How many NHL Awards will the Vancouver Canucks win in 2023-2024?

Hart Memorial Trophy:

Quinn Hughes

James Norris Memorial Trophy:

Quinn Hughes

Frank J. Selke Trophy:

Elias Pettersson

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy:

Elias Pettersson

Vezina Trophy:

Thatcher Demko

William M. Jennings Trophy:

Thatcher Demko

Casey DeSmith

Jack Adams Award:

Rick Tocchet

Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award:

Patrik Allvin

Conn Smythe Trophy:

Quinn Hughes

Elias Pettersson

JT Miller

Thatcher Demko

Presidents' Trophy:

Vancouver Canucks

Clarence S. Campbell Bowl:

Vancouver Canucks

Stanley Cup:

Vancouver Canucks

These are the awards we have a shot at winning this year.  Some are individual awards and some are team awards.  There are 12 awards in total that we have a shot at winning.

My prediction:

We will win 10 total awards:

Norris - Hughes

Lady Byng - Pettersson

Vezina - Demko

William Jennings - Demko/DeSmith

Jack Adams - Tocchet

Jim Gregory - Allvin

Conn Smythe - Hughes

President's - Vancouver

Clarence Campbell - Vancouver

Stanley Cup - Vancouver

How many awards do you think Vancouver will win this year?

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The way you're spinning this, the better question would be to just ask which awards you think the Canucks won't win.  I assume Art Ross, Rocket, and Calder?

And the Selke. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hart Memorial Trophy:

Quinn Hughes

James Norris Memorial Trophy:

Quinn Hughes

Frank J. Selke Trophy:

Elias Pettersson

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy:

Elias Pettersson

Vezina Trophy:

Thatcher Demko

William M. Jennings Trophy:

Thatcher Demko

Casey DeSmith

Jack Adams Award:

Rick Tocchet

Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award:

Patrik Allvin

Conn Smythe Trophy:

Quinn Hughes

Elias Pettersson

JT Miller

Thatcher Demko

Presidents' Trophy:

Vancouver Canucks

Clarence S. Campbell Bowl:

Vancouver Canucks

Stanley Cup:

Vancouver Canucks

These are the awards we have a shot at winning this year.  Some are individual awards and some are team awards.  There are 12 awards in total that we have a shot at winning.

My prediction:

We will win 10 total awards:

Norris - Hughes

Lady Byng - Pettersson

Vezina - Demko

William Jennings - Demko/DeSmith

Jack Adams - Tocchet

Jim Gregory - Allvin

Conn Smythe - Hughes

President's - Vancouver

Clarence Campbell - Vancouver

Stanley Cup - Vancouver

How many awards do you think Vancouver will win this year?

Locks:

Byng

Adams

Gregory

Likely 

Norris  

Presidents Trophy

Jennings 

Maybe

Hart

Vezina (Hellebuyck) 

Campbell

Stanley Cup

Conn Smythe 

My guess is 7-8.     A massive haul.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The way you're spinning this, the better question would be to just ask which awards you think the Canucks won't win.  I assume Art Ross, Rocket, and Calder?

Pretty much, yeah.  And the Ted Lindsay...

Oh, and who can forget the Mark Messier Award.  Wouldn't it be fitting if someone from Vancouver won that this year after we win the Cup?  Maybe JT Miller?  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

Alright Alright..You my homie Pette but let's hold our horses..Lot's of hockey left and let's not get too cocky. We will see closer to time. Anything can happen especially after the TDL..Look at Edm, Almost set a record. Sure their coach deserves a look.

• Cheers 1

There's definitely a good chance that the Canucks could walk away with a decent amount of hardware this year, but I'm not so sure they're outright favorites for any just yet.

Hughes could end up a Hart finalist but this is likely this year MacKinnon finally wins it. Hughes might also be the slight favorite for the Norris but Makar isn't going away any time soon and both have a very realistic possibility to crack 100 points.

Tocchet should be a finalist for the Adams, but has stiff competition in Bowness and Torts. Edmonton's coach might also get a lot of consideration after turning the team around. I think it's incredibly rare for a coach to win Coach of the Year twice in a row (possibly only happened once) but you have to think Jim Montgomery will be in the conversation again as well.

