[Proposal] What I think will happen, not what I hope will happen

Lots of reports saying we're in hard on Guentzel. I don't agree with this all-in mentality, especially after we've shown we can fumble big games of late and other teams are really catching up to us, but I've got a worrying feeling that PA is going to go hard after another top-6 forward, especially after Lindholm hasn't panned out for us. There are rumours that we may well move Podz as well so are calling him up to beef his stock up.

I do not condone this behaviour in any way possible but I've got a feeling PA is going to do something silly like this, and in all fairness it makes sense to both teams:

TO PIT: 1st (2025) + Podkolzin + Mikheyev

TO VAN: Guentzel

Two firsts sounds like a lot but part of that value is to take Mikheyev's dead contract so I think it pans out. Pittsburgh get two very nice pieces for essentially a rental for Vancouver. Like I said, I don't think it's the right direction we're going in but boy I could sure see it happen. On paper we're obviously loaded for next year but losing so many expensive rentals in one off-season will really sting unless freeing up some cap (Mikheyev, Myers, Cole) means we can keep one of them at the least?

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I might as well put this here.... As I need to get this off my chest.

This rumour about showcasing Podz in order to get Guentzel...  Would be a HUGE mistake by this management. 

We are small on the wings in Hogs, Garland and Suter (when on the wing... He's a better 4th line center).  And we are slow with PDG.  Outside of Boeser, Högs, and Joshua (kind of) our wings, we aren't scoring.  

Podz has enough speed, size, skill, heart and grit.  He's ready for this and EXACTLY what this team needs right now... Especially with Joshua out.

IF we must trade a developed prospect to get Guentzel, I'd rather trade Högs.  But really... I believe it would be a mistake to trade either.  

I'm a little worried that trader Jim may not see it this way.  

PA... JR... Keep Högs and Podz, they will help bring the cup here!!!!

I agree with this and it's definitely a pickle we're in if we really do want to go get Guentzel. I'd personally love to see Podz stick fulltime and get another bruiser for the 4th line, and I do think management knows even with Joshua coming back we're a little light in that area too. Lekkerimaki would be tough, but you're getting a proven performer and wouldn't be disrupting the locker room a whole lot. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Lots of reports saying we're in hard on Guentzel. I don't agree with this all-in mentality, especially after we've shown we can fumble big games of late and other teams are really catching up to us, but I've got a worrying feeling that PA is going to go hard after another top-6 forward, especially after Lindholm hasn't panned out for us. There are rumours that we may well move Podz as well so are calling him up to beef his stock up.

I do not condone this behaviour in any way possible but I've got a feeling PA is going to do something silly like this, and in all fairness it makes sense to both teams:

TO PIT: 1st (2025) + Podkolzin + Mikheyev

TO VAN: Guentzel

Two firsts sounds like a lot but part of that value is to take Mikheyev's dead contract so I think it pans out. Pittsburgh get two very nice pieces for essentially a rental for Vancouver. Like I said, I don't think it's the right direction we're going in but boy I could sure see it happen. On paper we're obviously loaded for next year but losing so many expensive rentals in one off-season will really sting unless freeing up some cap (Mikheyev, Myers, Cole) means we can keep one of them at the least?

I’m starting to think the same thing

3 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I might as well put this here.... As I need to get this off my chest.

This rumour about showcasing Podz in order to get Guentzel...  Would be a HUGE mistake by this management. 

We are small on the wings in Hogs, Garland and Suter (when on the wing... He's a better 4th line center).  And we are slow with PDG.  Outside of Boeser, Högs, and Joshua (kind of) our wings, we aren't scoring.  

Podz has enough speed, size, skill, heart and grit.  He's ready for this and EXACTLY what this team needs right now... Especially with Joshua out.

IF we must trade a developed prospect to get Guentzel, I'd rather trade Högs.  But really... I believe it would be a mistake to trade either.  

I'm a little worried that trader Jim may not see it this way.  

PA... JR... Keep Högs and Podz, they will help bring the cup here!!!!

PA will make his best off for Geuntzle. Dubas either accepts it or goes elsewhere because Hogs or Pods isn’t as good, in his view, as the young player offered by the other club. It could be one of those trades it’s best we do not make. 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

PA will make his best off for Geuntzle. Dubas either accepts it or goes elsewhere because Hogs or Pods isn’t as good, in his view, as the young player offered by the other club. It could be one of those trades it’s best we do not make. 

Didn't Rutherford already say he didn't want any more pure rentals? 

If we did land JG I think it would come with an extension, or our management is looking at moves none of the talking heads know anything about.

• ThereItIs 1

Are people losing faith in this management already? JR/PA have proven their ability to make good decisions so far. They have a long range vision for this team as well. I can’t see them proceeding with anything that would hurt the team in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There is no more Tocchet player than what Podz can be. 
‘Stop trying to build a team that can contend this season and build one that can compete for the next 5. 
Every description of what we need in the top 6 is the scouting report on Podz, he needs to put it all together. We don’t need him to be a big scorer now but we need him forechecking and creating havoc like he was doing pretty well against the Ducks. 
I don’t condone spending more high picks because we put half a great season together, especially given how we have played since ASB. 

1 hour ago, Captkirk888 said:

Are people losing faith in this management already? JR/PA have proven their ability to make good decisions so far. They have a long range vision for this team as well. I can’t see them proceeding with anything that would hurt the team in that regard.

