[Rumour] Flyers taking calls on Laughton

38 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Always like his game, doubt we can make this trade, but man, what an add that would be. 

We actually don't really need him anymore.  We're overloaded down the middle now.  If anything, we could use a top 6 winger now that Kuzmenko is gone.  A cheap winger in the form of Sprong, or Carcone would work.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

We actually don't really need him anymore.  We're overloaded down the middle now.  If anything, we could use a top 6 winger now that Kuzmenko is gone.  A cheap winger in the form of Sprong, or Carcone would work.

Need a big body winger.

Centers can always swap to wing, but I’m guessing the ask for him would be too much.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

The price we paid was perfectly fine.

A bunch of quantity and we preserved our quality.  That is a huge win.  

Aside from Kuzmenko, it is more likely that they never even see an NHL player out of that package than any of those prices turn into something significant.

The price we paid was fine. I meant now people are going to have to overpay for centers like Monahan or Henrique. their price went up from a second rounder to a first plus

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Mikheyev and next years 1st for this man. We'll throw in Kudryavtsev. We need a new Kuzy and a 1st to throw at everyone :hurhur:

You may be joking, but I seriously think using Kudryavtsev to upgrade Mik into a more offensive player is exactly what we should do if we can.

What is Philly supposed to do here?  Like us, they would've considered a wild card spot a massive success.  But now they've lost one of the better goalies in the league.  So... take the L they expected and continue the rebuild? 

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

What is Philly supposed to do here?  Like us, they would've considered a wild card spot a massive success.  But now they've lost one of the better goalies in the league.  So... take the L they expected and continue the rebuild? 

I think they're probably still retooling, I wouldn't be surprise if their team success has caught management a bit off guard. 

Losing Hart is a big loss, no bones about it, despite their having a seemingly capable tender in Ersson. 

Flyers are 5-5-0 in their last ten, with the last 5 being losses. 

They've also tumbled to the eighth seed but several teams are on their tail.

Flyers have 56 points in 50GP.

Islanders have 52 in 49GP.

Pens are arguably the biggest threat, with 51 in 46. Four games could be a large swing.

Devils have 51 points in 47, they can't be counted out either. Particularly once Hughes is back. 

Washington is a bit of a surprise, but they've been plucky defensively at have 41 points in 47 games as well. 

I wouldn't expect anything drastic from Philly, but moving Laughton isn't drastic. He's got two seasons left at a 3M cap hit, if a team gets desperate they'd be smart to take a high price for him. 

Flyers are in a good place capwise, not too many longer term deals. The next one will probably be Konecny, and he'll just cannibalize some of Atkinson's deal as they expire the same offseason. 

Trading Laughton and Walker could help their retool. If they don't see themselves making the playoffs it might be smart to cash in, looks like it could be a sellers market this go round. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Need a big body winger.

Centers can always swap to wing, but I’m guessing the ask for him would be too much.

Price is way too much.  We'd be paying a premium for another centre when we just need a winger...

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Price is way too much.  We'd be paying a premium for another centre when we just need a winger...

Agreed. I think we're more than okay at centre. Especially after acquiring Lindholm. A big ass winger would be great; Greenway, Crouse......I dunno. I'm just rappin' off names mentioned in CFF. 

Honestly, a top grade winger or a top grade D man aren't totally necessary. I mean it'd be awesome, but I don't think we have enough assets and cap to accommodate such. And we don't wanna give up any of Leks, Willander, Podz, Hogz  either.

A Zach Bogosian type Dman and a big winger who've been in Stanley Cup playoff battles could be all that's needed at this point. A couple of cheaper options who could boost it up a notch. Kinda' like what Higgins, Lapierre, Rome, Alberts did for us in 2011. Same schtick!

It's likely management has something brewing. Could be another mindblower. Nothing surprises me with JR/PA at the helm.

21 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

The price we paid was fine. I meant now people are going to have to overpay for centers like Monahan or Henrique. their price went up from a second rounder to a first plus

Yeah, thats why I love the idea of moving early.

A)more time to gel as a team

B) if things really go sideways you can always trade them off again and recoup something

C) Sets the tone for the rest of the market. If you overpay, unless its by a lot, it sets the prices the rest of the way and forces competitors to also overpay. 

D) drives prices up for others because its thins out the market and makes them reactionary to not miss out. I don't think Monohan is worth a 1st, not a terrible price but slight overpay they were probably hesitant about until a Western Conference competitor loaded up with the best center on the market, which happens to be the Jets biggest weakness. Now anyone looking for a center is going to overpay for someone not that good.  

• Upvote 1

Don't know if I would understand Philly trading away such an important piece when they're still in a playoff spot. I guess if they receive another impact player back along with other assets then it could work, but is Laughton really that expendable?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Don't know if I would understand Philly trading away such an important piece when they're still in a playoff spot. I guess if they receive another impact player back along with other assets then it could work, but is Laughton really that expendable?

I agree. I think it only makes sense if Philly receives an offer that completely blows them away or if they go on a losing streak in February and fall out of a playoff spot. Laughton has been one of the best 3Cs in the league for a few years now and, while not a complete steal, at $3M is pretty good value for what he brings. He's also a strong leader and a major part of Philly's leadership group.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

Agree 

does a late 1st really help them … no 

On 2/1/2024 at 3:18 PM, HKSR said:

We had Carcone and let him go

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1