Matthews will be Petey's main competition for the Lady Byng and having been a multi-time finalist in the past likely has the edge since it's a reputation-based award. Boeser might actually get a few votes too this year. Also can't write off Kopitar or Point. Needless to say, the Lady Byng should be a pretty competitive award this year.

Demko is definitely in the running for the Vezina but right now I think is edged out by Hellebuyck. There's definitely enough season left for that to change though.

I do think Allvin has to be the frontrunner for the Gregory though. He implemented a pretty major roster turnover leading to a dramatic change in the competitiveness of the team and has been the only GM to be able to consistently make trades.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh, and who can forget the Mark Messier Award.  Wouldn't it be fitting if someone from Vancouver won that this year after we win the Cup?  Maybe JT Miller?  

Even the way that trophy is awarded is nonsense.  Mark just sits at home and picks a player he likes.  I am guessing he just doesn't pick Canucks to avoid being laughed at or stirring up controversy.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

There's definitely a good chance that the Canucks could walk away with a decent amount of hardware this year, but I'm not so sure they're outright favorites for any just yet.

Hughes could end up a Hart finalist but this is likely this year MacKinnon finally wins it. Hughes might also be the slight favorite for the Norris but Makar isn't going away any time soon and both have a very realistic possibility to crack 100 points.

Tocchet should be a finalist for the Adams, but has stiff competition in Bowness and Torts. Edmonton's coach might also get a lot of consideration after turning the team around. I think it's incredibly rare for a coach to win Coach of the Year twice in a row (possibly only happened once) but you have to think Jim Montgomery will be in the conversation again as well.

Matthews will be Petey's main competition for the Lady Byng and having been a multi-time finalist in the past likely has the edge since it's a reputation-based award. Boeser might actually get a few votes too this year. Also can't write off Kopitar or Point. Needless to say, the Lady Byng should be a pretty competitive award this year.

Demko is definitely in the running for the Vezina but right now I think is edged out by Hellebuyck. There's definitely enough season left for that to change though.

I do think Allvin has to be the frontrunner for the Gregory though. He implemented a pretty major roster turnover leading to a dramatic change in the competitiveness of the team and has been the only GM to be able to consistently make trades.

Nobody expected the Canucks to be competing for anything but a wild card team.   THN ranked us 6th in the division on paper,  score the season started, and they weren't alone.   Bullish "experts", had us at 4, the rest, 5th or 6th.   In our division.   Agree that Tochett has some competition.   That said, he was the only major award, of all of them, that every  writer from  NHL.com at the half way point, gave first place votes.   That's like Gretzky getting all of them for the Hart.   Extremely rare.   EDM coach likely gets some votes, and Torts..but unless the wheels completely fall off, Tochett is winning this one.   He's got a very comfortable lead on his peers.  

Byng Mathews maybe sure.   Think EP gets it this year.    Hughes also edged Makar but it was razor thin.    That's a toss up for sure.   Those two will split the votes, and still be miles ahead of whomever is third.    Doubt anyone votes for someone else as second.     Same goes for Demko and Hellebuyck, as of right now, Hellebuyck was the half way winner, but Demko wasn't far behind, then a tier down and anyone's guess as to 3rd best.   Demko's heater since then (9 wins and counting) if the season ended right now, he's probably got the edge.  

Reality is, we have a large group of guys, who are trending to be a finalist for a major award.   Hart, Norris and Vezina.   Don't think the Lindsay, those guys are probably McKinnon, McDavid and one of Mathews (on pace for 70 goals) or Kucherov.    

Selke will be interesting.  It's Barkov's to lose at this point, if EP and Lindholm manage to provide a lot of offense, and keep the puck out of their own net,  Lindholm and EP will again garner votes.   Right now though, the front runner on our team for that is actually JT Miller.    Tochett playing him against the best of the best at home .. under the radar a bit, he's close to the lead in plus minus and writers will check this when considering,  as well as TOI and how their quality of competition, even strength stats.    Barkov,  maybe Crosby, then who?    Miller, EP and Lindholm all likely get votes.   Miller the most.    The other interesting thing, now that the square peg banana eater is off the team,  the final 40% of the season, fully expecting Tochett to mix it up a little.     The Miller votes, likely end up getting split a bit. 

