[Report] Dubas listening on all Penguins' non-core players

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2849382/report-dubas-listening-on-all-penguins-non-core-players

Except for his star-laden core, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Kyle Dubas is entertaining offers on his entire roster, according to TSN's Pierre LeBrun.

Reilly Smith is among the candidates to be moved, LeBrun adds. Dubas acquired Smith, who has a 10-team no-trade clause, from the Vegas Golden Knights over the summer.

Smith, 32, has managed 22 points in 46 games for Pittsburgh this season and is under contract through 2025 at a $5-million cap hit.

Dubas' desire to keep Pittsburgh's core intact could end trade speculation around star forward Jake Guentzel. The pending unrestricted free agent has been involved in rumors throughout his contract year but is a mainstay on the Penguins' top line alongside Sidney Crosby when healthy.

Pittsburgh is trending toward missing the playoffs for the second consecutive campaign. The team entered Tuesday's action nine points back of a wild-card seed and 10 points back of third place in the Metropolitan Division.

The March 8 deadline is Dubas' first with the Penguins after a nine-year stint with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I hope the rest of the Owners in the NHL learn, Dubas has no idea how build a hockey club.

Pittsburgh needs 1st rounders to rebuild from. Even the aging Superstars are probably too expensive in a cap world.

Selling it's spare parts isn't going to do anything.

Owen Pickering is the only young bright spot they have.

• Upvote 1

Reilly Smith straight up for Mikheyev? 

Mik has been dreadful this year, Smith has played on some good teams and obviously Vegas of late, so can play in the playoffs. I'd like to think the real Mikheyev is going to arrive at some point, mainly the playoffs, where he could use his size and speed and go out and hit everything and forecheck well, but we haven't seen any of that so far this season so not sure it's coming.

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Mik has been dreadful this year, Smith has played on some good teams and obviously Vegas of late, so can play in the playoffs. I'd like to think the real Mikheyev is going to arrive at some point, mainly the playoffs, where he could use his size and speed and go out and hit everything and forecheck well, but we haven't seen any of that so far this season so not sure it's coming.

It probably takes a sweetener to get that done, as Mik has an extra year. 

46 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

Hopefully we are in on Marcus Pettersson. Gotta corner the market on Pettersson jersey sales.

I’d argue we should think bigger and include all Elias’ too. I’ll make a tin foil box today and go back in time to extract a prime Patrick Elias.

One of Elias Lindholm’s middle names is Zebulon. Sounds like he should be a Superman or Power Ranger nemesis 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Would Dubas be willing to take on Miky since he knows him well and a 3rd for Graves? Graves is a big, physical dman who can PK and I think he would be great in the POs. He is signed at a reasonable hit of 4.5mil for the next five years. He could also be a cheaper replacement for Myers if he walks.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Probably take our 2025 1st... 

46 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

Would Dubas be willing to take on Miky since he knows him well and a 3rd for Graves? Graves is a big, physical dman who can PK and I think he would be great in the POs. He is signed at a reasonable hit of 4.5mil for the next five years. He could also be a cheaper replacement for Myers if he walks.  

Doubt it, Mikheyev probably doesn't shift things much in their forward group and the Pens need someone to play defense. As you've said, he's on a very reasonable deal going forward, I think he stays. 

I think if Pittsburgh trades a D it'll probably be Pettersson, he's got a season remaining at just over 4M and if the Pens flounder again next season I wouldn't be surprised to see him being willing to move on as a UFA. Which means he'd probably be traded. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Theo5789 said:

Hopefully we are in on Marcus Pettersson. Gotta corner the market on Pettersson jersey sales.

Honestly I wanted him from the get-go, solid shutdown young big a good contract. I know it probably costs Hronek-value to acquire him but boy would it solidify our D for the future. I really wanted Hanifin to do that job but Pettersson would be a nice slight step down.

Probably would cost a 1st + decent player + top prospect. So 1st + Cole/Soucy/Zadorov + Raty. Probably same cost as Hanifin.

