[Speculation] Trade Deadline Primer: Vancouver Canucks

I'd like us to do similar moves as 2011:

- A big, defensive bottom pairing d-man (think Andrew Alberts from 2011).

- A pesky bottom 6 utility forward with speed who can PK (Max Lapierre)

- A top 9 forward who has a good 200 ft game, but can chip in with offense as well (Chris Higgins)

To me, these are the only moves we should make. If we need another big fish after Lindholm, then were we ever close to begin with?

As for who the current comparisons would be, I think we would see some under the radar guys we haven't heard much about

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Problem is if you add a 3-5 dman and everyone is healthy you are scratching Zadorov or Soucy. Not ideal to have 3.25-3.75 in the press box, I would rather allocate those funds to a winger who will play.

true but Soucy will take some time to get back into the swing of things with all the time he’s missed. No guarantee he doesn’t get injured again with his track record this year. In the event of two Dman injuries between post TDL and playoffs, who are your call ups?

Irwin who hasn’t even played a game in the NHL yet this season? Whom else can hold the fort? Friedman has played well in limited capacity but far from an ideal solution at the moment.

The other aspect I look at is strength in numbers. While I agree we need a W who will play, there are 16 F spots, in contrast to 6 D spots. We have F call ups who have experience this season. 
We don’t really have that great a luxury on D. And come playoffs, we tend to get weaker on the backend over time. I just think it wouldn’t hurt to allocate some capital that way and just ensure we have 4 solid pairings on D if need be.  

We are solid at least 9 deep on D and short a top 6 forward. 
If can find a reasonable top 6 forward great though would rather see Podz continue in the lineup than burn a lot more assets. 
PA knows what he is doing, he seems to find ways to make impossible things happen so who knows. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

- A top 9 forward who has a good 200 ft game, but can chip in with offense as well (Chris Higgins)

To me, these are the only moves we should make. If we need another big fish after Lindholm, then were we ever close to begin with?

As for who the current comparisons would be, I think we would see some under the radar guys we haven't heard much about

We already got all that covered buddy. Zads, Garlund/hoglander, Lindholm, in that order. We dont need to fuck our future up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

We already got all that covered buddy. Zads, Garland/hoglander, Lindholm, in that order. We dont need to fuck our future up.

I'm with you that I'd rather not give anything up aside from later picks (3rd round or later).

I think our biggest needs are a depth defensive d-man (yes, more depth) and a utility forward (could be Hoglander if they use him, but maybe a pesky vet if they want experience).

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Dumba is mid at best and wasn't all that good at his peak, not sure he's what we need. 

He would make a solid bottom pairing with a guy like Cole or Zadorov. Shores up our RD depth and he can play up the lineup if injuries. He is currently playing top pairing minutes on a bad Arizona team and has 49 games of playoff experience.   

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He would make a solid bottom pairing with a guy like Cole or Zadorov. Shores up our RD depth and he can play up the lineup if injuries. He is currently playing top pairing minutes on a bad Arizona team and has 49 games of playoff experience.   

I find him overrated at best and a disaster defensively at worst. Never been a fan, takes too many dumb penalties too 

4 minutes ago, c00kies said:

The only player I'd be willing to give a B prospect and a 2nd for would be Toffoli, but only if an extension could be worked out. 

I agree with the thought process. Look for some players with upside with low acquisition cost. 

Jack McBain

B.Tanev @ 50%

A.Burakovsky @ 50%

S.Kuraly @ 25% retention 

M.Joseph

Jordan Greenway, wait them out and see if price drops. 

Reilly Smith @50 

B.Duhaime 

• Cheers 1

We have more space than it might appear. Even if we activate Soucy from LTIR, we can still move Joshua and Myers over to LTIR and create even more space. Then just wait till first game of the playoffs, pull a Tampa and activate both of them.

• Like 1

Dhaliwal says no chance Guentzel happens as other teams have much deeper prospect pools. 

Zucker - Canucks have poked around him. (I'D PASS)

Greenway - They've wanted him for a long time. but the price is way too high. 

Kessel - Decision is coming... ' IT IS NOT FITNESS RELATED IF THEY DON'T SIGN HIM ' 

Almost sounds like nothing is going to happen. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We have more space than it might appear. Even if we activate Soucy from LTIR, we can still move Joshua and Myers over to LTIR and create even more space. Then just wait till first game of the playoffs, pull a Tampa and activate both of them.

Not sure about Myers, it depends on what week to week means 

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Well Lindholm 

its-something-something.gif.e12e64c3d0ae3865ae933f03ec21d8a5.gif

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dom said:

Dhaliwal says no chance Guentzel happens as other teams have much deeper prospect pools. 

Kessel - Decision is coming... ' IT IS NOT FITNESS RELATED IF THEY DON'T SIGN HIM ' 

Management likely not showing all of their cards. I dont think nothing is really an option for them, could just be a couple depth adds though. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, RWJC said:

true but Soucy will take some time to get back into the swing of things with all the time he’s missed. No guarantee he doesn’t get injured again with his track record this year. In the event of two Dman injuries between post TDL and playoffs, who are your call ups?