Brock and the Masterson is for sure on the table too. 

Allvin is heads and tails ahead of his peer group.  

Like Brayden Point said awhile back now "this team has all the need to be a championship team"  ... it got better with Lindholm.   And Gretzky "this team can go as far as they believe they can".    That belief Tochetts building and keeping in check.    Love this team.   It's special in a way we haven't really seen before.    Early 90's teams, 92-96 had that feeling too, difference with this one, we have a QHs instead of a Bure.    EPs not far off Bure as in an ability to break games (game breaker), so did the Luongo/Sedin teams, have that special feeling we were going somewhere.  

Maybe we don't have the same depth as those teams (think we do now though), but we've never had a team where we've got this many different guys, who will end up with votes for a major award either.    Jovo I believe was 6th twice in a row.   That's the closest we've ever come, to a Norris. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Even the way that trophy is awarded is nonsense.  Mark just sits at home and picks a player he likes.  I am guessing he has just doesn't pick Canucks to avoid being laughed at or stirring up controversy.

They truly need to cut that out.  Instead let the coache's decide.   The GMs get to vote for the Vezina, why not let the Coaches and their assistants vote on this?  And only allow one of them (head coach) to vote on their own players.   Most coaches have been around and are more familiar with the players... 

Edit:  Also curious on your input given your knowledge of the early teams.   What do you think?    Does this current team have something previous ones haven't?   Felt after we had 3 Calder finalists in a row, that something special could happen.   Horvat was the same age as Ronning was to Linden to EP.     Now that we've got another center, does it stack up with the depth we had with Linden, Ronning and Craven (Nedved), plus Bure, Adams,  (Larionov), Courntall, Gelinas and Momesso in the top six/9?  Think it's about as close as we've come to date.    Let's just hope they've got the goods like those teams did, come the post season. 

Allvin seems to have some inner Pat Quin in him.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They truly need to cut that out.  Instead let the coache's decide.   The GMs get to vote for the Vezina, why not let the Coaches and their assistants vote on this?  And only allow one of them (head coach) to vote on their own players.   Most coaches have been around and are more familiar with the players... 

Edit:  Also curious on your input given your knowledge of the early teams.   What do you think?    Does this current team have something previous ones haven't?   Felt after we had 3 Calder finalists in a row, that something special could happen.   Horvat was the same age as Ronning was to Linden to EP.     Now that we've got another center, does it stack up with the depth we had with Linden, Ronning and Craven (Nedved), plus Bure, Adams,  (Larionov), Courntall, Gelinas and Momesso in the top six/9?  Think it's about as close as we've come to date.    Let's just hope they've got the goods like those teams did, come the post season. 

Allvin seems to have some inner Pat Quin in him.   

This iteration of the Canucks seems to have what it takes.  Obviously the Canucks have never had a Leetch / Housley / Park Hall of Fame kind of guy before and Hughes is already making a claim at surpassing Housley.

I really think getting Horvat off the team was maybe the necessary ingredient.  Not that he was a Messier kind of cancer or anything...something about his captaincy and the way the team accepted sucking just felt like it had to go.  I guess the closest thing I can think of is moving on from Naslund at the end.

If Miller, Pettersson and Lindholm are all considered centers, I guess we've probably never had that level of high end talent all at once.  Lindholm is close to Kesler in pedigree, Pettersson is close to Henrik, and that leaves a 99 point dude as a bonus.  In practice the way the lines are made...could be the best four lines we've been able to run.  I think 1982 and 1994 may have had more depth in terms of 50+ point players, but at the same time for 1982 anyway nobody who could get 90 points.  I think I saw you say somewhere that the current lineup doesn't have a Momesso which is true (and he peaked at >50 points I think too in St. Louis).

I guess what these guys have to prove still is that they aren't the 2012 Canucks.  Glass cannons that blow everyone out of the water in the regular season and then turtle in the playoffs and are on the golf course by game five.