Seems like a lot of value but I'd do it. Best D in the league for the next 5-7 years is worth that haul. I would have done this trade instead of the Kuzmenko one. I know it seems silly focussing on defence when we need scoring and Lindholm balances us nicely, but defence wins championships and I've always been more on the side of loading up D.

Hughes - Hronek

Pettersson/Hanifin - Cole

Soucy/Zad - Myers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

If they know they need to get younger, they should move the core players like Crosby too. They won’t, but they should. 

Sometimes legacy goes beyond the present roster, it'd be criminal for him to wear another jersey 

Anyone not named Crosby, Malkin, and Letang is likely available, that's the core 

It's amazing what they've accomplished together 

It's like the keep the twins in Vancouver argument, except this trio won championships and drove a modern day dynasty 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

LeBrun seems to be hinting that they are looking to move Smith's cap hit so they can afford to re-sign Guentzel. So don't think they would be up for that.

But could be a 3-team deal? Drance said on the radio that a lot of teams really like Mikheyev, and would be willing to take him without a sweetener. (The expectation is that he'll be much better next season, when he's fully recovered.) And then Smith's contract is up in time to potentially extend Boeser.

6 hours ago, Theo5789 said:

Pettersson is their most used penalty killer (2:39 PK TOI/game), and their most effective (3.85 PP GA/60 mins). The only D Vancouver has that has been more effective on the PK is Carson Soucy (3.21 PP GA/60).

Say what you will about Mikheyev, but his PK numbers are insane. Of all players in the league that have killed penalties for at least 30 mins total, Mikheyev has the 2nd best PP GA/60 in the league at 1.37 (2nd only to Thomas Harley of Dallas at 1.30).

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Pettersson is their most used penalty killer (2:39 PK TOI/game), and their most effective (3.85 PP GA/60 mins). The only D Vancouver has that has been more effective on the PK is Carson Soucy (3.21 PP GA/60).

Say what you will about Mikheyev, but his PK numbers are insane. Of all players in the league that have killed penalties for at least 30 mins total, Mikheyev has the 2nd best PP GA/60 in the league at 1.37 (2nd only to Thomas Harley of Dallas at 1.30).

Plus adding another Pettersson to make Shorty's job even more interesting is always funny. Pettersson would have been interesting if we weren't already backlogged on LD.

As for Mikheyev, he has been fairly invisible up until now, but the last few games he's definitely stood out more. Hopefully he's starting to feel 100% again, and can then really utilize that speed he's got.

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I hope the rest of the Owners in the NHL learn, Dubas has no idea how build a hockey club.

Pittsburgh needs 1st rounders to rebuild from. Even the aging Superstars are probably too expensive in a cap world.

Selling it's spare parts isn't going to do anything.

Owen Pickering is the only young bright spot they have.

Nah, I hope Edmonton hires this idiot once Pittsburgh replaces him with someone who actually understands the sport.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Sometimes legacy goes beyond the present roster, it'd be criminal for him to wear another jersey 

Anyone not named Crosby, Malkin, and Letang is likely available, that's the core 

It's amazing what they've accomplished together 

It's like the keep the twins in Vancouver argument, except this trio won championships and drove a modern day dynasty 

And sometimes you have to let legacy go. 

image.png.47fc02b7fc1e804d530dc20e58a1b4a8.png 

Sometimes it works out... and sometimes it doesn't.

image.png.b764d08bf643e535c77df4079d238eed.png

image.png.7917288e9b65e0b1d9fa438bc2e9d5b3.png 

Zero regrets for hanging onto the Sedins.  They will spend the rest of their lives here.  Nothing wrong with chasing for one more, though.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I've always liked Reilly Smith, but that trade feels like it would be a trade just for the sake of making a trade. They're similar players offensively and defensively at this point but Reilly Smith is 3.5 years older. I wouldn't be against the trade necessarily, but it's not like Mikheyev has been a problem that needs to be moved on from.

A legit point of criticism for Dubas: he inherited an obvious mess brought on by Hextall and Rutherford... but why didn't he try to do something sooner?  It was apparent to everyone this core was stale and the Eriksson trade didn't move the needle enough.