Irwin who hasn’t even played a game in the NHL yet this season? Whom else can hold the fort? Friedman has played well in limited capacity but far from an ideal solution at the moment.

The other aspect I look at is strength in numbers. While I agree we need a W who will play, there are 16 F spots, in contrast to 6 D spots. We have F call ups who have experience this season. 
We don’t really have that great a luxury on D. And come playoffs, we tend to get weaker on the backend over time. I just think it wouldn’t hurt to allocate some capital that way and just ensure we have 4 solid pairings on D if need be.  

I just don't see the need. When healthy and rested (Cole needs a rest next), our depth guys are Juulsen and Friedman. Also, Irwin, Hirose, and McWard would be the call ups; all have NHL exp and are the 9-11th men! If we lose Hronek or Hughes in POs, we are in tough like any team taht loses top pairing guys.

In addition, we currently have no real separation between 2/3 lines; they are both great 3rd or ok 2nd lines. As such, signing a Dman will just push a 2/3 guy into the pressbox; a poor use of cap space.

IF we want to jump in a TDL, best use of capital would be a longer-term ( 2-3 year) option in the top 6. A guy like Toffoli would fit the bill, IF we had a gauge that he'd be looking for a similar contract as present. But even a move like this would be tough unless PA jettisons Mikaheyev.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Management likely not showing all of their cards. I dont think nothing is really an option for them, could just be a couple depth adds though. 

I kinda half expect depth moves as well, which I'd actually prefer. 

We may have done all our moves already in aquiring Zadorov & Lindholm which isn't the same as doing nothing. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I just don't see the need. When healthy and rested (Cole needs a rest next), our depth guys are Juulsen and Friedman. Also, Irwin, Hirose, and McWard would be the call ups; all have NHL exp and are the 9-11th men! If we lose Hronek or Hughes in POs, we are in tough like any team taht loses top pairing guys.

In addition, we currently have no real separation between 2/3 lines; they are both great 3rd or ok 2nd lines. As such, signing a Dman will just push a 2/3 guy into the pressbox; a poor use of cap space.

IF we want to jump in a TDL, best use of capital would be a longer-term ( 2-3 year) option in the top 6. A guy like Toffoli would fit the bill, IF we had a gauge that he'd be looking for a similar contract as present. But even a move like this would be tough unless PA jettisons Mikaheyev.

Understood. I guess we’ll see what transpires and in retrospect evaluate if/where the team could have reallocated resources after the playoff run. 

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I kinda half expect depth moves as well, which I'd actually prefer. 

We may have done all our moves already in aquiring Zadorov & Lindholm which isn't the same as doing nothing. 

While other teams fixate on the bigger fish PA can swoop in and pick up some bottom 6 depth.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

While other teams fixate on the bigger fish PA can swoop in and pick up some bottom 6 depth.

As long as we pretend to be interested in big fish to raise prices as well. A bottom pairing RD and a top 9 winger would be great pickups. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dom said:

The Canucks are pretty well set, at this point it is adding some exclamations to the overall club. Maybe an at at forward most likely going to be Kessel.

Maybe a depth piece on the back end. As it stands now the Canucks have six very capable NHL defensemen in Hughes, Hronek, Myers, Zadorov, Cole, Soucy, and I would add a seventh NHL capable defenseman in Noah Juulsen whom has really established himself as an NHL player this year ( cannot overstate how important this particular coaching group has been this year ). Add in depth options with NHL experience like Friedman and Irwin and youngsters the team has teased in Woo, Hirose, McWard and there is depth to pull from. Adding another veteran defenseman would be solid.

Its exciting to think of a Guentzel type and we won't really know until deadline day anyways but the Canucks are fairly solid. There is some hate on Lindholm ( coaches love what he has brought already ) for maybe a lack of production or chemistry, you will see his value as things move along here. Mikheyev hate I get it but he has not hurt the team and I think he is not going anywhere by choice of the coaches and management anyways.

Its easy to get caught up in what other teams do but end of the day the Canucks look pretty good. That doesn't change if say Edmonton or Vegas add Guentzel along the way, Vancouver still remains a deep, dangerous club others are measuring themselves against.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Maybe. But if we get him back, we gotta sign him.

Rumour is LA is talking Toffoli. With Kempe out, and their / his history there, I'd expect that's his first choice to go and also re-sign

Well, my favorite options that have been mentioned are the ones Drance and Dhali mentioned: Toffoli and Greenway,

But I have no idea what it would cost to acquire them....I suppose I'd be okay with moving Raty and/or any forward not named Lekkerimaki.....If they wanted someone off the roster, I could see moving Aman, Mik, or PDG, but I'm not sure why the Devils or Sabres would want any of them....

I'd also like to see a depth signing on defense, in case Soucy or one of the other regulars goes down late in the season, or playoffs. Erik Johnson could likely be had for a late round pick....