[Report] Canucks re-sign Pettersson to 8 year contract @ $11.6M

25 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

It is not directly at you.It is just explanation of state of this forum.Homers,haters and confused.

Haha gotcha! Makes sense now and accurate 

1 hour ago, Bardown said:

He’s already performed well in one playoff. And since has gotten stronger and better at both ends of the ice 

not sure why you’re worried. Can he get stronger? Yup and he needs to 

but in 17 playoff games he has 18pts

not many players are a ppg in the playoffs dude 

Matthews is one of those who is not ppg in the playoffs (albeit respectable numbers). Wasn't there a lot of knock on him, last year at least, that he was fairly invisible come playoff time?

• Like 1

Anyone looked at this contract from an overall team aspect in terms of the next 3 years of contracts for the team? Does committing the 11.6m cause other signing issues and if so who will it impact other player signings or trades?

I hope he's worth it, because for the Canucks that's a lot to commit to one player. 

I'm just not convinced his style of play and size will work well in a playoff setting. I hope I'm wrong and we will find out this playoffs. Atm he is not playing well, he is getting bumped off pucks by physical play and making poor passing and puck keeping choices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Think this is a huge mistake paying him that much considering he's so flaky,Austin Matthews he is not. Will definitely compromise the team build leading to an Oilers/Laffs situation.

I guess you forgot how unforgettable Matthews was in November?

429661520_10160792155475549_379069155796

And then there was "We want Florida" excellence that he displayed:

430080058_10160792155480549_159110065975

Flaky? But a guy who moons security in his building isn't?

Don't worry about our guy, he's just fine. Auston hasn't done squat yet (either). Well, except when he pulls his pants down I guess.

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1
  • MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He did sign for a little bit less though.

How much extra is he supposed to sign for?

A mil less than market value is more than reasonable.

Yeah minus canadian taxes and all 8m a year pretty good

17 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Anyone looked at this contract from an overall team aspect in terms of the next 3 years of contracts for the team? Does committing the 11.6m cause other signing issues and if so who will it impact other player signings or trades?

I hope he's worth it, because for the Canucks that's a lot to commit to one player. 

I'm just not convinced his style of play and size will work well in a playoff setting. I hope I'm wrong and we will find out this playoffs. Atm he is not playing well, he is getting bumped off pucks by physical play and making poor passing and puck keeping choices.

For the next 3 years we get Hughes at $7.865 million, so I think we are good for that time period.  We will also hopefully have Lekkerimaki, Willander, D-Petey (that should be fun), Silovs, Podkolzin, Bains and Raty into the lineup as cheap contracts.  We'd also still have Milelr locked up at $8 million.  The only worry after this summer is trying to re-sign Demko, Boeser and to a lesser degree Hoglander.  Decisions will have to be made.  We could potentially fit all 3 of those guys under the cap, but most likely others would have to go. If the cap hits $100 million by summer of 2027, then that should help us re-sign Hughes as well.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Pretty sure he will get stronger in the future as well - look at Crosby (and his leg strength) or ex Canucks like Stetcher / Biega as the years have gone by. Bit of work in the off season - should be fine.

I do think the type of line mate he plays will have a huge effect on any success though - right now, still a "revolving door" but hopefully he gets some stability in the next while - think he's a play maker first so will need a finisher and some grinding type on his line (which explains some success with the Lotto line).  Up to the coach to see what works in the remaining 20 games. 

On another matter, what is happening with the favorites tonight - Vegas, Bruins, Avs and even the Bolts (tied with Canadiens) - strange night of hockey.

Just Win.jpg

Crosby was always strong on his skates but I agree with your point. I honestly wonder if he’s training wrong. Balance in hockey is all about your leg strength and  core. Maybe he needs to focus harder in those areas. He has always been slight and has a high center of gravity so that doesn’t help, but it’s possible to get stronger on those areas and hopefully this offseason he will. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

He’s played 17 playoffs games and has 18 pts

a ppg in the playoffs is considered exceptional and it’s not just a few games 

Since then he’s gotten better and stronger 

I’m curious why so many are ignoring his already proven performance in the playoffs?

people called Bo a “playoff performer”, yet Petey well outplayed him in the same run. 

