[Proposal] If Petey refuses to re-sign...

...we trade him to Minnesota.  They have struggled to get a 1C in their system for a long time.

To MIN:

Petey

To VAN:

Boldy

Faber

1st

With this move, we can afford to keep a lot of guys from this year.

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Boldy

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Mikheyev-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Faber

Zadorov-Tanev (as UFA)

Stanley Cup here we come!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Nope.  They need to wait one more year before getting Suter and Parise off their books.  They are operating at a $15 million cap penalty right now.

They can do it!  $7M (Boldy) and $925k (Faber) off their books means they have nearly $20M in cap space next year for Petey and then they're just re-signing bottom 6 guys and maybe a top 4D.  Then the following season the Suter and Parise hits are off the books and they'll be good to go.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

They can do it!  $7M (Boldy) and $925k (Faber) off their books means they have nearly $20M in cap space next year for Petey and then they're just re-signing bottom 6 guys and maybe a top 4D.  Then the following season the Suter and Parise hits are off the books and they'll be good to go.

Your numbers are wrong.  They should have $10M in cap space this summer.  That's all they got.  They need to sign at least 4 forwards, 3 defenceman, and 1 goalie with that money.  If Pettersson signs for something around $11M, Now you have $7M in cap space, and you have to get an EXTRA defenceman.  I actually don't think it's mathematically possible even by adding 9 guys at minimum wage.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Your numbers are wrong.  They should have $10M in cap space this summer.  That's all they got.  They need to sign at least 4 forwards, 3 defenceman, and 1 goalie with that money.  If Pettersson signs for something around $11M, Now you have $7M in cap space, and you have to get an EXTRA defenceman.  I actually don't think it's mathematically possible even by adding 9 guys at minimum wage.

image.png.a0ee9964f6020d9550f9d823f715214b.png

Looks like $11.7M to me, then add back Boldy's $7M + Faber's $925K and you're at $19,668,079.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Even if salary cap weren't an issue I'm not so sure Minnesota does that deal. 

Why not?  They don't have a 1C anywhere in their pipeline.  They have top wingers, top 4D, and even a top goalie prospect, but no 1C.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

image.png.a0ee9964f6020d9550f9d823f715214b.png

Looks like $11.7M to me, then add back Boldy's $7M + Faber's $925K and you're at $19,668,079.

Yeah, so you're slashing $11M to sign Petey, and then you have to sign 4 forwards, 4 defenceman, and 1 goalie with the remaining $8 million.  Nine roster players, $8 million.  What kind of garbage team is that going to look like?

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Why not?  They don't have a 1C anywhere in their pipeline.  They have top wingers, top 4D, and even a top goalie prospect, but no 1C.

They'd be trading their #1 defenseman, as Faber is looking like a stud RHD already. Faber is averaging 25 minutes per game as a rookie and doing quite well. Boldy is trending towards being a pt per game winger. Throw in a first as well. 

Interesting offer. Might be slightly weighted in our favour, depending on how you value Petey. Boldy is already a fringe 1st line player and Faber could become a solid top 4 with even top pairing potential. The 1st would almost have to be protected for Minni to consider this I think.

That said, as others have pointed out, the buyouts from Minnesota might handcuff them too much for this deal.

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting offer. Might be slightly weighted in our favour, depending on how you value Petey. Boldy is already a fringe 1st line player and Faber could become a solid top 4 with even top pairing potential. The 1st would almost have to be protected for Minni to consider this I think.

That said, as others have pointed out, the buyouts from Minnesota might handcuff them too much for this deal.

Faber is already a top pair defenseman. 

32 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Yeah, so you're slashing $11M to sign Petey, and then you have to sign 4 forwards, 4 defenceman, and 1 goalie with the remaining $8 million.  Nine roster players, $8 million.  What kind of garbage team is that going to look like?

A Wild one 😆

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Faber is already a top pair defenseman. 

Yeah, I didn't have access to TOI info at the time of that post, but seeing it now, he's definitely being used that way.

Why do we keep speculating on him not re-signing when he has already stated that he wants to be in Vancouver, but doesn't want the distraction of negotiating contract while the season is ongoing.

So, what do fans do? We constantly create distraction, empower the media to distract and ask him at every opportunity, "What's going on with contract negotiations...." when he has clearly said what he wants and intends to do.