The other sort of intangible here seems to be that the captaincy has turned Hughes into beast mode, same as what happened with Orland Kurtenbach and Stan Smyl.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That is an improvement for sure but...how does one even vote on and quantify leadership in the first place.  It's kind of like having the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup in existence...and then some dude also picks (or some dudes come together and vote on) the "best team in the NHL" award.  Best team has kind of already been determined empirically.

We already have the captain of the Stanley Cup winner, the captain of the Presidents Trophy team, two separate league MVP awards voted on different ways, the playoff MVP.  I imagine the best leader is in there somewhere most years.

It really is just the Mark Messier ego masturbation paperweight.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

36 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

This iteration of the Canucks seems to have what it takes.  Obviously the Canucks have never had a Leetch / Housley / Park Hall of Fame kind of guy before and Hughes is already making a claim at surpassing Housley.

I really think getting Horvat off the team was maybe the necessary ingredient.  Not that he was a Messier kind of cancer or anything...something about his captaincy and the way the team accepted sucking just felt like it had to go.  I guess the closest thing I can think of is moving on from Naslund at the end.

If Miller, Pettersson and Lindholm are all considered centers, I guess we've probably never had that level of high end talent all at once.  Lindholm is close to Kesler in pedigree, Pettersson is close to Henrik, and that leaves a 99 point dude as a bonus.  In practice the way the lines are made...could be the best four lines we've been able to run.  I think 1982 and 1994 may have had more depth in terms of 50+ point players, but at the same time for 1982 anyway nobody who could get 90 points.  I think I saw you say somewhere that the current lineup doesn't have a Momesso which is true (and he peaked at >50 points I think too in St. Louis).

I guess what these guys have to prove still is that they aren't the 2012 Canucks.  Glass cannons that blow everyone out of the water in the regular season and then turtle in the playoffs and are on the golf course by game five.

The other sort of intangible here seems to be that the captaincy has turned Hughes into beast mode, same as what happened with Orland Kurtenbach and Stan Smyl.

Hard to blame Horvat when goaltending crippled us last year. 
Imagine we moved Kuzmenko last TDL and got Hronek, woulda saved some futures/prospects and we would have had Miller - Horvat down the middle. 
Horvat can do everything and is an absolute beast in the faceoffs, he was a huge reason our PP was so strong. He’s yet again on pace for 30 goals. I think the difference since Horvat was moved is Hronek has activated Hughes, our 2nd and 3rd pairs have been absolute monsters along the walls, infront of the net and in the corners and ultimately Demko is back. I dont think it has anything to do with Horvats leadership or lack there of.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Imagine we moved Kuzmenko last TDL and got Hronek, woulda saved some futures/prospects and we would have had Miller - Horvat down the middle. 
Horvat can do everything and is an absolute beast in the faceoffs, he was a huge reason our PP was so strong. He’s yet again on pace for 30 goals. I think the difference since Horvat was moved is Hronek has activated Hughes, our 2nd and 3rd pairs have been absolute monsters along the walls, infront of the net and in the corners and ultimately Demko is back. I dont think it has anything to do with Horvats leadership or lack there of.

I don't dislike Horvat and he's a good player and he did have that bubble run (however some might recall the now forgotten John Druce and Chris Kontos with better one-off playoffs in the early 90s).  It just felt to me like it was time to move on.  Like there was a wet blanket / quicksand quality to his captaincy.

Anyway the Lindholm trade kind of reminds me of getting Jeff Brown for Nedved in 1994.  Nedved like Kuzmenko wasn't actually in the lineup or being used effectively so it was just like a bonus provided the team could tread water in the meantime in 1994.  This season the team was arguably the best in the league already with a barely playing / underachieving Kuzmenko.  With Lindholm added...sky could be the limit.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Alright Alright..You my homie Pette but let's hold our horses..Lot's of hockey left and let's not get too cocky. We will see closer to time. Anything can happen especially after the TDL..Look at Edm, Almost set a record. Sure their coach deserves a look.