Edited by Bardown
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Matthews is one of those who is not ppg in the playoffs (albeit respectable numbers). Wasn't there a lot of knock on him, last year at least, that he was fairly invisible come playoff time?

AM34 was a bit snakebitten in the playoffs, apart from a couple games where he went off.  He was getting his looks but just not finishing.  To his credit, he put in the extra work defensively to try and compensate.  

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Crosby was always strong on his skates but I agree with your point. I honestly wonder if he’s training wrong. Balance in hockey is all about your leg strength and  core. Maybe he needs to focus harder in those areas. He has always been slight and has a high center of gravity so that doesn’t help, but it’s possible to get stronger on those areas and hopefully this offseason he will. 

Crosby is 5'11", Petey is 6'2".  So that helps the shorter guy to stay on his feet.  You don't want to gain too much weight as it will affect your speed and your ability to handle the puck.  Petey is a world class stickhandler, we see this all the time, the moves he makes to get around guys and score.

I'm hoping he can put on another 5-7 pounds of muscle.  But I don't think he needs more than that...

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

He once was much more respected, that time he bad mouthed Drance behind his back on 650 after an interview was a big indicator of his true nature.

But….Drance. I mean,  can you blame him?

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ofcourse it was much more nuanced. Like any business negotiation the language is a lot softer. I'm sure they said going into tdl we need clarity on our cap for next year.. I'm sure they were as nice as they possibly could be...

But EP and his team knew exactly what JR was saying.  

I'm sure they did. But yeah, your right, it's often more nuanced and not the "I'll light your balls on fire if you don't give us a fucking answer" kind of response lol. 

That wouldn't go so well. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Will anyone miss the chaos giraffe and his 6 million dollar contract? I’m really curious if he gets more than 2.5 on the open market.

I will say he has improved now that he is used less but he’s definitely the first cut to save money.

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Crosby is 5'11", Petey is 6'2".  So that helps the shorter guy to stay on his feet.  You don't want to gain too much weight as it will affect your speed and your ability to handle the puck.  Petey is a world class stickhandler, we see this all the time, the moves he makes to get around guys and score.

I'm hoping he can put on another 5-7 pounds of muscle.  But I don't think he needs more than that...

agree, I’m not suggesting he adds 20lbs, just focuses on key areas 

Gaining leg and core strength will only make you faster 

when players train wrong, and focus on building upper body (chest and shoulders it can slow them down) - Jake, Boeser etc, because that adds weight without power for areas of the game you need very much. Ie benching 250 lbs is less valuable than squatting 450lbs… for  obvious reasons. It really depends on why you gained weight, if its leg power it is beneficial, if it’s your chest not so much. 

if you look at how a hockey player should be built it’s typically strong arms, wrists, core and legs like tree trunks. 

Petey needs to gain leg power and core strength imho 

Edited by Bardown
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Will anyone miss the chaos giraffe and his 6 million dollar contract? I’m really curious if he gets more than 2.5 on the open market.

I will say he has improved now that he is used less but he’s definitely the first cut to save money.

Someone will pay him 4-5 mil for 3-4 years.

RD

Big and plays relatively big

Can skate 

still a valuable position and someone will get enticed by his attributes 

to be fair he’s been pretty good this year. But he’s not worth more than 3 mil as he should be a number 5 and be playing a very narrow role. 

I could easily see Toronto paying him. And a host of weak teams needing a defensive leader, Chicago, Anaheim, SJ, etc. 

Edited by Bardown

10 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I bet Myers could get 4plus on the market 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Without going through the whole thread, What was Carolina's proposed trade?

Necas + Kotkaniemi + +

The + + would have been a 1st and a prospect.

I'm sure the prospect would have been one of their 2 or 3 best.

Pretty good deal. I don't think JR would have put it on Pettersson if he wasn't willing to pull the trigger..

• Thanks 1