What to do with Mikheyev? Where does he fit?

Tocchet likes the way he plays, but imo he needs to produce more for what he's getting paid, and he's injury prone. I want to give him 5-10 games to see if he can produce with the two Elias' first. If he can't he's dead weight and we can go after someone that can produce or make room for Petey and Lindholm to do their thing. Greenway? Maroon? Thoughts? Who should we go after if Mik doesn't cut it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Mikheyev is definitely not deadweight.  He is an excellent two-way forward whose checking ability has been utilized in both even strength situations and on the penalty kill.  He is so reliable you often see him feature in that 2nd PP unit (that gets 20 seconds of icetime before going off).

I can't say specifically which line Mik belongs on, but I can say with certainty that he belongs on a team coached by Rick Tocchet.  He is exactly the type of player Tocchet likes and that's why he's been getting so much playing time.  For what it's worth, he's scored at a similar clip from last year, despite having recovered from ACL reconstruction surgery and missed all of training camp.  I also don't think he's missed a single game since his return.

image.png.3a1caba74c0b0b0ee7bd238104101cb1.png

He has definitely lost a step since injury and has been cold lately. 

It might take a while for him to find his legs again since he went straight from injury to play, no time to fully get back to 100%. 

If we re-sign Lindholm, I wouldn’t mind going after Toffoli since he has chemistry with Lindholm/Petey even if we have to move Mik to do it. Could save some cap with Toffoli too. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He has definitely lost a step since injury and has been cold lately. 

It might take a while for him to find his legs again since he went straight from injury to play, no time to fully get back to 100%. 

If we re-sign Lindholm, I wouldn’t mind going after Toffoli since he has chemistry with Lindholm/Petey even if we have to move Mik to do it. Could save some cap with Toffoli too. 

Mikheyev has struggled to score but his defensive presence cannot be overlooked. 

Tyler Toffoli as a Canuck?  Hmm... A few things to consider.

1) Toffoli did play a full season with Lindholm as a linemate but it was not as effective of a partnership for Lindholm as with Gaudreau/Tkachuk.  

2) You won't save much by replacing Mik with Tofu.  You can't lowball a guy like him.  Toffolli would just re-sign with Jersey or find a team willing to pay him more.  

3) You want to deal Mik?  He has the same Limited NTC like Kuzy.  Things could've ended real quickly today had he stuck to his list and not waived.  He got traded to Vancouver and Calgary.  He is a Scarboruugb native and likely to enjoy staying in the East.

4) Bring back Tanev and it's the bubble squad all over again!  How comical.

• Cheers 1

Gonna be fun with the lines.  Mik and all.  

Petey Miller Boeser

Hoggy Lindstrom Mik

Or

Miller Lindstrom Boeser

Hoggy Petey Mik

Or 

Lafferty Lindstrom Petey

Mik Miller Boeser

Mix in PDG at some point.  Maybe try Garly or Joshua up there.  We did lose a winger.

There's so many options open for RT to work with. 

- Ya' keep the Lotto line together and there's some proven wingers that can play up and down with Lindy.

- Break up the Lotto line and Petey with Lindy and?!?!?!?? Ilya? Hogz? Suter?

- Same with JTM and Flow. Hogz? Suter?.......?!?!?!?!?!??!?

I'm crazy excited for games to resume post All star Weekend. Obviously in particular our new look Canucks.

Perhaps Podz and Bains get a look. Maybe not but who knows.

Let's go already!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Gonna be fun with the lines.  Mik and all.  

Petey Miller Boeser

Hoggy Lindstrom Mik

Or

Miller Lindstrom Boeser

Hoggy Petey Mik

Or 

Lafferty Lindstrom Petey

Mik Miller Boeser

Mix in PDG at some point.  Maybe try Garly or Joshua up there.  We did lose a winger.

wait, who is Lindstrom?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Mikheyev is definitely not deadweight.  He is an excellent two-way forward whose checking ability has been utilized in both even strength situations and on the penalty kill.  He is so reliable you often see him feature in that 2nd PP unit (that gets 20 seconds of icetime before going off).

I can't say specifically which line Mik belongs on, but I can say with certainty that he belongs on a team coached by Rick Tocchet.  He is exactly the type of player Tocchet likes and that's why he's been getting so much playing time.  For what it's worth, he's scored at a similar clip from last year, despite having recovered from ACL reconstruction surgery and missed all of training camp.  I also don't think he's missed a single game since his return.

image.png.3a1caba74c0b0b0ee7bd238104101cb1.png

^^this. People don't seem to realize what he brings. 

• Cheers 1

I'd certainly like to see Mik producing more, and the injuries are an issue, but he's fantastic defensively and pretty much all of his production is even strength. Him with Petey and Lindholm will be an excellent line defensively. 

That said, I'm certainly open to moving him for the right guy. He's certainly underperformed this year, but he's not "dead weight".

• Cheers 1

I've been discussing this in depth and til I'm blue in the face... but Mikheyev or Garland will need to be traded this offseason if we plan on keeping Lindholm.  It's simple math. 

I'm in the keep Garland keep.  Others are in the keep Mikheyev camp. 

If Lindholm walks, both can stay.

• Upvote 1

He hasn't blown anyone away but he's been solid defensively and on the forecheck and PK. I think his time will come in the playoffs when he's asked to throw his big frame around a bit more. He'll probably play a lot with Lindholm so hope they generate some chemistry.

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

I've been discussing this in depth and til I'm blue in the face... but Mikheyev or Garland will need to be traded this offseason if we plan on keeping Lindholm.  It's simple math. 

I'm in the keep Garland keep.  Others are in the keep Mikheyev camp. 

If Lindholm walks, both can stay.

In the keep Garland camp too.   We can find a bottom six guy to replace his PK duties, we have Hogs, Podz, Lekkermaki and Linus Karlsson pushing for the remaining spots in the top six.   Plus guys like Lafferty and PDG have managed for periods of time too.     Lindholm waived to come here...sure hope it works out. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Despite wanting a bit more production out of him I have zero concerns with Mikheyev he does so much right defensively I rarely find myself frustrated with him. 

Yep.   Best case, he just becomes a cap casually in the off season, because we've made a deal with Lindholm and EP.   Our main cup window with this core, is QHs current deal.   Best to maximize that. 

• Cheers 1