Yeah, give it another month and a bit.  When we have 10 to 15 games left, we'll have a better idea.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Problem I have with that notion is that Horvat would still be captain.  This is Quinn Hughes' team now, and I couldn't be happier about that.  Having a borderline generational talent like that leading the charge brings a whole new level to the expectations of our team.

• Cheers 1

I think Hughes is probably the leader for the Norris for now and it's also a more interesting narrative than "Makar wins again", so he has the edge there. Voters love their narratives.

Petey is a contender for the Selke, but I don't think he's likely a finalist. Again though, with how the team has done, he might squeak into 3rd. Miller is also great, but likely finishes no better than 5th, and even that would be higher than expected.

Demko is a real contender for the Vezina and has the most name brand value of the other options, maybe aside from Hellebuyck. That said, others like Ingram, Hill, and Daccord also have very strong numbers. Swayman might deserve to also be in the conversation, so while it's likely he's top 3, 1st is far from guaranteed and there's a real chance he finishes as low as 5th or 6th if he does at all struggle to end the year.

As for Lady Byng, Petey and Matthews are probably the current frontrunners with 4 PIM each, though Makar with just 12 as a defenseman is also impressively responsible. If Matthews scores 65+ goals though and matches Petey's PIM, I can't imagine voters picking Petey over Matthews, even if Pettersson has a few more total points.

Jennings is very possible as we're currently leading the league there. At current paces, Desmith will play exactly 25 games, so he might also get in on this.

Tocchet is almost certainly the current frontrunner for the Jack Adams. Allvin could be a contender for the Jim Gregory, though I often feel like this award should be more focused on long-term success than one good year.

As good as Hughes is, I think our overall team is too good for him to be a serious Hart contender. That one likely goes to McDavid or Kucherov I'd say.

My guess is that we take home two awards, the Norris for Hughes and the Jack Adams for Tocchet. I expect Demko to be a Vezina finalist and Petey to finish 2nd in Lady Byng voting. Allvin will probably also be a finalist for the Jim Gregory. My guess is Petey finishes about 5th or 6th in Selke voting and Miller around 9th. I'm betting we finish 2nd or 3rd in goals against, so don't win the William Jennings.

• Cheers 1

As far as Player awards (as opposed to non player awards)

If the western player isn't a generational player or on a top team, with all things being equal the Eastern player will get the nod, as the bulk of teams and media preside there

I don't care so much what others vote or rate our players for individual awards

Hockey is a team sport and I care more about the team awards myself

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I have been thinking for some months now, the way Hughes is playing, that it is reminiscent of watching Brian Leetch in the 1994 playoffs. Leetch was dominant and IMO the best player on that team. Leetch also had a very good puck moving partner in Sergei Zubov. 

Hronek would be our version of Zubov.

Interestingly, IIRC, Zubov was moved to Dallas and became a dominant defenseman for the Stars.

Of the three Hall of Fame defensemen that you mention, Leetch/Housley/Park..... Leetch, IMO was by far the most dominant.

Park, when he went to Colorado, was not (again in my opinion) the best defenseman on that team and that team won a cup.

Housley was a good puck mover and a good well rounded defenseman, similar to Leetch's sidekick, Sergei Zubov. Not at the same level as either Leetch or (IMO) Hughes.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I have been thinking for some months now, the way Hughes is playing, that it is reminiscent of watching Brian Leetch in the 1994 playoffs. Leetch was dominant and IMO the best player on that team. Leetch also had a very good puck moving partner in Sergei Zubov. 

Hronek would be our version of Zubov.

Interestingly, IIRC, Zubov was moved to Dallas and became a dominant defenseman for the Stars.

Of the three Hall of Fame defensemen that you mention, Leetch/Housley/Park..... Leetch, IMO was by far the most dominant.

Park, when he went to Colorado, was not (again in my opinion) the best defenseman on that team and that team won a cup.

Housley was a good puck mover and a good well rounded defenseman, similar to Leetch's sidekick, Sergei Zubov. Not at the same level as either Leetch or (IMO) Hughes.

I think you might be confusing Brad Park with...either Ray Bourque or Rob Blake here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1