No doubt.   What happened to the goodwill they created with the Horvat to Hronek trade.   The Dickie dump,  Miller, Bluegar, Cole, Soucy and other things (Zadorov when Soucy went down). They dropped Kuzemenko like a bad habit.    Not worried yet.    They've basically been fluid since they came in.   Don't have any issue with the going for it attitude.   This team can go for it and win.    And can do it in a way, that's not short sighted.     They know it's this year and the following one cap wise.   Then a lull.   Then another shot around 2028-2032. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

In all fairness I'm not 100% sold on Podkolzin, he's had a bumpy start to his career and hasn't proven himself at all at the NHL level yet. He's a slow burner for sure, but I wouldn't be trading him for a rental. If we had a young guy coming back who we could keep on a decent contract for a few years then I'd jump at it, but Guentzel is going to be pretty hard to retain.

I think Hoglander should be considered untouchable at this stage. He's dropping 20 goals out of no PP time and pretty much 12 minutes a night and is creating them out of thin air. He's making his linemates look better and that's including a slumping Petey and even Mikheyev at times. He is the quintessential Tocchet player. As crazy as it sounds, I'd put him up there amongst our All-stars in terms of untouchables - he could just keep getting better and better with his work ethic and he's proving he's got loads of skill too.

Raty is another interesting one - he's having a good year but again is fairly old for a kid who is still unproven at the NHL level. I'd like to see what he can do on our 4th line wing at times this year but maybe he's in the works for a trade...

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.   What happened to the goodwill they created with the Horvat to Hronek trade.   The Dickie dump,  Miller, Bluegar, Cole, Soucy and other things (Zadorov when Soucy went down). They dropped Kuzemenko like a bad habit.    Not worried yet.    They've basically been fluid since they came in.   Don't have any issue with the going for it attitude.   This team can go for it at win.    And can do it in a way, that's not short sighted. 

Along with the Lindholm trade, the Nucks will lose another 1st + Podz + ? + ? (his value is higher

than Lindy's).  Unless they can sign Geuntzle in the offseason, this trade would be a bust.

Geuntzle alone is not going to win the Canucks a cup this year.  If they could find a way to

sign him in the offseason, he would be a great addition to the Canucks' playoff window.

44 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In all fairness I'm not 100% sold on Podkolzin, he's had a bumpy start to his career and hasn't proven himself at all at the NHL level yet. He's a slow burner for sure, but I wouldn't be trading him for a rental. If we had a young guy coming back who we could keep on a decent contract for a few years then I'd jump at it, but Guentzel is going to be pretty hard to retain.

I agree.  There's a chance that Podz develops into the kind of player the Canucks really need.

The return for Pods has to be a player they can count on in the coming years.

I think Hoglander should be considered untouchable at this stage. He's dropping 20 goals out of no PP time and pretty much 12 minutes a night and is creating them out of thin air. He's making his linemates look better and that's including a slumping Petey and even Mikheyev at times. He is the quintessential Tocchet player. As crazy as it sounds, I'd put him up there amongst our All-stars in terms of untouchables - he could just keep getting better and better with his work ethic and he's proving he's got loads of skill too.

Hogs is looking very good, but I don't see him (right now) as a quintessential Toccket

player.  That would be Garland, but for his stature. The reason Hogs' minutes are low,

is because he can't maintain his buzzing energy for a longer period of time. Tocc has 

mentioned this in a pressy awhile ago.  Of course, he is young and has the potential to

his stamina in the future.

Raty is another interesting one - he's having a good year but again is fairly old for a kid who is still unproven at the NHL level. I'd like to see what he can do on our 4th line wing at times this year but maybe he's in the works for a trade...

Raty turned 21yrs and likely will have  .5 to 1 more season in the NHL, which is the

common timeframe (22yrs) for 2nd round picks to make the NHL.  Players that

graduate from the NHL under 20 years old, are more than likely 1st round picks;

oftentimes in the top 15.  Those are the chosen few selected by rebuilding or

slumping teams.  They usually require far less development to make the NHL jump.

My feel's are the Guentzel rumors were pressure to get Pete to the table to sign. Guentzel only makes sense for us as insurance if Pete had a foot out the door. I think the only reason we're still talking about this is to drive the price up for our competitors I don't think MGMT fave any real interest. Mathamatically it makes no sense for us and as a rental the price is too damn high. 

Too Damn High Rent GIF by gifnews

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.   What happened to the goodwill they created with the Horvat to Hronek trade.   The Dickie dump,  Miller, Bluegar, Cole, Soucy and other things (Zadorov when Soucy went down). They dropped Kuzemenko like a bad habit.    Not worried yet.    They've basically been fluid since they came in.   Don't have any issue with the going for it attitude.   This team can go for it and win.    And can do it in a way, that's not short sighted.     They know it's this year and the following one cap wise.   Then a lull.   Then another shot around 2028-2032. 

Spot on....

I really hope we don't trade another 1st and a top prospect (Hogs, Podz, Lekker, DPetey, Willander) for Guentzel. He's great for sure, but a rental for all that just seems like the wrong call. 

This team is supposed to be getting ready to be annual contenders. We gotta plan for that and not give it all up for this year only.