can play my best hockey in the playoffs and show the real me.”

The real Lindholm is one of the premier two-way centres in the NHL, a Selke Trophy runner-up two seasons ago who scored at a 31-goal, 72-point pace over 82 games during the last five years in Calgary.

The real Lindholm is “a guy who will do anything to win and help the team,” Canuck defenceman Nikita Zadorov said. A teammate of Lindholm in Calgary, Zadorov previously compared the centre to Selke legend Patrice Bergeron and said the Flames would not have beaten the Dallas Stars in the playoffs two years ago without Lindholm.

On Friday, Lindholm took turns with a couple of lines during drills. Coach Rick Tocchet has made it clear he believes the Canucks’ strongest lineup is built around a spine of J.T. Miller, Elias Pettersson, Lindholm and Teddy Blueger down the middle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hope these playoffs have improved his relations with the club. A conference final appearance might just make him forget. He would be a nice add to our top six. I would be open to extending him if he can bring can his AAV ask to closer to 7m. If we could get that done I think we would be a good fit. I would let Joshua walk and keep Lindholm IMO. We have podz who can play a similar style to Joshua. I think last night showed us we don't need mikheyev or his speed. The kids will be pushing for jobs this training camp.

Edited by Rush
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rush said:

I hope these playoffs have improved his relations with the club. A conference final appearance might just make him forget. He would be a nice add to our top six. I would be open to extending him if he can bring can his AAV ask to closer to 7m. If we could get that done I think we would be a good fit. I would let Joshua walk and keep Lindholm IMO. We have podz who can play a similar style to Joshua. I think last night showed us we don't need mikheyev or his speed. The kids will be pushing for jobs this training camp.

Bains is a pretty quick dude and seems to play a pretty physical game...Joshua is definitely better at this point but the cost may be prohibitive. Lek is going to be pushing for a spot too; between those two guys there's some level of replacement to Joshua and Mik (if we can ditch him). 

Just now, Dizzle said:

Bains is a pretty quick dude and seems to play a pretty physical game...Joshua is definitely better at this point but the cost may be prohibitive. Lek is going to be pushing for a spot too; between those two guys there's some level of replacement to Joshua and Mik (if we can ditch him). 

Yeah I expect Ratty has a strong camp too.

1 hour ago, Rush said:

Won't need to see Joshua or Lindholm walk.

I've projected numbers with these massive pay days for our main guys, and we'll be fine assuming Mikheyev is traded for a bag of pucks.

Lindholm - $7.5M

Hronek - $7.25M

Zadorov - $5.75M

Joshua - $3.8M

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Won't need to see Joshua or Lindholm walk.

I've projected numbers with these massive pay days for our main guys, and we'll be fine assuming Mikheyev is traded for a bag of pucks.

Lindholm - $7.5M

Hronek - $7.25M

Zadorov - $5.75M

Joshua - $3.8M

We still need 1 more scoring forward. Unless they are letting hoglander just take the job.. or they are hoping for Lekk. 

I'd like to take a run at Guentzel. 

5 minutes ago, Rush said:

We still need 1 more scoring forward. Unless they are letting hoglander just take the job.. or they are hoping for Lekk. 

I'd like to take a run at Guentzel. 

There's no way we can afford that many top 6 forwards without sacrificing elsewhere (defence).  If we want that, we're better off waiting til the TDL next year for a rental at 50% or 25%.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

There's no way we can afford that many top 6 forwards without sacrificing elsewhere (defence).  If we want that, we're better off waiting til the TDL next year for a rental at 50% or 25%.

I'm feeling like there is a 10-15% chance Lindholm re-signs.  I guess it depends if the taste of deep playoff action changes his preference for opportunity over money. Can we compensate him enough to offset the discount with a strong team future?

12 minutes ago, Rush said:

I'm feeling like there is a 10-15% chance Lindholm re-signs.  I guess it depends if the taste of deep playoff action changes his preference for opportunity over money. Can we compensate him enough to offset the discount with a strong team future?

That's what I'm hoping.  If we manage to get into the next round, I'm betting Lindholm would want to stay and take slightly less to do so.  Especially if we guarantee him the role of 2C.  Here's hoping it all comes together!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's what I'm hoping.  If we manage to get into the next round, I'm betting Lindholm would want to stay and take slightly less to do so.  Especially if we guarantee him the role of 2C.  Here's hoping it all comes together!

Hopefully he doesn't want to be a 1C in Boston or WSH.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

How do we guarantee him 2 c? You thinking petey on his wing?

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yup.  I think Petey on the wing where he has been his entire career before coming to Vancouver.  I think we'll get the most out of him there.

Yeah, Petey is capable of playing C when they need it. It's good to have a C option. We paid him like a C but he can still function as one on his strong side. 

He's better then Marner. I don't see an issue fundamentally with it. Might cause the media to complain but if you're winning what does it matter?

Edited by Rush
  • Like 1