(Discussion) Bringing back Myers next year?

This topic would have pissed off every one of us last year but Myers has actually had a nice season so far. As of now he’s a +13 with 19 points, already over 100 shots blocked and close to 100 hits with an acceptable turnover rate and plays big minutes and gets a lot of PK time on a much improved Penalty Kill. In other words he’s not a negative asset like the past couple years.

If it was a sub 3 million per year for 1 or 2 years, I’m very open. Juulsen is our only righty under contract next season and I think we are probably 2 years away on Willander. Thoughts?

As long as Soucy is healthy, or Cole is coming back.  His (and the team's) defensive stability are largely due to the players around him, as he's shown that he can't just have any Joe Blow/ OEL covering for his mistakes.  As for his cost, if he'll make any more than what Gudbranson makes currently I think we have to let him walk.  Petey and Hronek alone will cost around $20 million so we need to spend the rest of our cap space wisely.

He'd probably do just fine on a lower cost 1-2 year deal, but his coming back at a low cost would be key. He'd be a fine stopgap until Willander is ready to make the jump, and Willander should get a couple seasons to develop before cracking the NHL anyway. 

There's actually quite a bit to like. 

1. He's a known quantity by management, the coaching staff, and the players. 
  2. He's already familiar with the team systems at whatnot, and he's actually looked better this season under Tochett and the other coaching staff.
  3. He's an RD who can probably slot in as a 4-5 guy, even if you view him as more of a 5 he has a history of playing top 4 minutes and could probably step up in the event of injury. 
  4. He's been a Canuck through some lousy seasons, don't see why he'd want to leave as the team trends up. 
  5. Provides a size factor, even if it gets him in trouble sometimes. Is willing to get mixed up in scrums, play physical sometimes. 
  6. He's had a pretty good track record of staying healthy as a Canuck.
  7. Provides complimentary offense. 
  8. He provides CFF with a whipping boy.
  9. He's likelier to give the Canucks a discount of sorts than most UFA's.

It really depends on how much money he wants, if he's willing to take less to stay I could see him getting an extension. If he wants to get one more bigger money deal he probably won't be able to get that here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40174df06cd6fdce424314a8e03bd7523f066281

Firstly, he's likely going to get +/-$4m, not "sub $3m"...no thanks.

Second, he's pretty far down the lost of available UFA's after Pesce, Tanev, Lyubushkin, Miller, Carrier, Hakanpaa, hell... Stecher. Nevermind potential trade targets  like Zub or Larsson.

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Second, he's pretty far down the lost of available UFA's after Pesce, Tanev, Lyubushkin, Miller, Carrier, Hakanpaa, hell... Stecher. Nevermind potential trade targets  like Zub or Larsson.

Pesce is out of reach. Too expensive. Miller, Carrier, Hakanpaa and Lyubushkkn aren’t much of an upgrade on Juulsen. Stecher, yeah no thanks. 

Tanev is definitely an option and would be free. Zub or Larsson would be the dream though if we could get them at a reasonable cost. Probably our 2025 1st ++. But either one would solidify our top 4 and we wouldn’t have to rush Willander into the team. 

Zub would be my #1 trade target as he’s still fairly young, has term on his deal and it’s a reasonable cost for a #4 Dman and he’s a Milstein client to boot. I’d pair him up with Zadorov. And then have Soucy with Juulsen. Once Willander is ready he can replace Juulsen in the lineup. 

Hughes    Hronek 

Zadorov   Zub 

Soucy      Juulsen 

The double Z’s will be a great shutdown pair. 

The double H’s will continue to dominate the league. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

H-H

Z-?

Soucy-Juulson

So assuming a 2 mil raise for Hronek, ~500k for Zad, yeah lets then go for someone like Pesce if he's willing. 

I'm pretty much sitting in the hell no camp. For what he brings there's players available for under 1.5mil. I like the new management group in that they are business first...if that matches up with some sentiment then great...if not, business first. If chaos giraffe really WANTS to retire as a Canuck, then let him do it for 2 x 1.5mil. If not, thanks, we'll buy you a good-bye watch.

The reason we sucked for 7-8 years is because of sentiment first (Sedins) instead of business. If we could have flipped the twins back in 2013 for a whole host of players, prospects and picks we might have sucked for a couple years only. Please don't get me wrong, I loved having the twins here (as I'm very happy they are here now), but our refusal to put business first doomed us to the middle of the pack, never low enough to snag a high pick and never high enough to make a few extra bucks playing playoff hockey. And again, no fault to the Sedins...they left it out there every night they came to play. We just couldn't supply them with any depth or defense to back them up.

However, I digress. And TM is in NO WAY in the same conversation as the above example...but just as a point about sentimentality vs business-mentality.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pesce is out of reach. Too expensive. Miller, Carrier, Hakanpaa and Lyubushkkn aren’t much of an upgrade on Juulsen. Stecher, yeah no thanks. 

Tanev is definitely an option and would be free. Zub or Larsson would be the dream though if we could get them at a reasonable cost. Probably our 2025 1st ++. But either one would solidify our top 4 and we wouldn’t have to rush Willander into the team. 

Zub would be my #1 trade target as he’s still fairly young, has term on his deal and it’s a reasonable cost for a #4 Dman and he’s a Milstein client to boot. I’d pair him up with Zadorov. And then have Soucy with Juulsen. Once Willander is ready he can replace Juulsen in the lineup. 

Hughes    Hronek 

Zadorov   Zub 

Soucy      Juulsen 

The double Z’s will be a great shutdown pair. 

The double H’s will continue to dominate the league. 

I don't think Pesce will be all that expensive (~$5m, which we can afford). Tanev is probably the ideal fit though. Milller/Carrier are legit 2nd pair D (albeit different player types). Stecher, was an example of an inexpensive 3rd pair guy I'd FAR prefer spending ~$1.5m on vs $3.5m+ on Myers on our 3rd pair. But sure, Juulsen can arguably slot in there (he has been playing well).

Main point of my post was that there's a LINEUP of guys I'd sign/trade for before extending Myers.

Edited by aGENT
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

I think what the people who hate the idea are missing is that Myers is proving to play well in Tocchet’s system. The fear of bringing in a UFA is that player struggling in a new system. If Myers is willing to return on a short deal at a decent cost, I think he would be a better option than most of the free agents listed above or trading assets for a player. Outside of Tanev, I think the pending UFA group is either going to be too pricy or a drop off from what Myers gives us, depending on the player of course. Tanev I could see leaving some money on the table to come back to us. 

2 hours ago, CanucksFan26 said:

I think what the people who hate the idea are missing is that Myers is proving to play well in Tocchet’s system. The fear of bringing in a UFA is that player struggling in a new system. If Myers is willing to return on a short deal at a decent cost, I think he would be a better option than most of the free agents listed above or trading assets for a player. Outside of Tanev, I think the pending UFA group is either going to be too pricy or a drop off from what Myers gives us, depending on the player of course. Tanev I could see leaving some money on the table to come back to us. 

I think what people that want him back are missing, is that he'll likely easily command +/-$4m on the open market. Personally, I'd FAR rather spend that cap on Tanev, who's both a better defenseman, and a better fit in our top 4.

Even if he is paying well under Tochett (and is finally properly partnered).