If he did change his mind, I wouldn't blame him!

How would you feel if you publicly state that you don't want to negotiate something until the current season is over and then you get asked about it DAILY???

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

When, did he say that?

all I've ever seen is "I want to play on a winner".

https://www.nhl.com/news/elias-pettersson-still-not-ready-to-sign-new-contract

Says the same thing he has said all along, doesn't want to think about anything but this season and will deal with negotiating contract in summer.

The only ones worried about this are Canuck fans. The only ones making noise about this are the media who value getting clicks more than they do Canucks winning the cup.

This summer, Pettersson will sign a contract that makes sense for both side. If he's serious about playing for a winner, then he won't come in with the attitude of milking a contract for everything he can. For the most part, teams that have won the cup for the past year, all their top players have really left money on the table to allow the team to build a deep lineup that can make it through 4 rounds of playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Our 3 biggest signings will be Petey, Lindholm and Hronek. We really only have Myers 6mil to play with since the bump in cap will be needed to re-sign Joshua and payout OEL. So take the 6 mil and split it 2.5/2.0/1.5...that would put EP40 @ 9.85mil / Lindy @ 6.85mil / Hronek @ 5.9mil. Lindholm's and Hronek's deals look pretty close to what the new contracts will likely be, but I think Petey's is light by about 1.5mil...it looks more likely that he'll be gone. Who do I think we could get for that 9.85mil? I think Jake Guentzel fits the bill. Sign him as a UFA and flip Petey for prospects and picks (or best yet, a top 6 winger on an ELC). Then you've got 4 legit top 6 forwards (Miller, Boeser, Guentzel & Lindholm) and throw in a couple of Top9 guys (Hogs and Podz + if you got a top6 in the Petey deal) and we should be pretty balanced up front. If we really want to keep Petey then I think Mik has to go.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Our 3 biggest signings will be Petey, Lindholm and Hronek. We really only have Myers 6mil to play with since the bump in cap will be needed to re-sign Joshua and payout OEL. So take the 6 mil and split it 2.5/2.0/1.5...that would put EP40 @ 9.85mil / Lindy @ 6.85mil / Hronek @ 5.9mil. Lindholm's and Hronek's deals look pretty close to what the new contracts will likely be, but I think Petey's is light by about 1.5mil...it looks more likely that he'll be gone. Who do I think we could get for that 9.85mil? I think Jake Guentzel fits the bill. Sign him as a UFA and flip Petey for prospects and picks (or best yet, a top 6 winger on an ELC). Then you've got 4 legit top 6 forwards (Miller, Boeser, Guentzel & Lindholm) and throw in a couple of Top9 guys (Hogs and Podz + if you got a top6 in the Petey deal) and we should be pretty balanced up front. If we really want to keep Petey then I think Mik has to go.

I'd think Hronek easily be closer to 7M tbh. 

Guys already eclipsed his career high in points and is sitting at +37 with like 28 games to go, Not to mention how well him and Hughes have paired together..

Somethings gotta give for sure. Gonna be an interesting off season.

Edited by Bobby Lou

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

This summer, Pettersson will sign a contract that makes sense for both side. If he's serious about playing for a winner, then he won't come in with the attitude of milking a contract for everything he can. For the most part, teams that have won the cup for the past year, all their top players have really left money on the table to allow the team to build a deep lineup that can make it through 4 rounds of playoffs.

That's an awfully big assumption that he'll re-sign a contract that'll make sense for both sides. Nothing he (or his agent) has said provides any indication of this. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

I'd think Hronek easily be closer to 7M tbh. 

Guys already eclipsed his career high in points and is sitting at +37 with like 28 games to go, Not to mention how well him and Hughes have paired together..

Somethings gotta give for sure. Gonna be an interesting off season.

And without Hughes, Hronek doesn't look nearly as solid. I think Alvin will get it done for $6.5M at 5 years. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

All those months of trade proposals trying to get us Eriksson Ek & now trading them Peteystill doesn't bring us Eriksson Ek (let alone another centre)?!!giphy.gif.d6765dacd466376111ccf64309624ec7.gif

We've got our 2 way centre in Elias Lindholm.  A top 6 winger and a top 4 RHD for Petey would just add to our depth.