Am I the only one willing to overpay Hronek ?

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

And ? 

Yup. Totally depends on deployment including d zone v o zone starts and pp v pk time and who they are up against. 
Hronek is a really good player. He was the number one D on Detroit. And Allvin pretty much stole him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

And ? 

And 

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I think if Hronek were able to drive his pairing and find chemistry with say Zadorov, Cole, Soucy like Hughes has with Schenn, Tanev, Bear, Juulsen, anyone you put next to him. Then maybe he could be looking at 9m. As it stands I think 7.8 is a good payday for Hronek and maybe he should make 50k less than his meal ticket.  

Hronek has been a great partner for Hughes. He hasn't been very remarkable away from Hughes though. 

• ThereItIs 1

42 minutes ago, Blue said:

Miro Hieskanen has been a bit up/down too.  That just isn't how contracts work. You cant cut back his money because he isn't the perfect defensman every night

Miro Heiskanen would likely be earning much more than he is right now, had it not been for Jim Nill's big gamble three summers ago.

image.png.ff49cfa39828a46e696bee00b8785c95.png

One can dream Filip Hronek will turn out like this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Many fans say he's not more than a 6.5 million dollar defenseman. 

But the question is, do you want to blow a hole in your lineup in the most coveted position in hockey for 1.5 million dollars ? I sure as hell don't. Give him 8 million, try to go 4-5 years max. And if he wants term, structure it as buyout friendly as possible and just sign him. Give him and his asshole agent 8 million. I don't even think 8 million is an overpay. Its a full pay. Anything more is an overpay. But 8 isn't.

Do we really want to go back to those days of "oh but that defense" , for 1.5 million dollars. F*** that. Every discussion around this team started with "but the defense, the right side" until and only until we got Hronek. And he played up to and even above his acquisition cost. 

I've already heard some retorts to this. "oh , this management can just find another Hronek" Yeah right. That was a risky trade and we are lucky it worked out. We will be trying to fill that hole with 5th or 6th defenseman and hoping that they over achieve. And it will just be poverty on the back end again. 

Hronek should get paid like a #2 defenseman (riding shotgun on a top pairing) would normally get on the market.  

We should absolutely pay Hronek because him and Hughes are the only legit top pairing calibre defenseman on the team. 

We don't have a true #3 calibre d-man (I am of the belief that Soucy, Zadorov, etc. are #4 calibre d-men).   

So yeah - we should pay Hronek.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hronek is a good player. He's been given prime ice time and prime opportunities beside Hughes for most of his time with the Canucks. I can't help feel that has inflated his numbers to some degree - somewhat like what happened when virtually anybody played with the Sedins. Star players prop up their linemates. 

I am also of the mindset that he shouldn't be paid more than Hughes - regardless of what contract was signed when. I don't believe he is as good as Hughes was - even back in '21. Nor does he have the ceiling.

It's also somewhat symbolic in respect to Hughes' position in both talent and captaincy. 

$7,840,000 per is as high as I'd like to see them go - though ideally with everyone taking discounts, 7-7.5 is the range I'd really like to see to give some cap flexibility. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I'd have no problem with the 7 to 7.5 million AAV range. 8+ would be a bit of a stretch, but I'd rather have Hronek at 8 than try to replace him with scraps in free agency. If he wants much more than 8, the team will have to make some tough decisions.

The other thing in our favor....I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago.

We can sign him to 8 years, he's only 25 so its not an issue. Anyone else can only sign him to 7 years. That's a huge advantage (total dollars can be the same but cap hit is better for us).

If you look at the dmen currently in the league making 8 mil or more, they are all Norris level players, many are HOF level players, other than Nurse, who everyone knows was a stupid contract. So you then ask, is he in the 8mil aav comp range. No...so will other teams pony up 8 mil or more? Unlikely.

If we pay him 7.25 per year for 8 years  = 58 million

For a team to pay him 58 mil as a UFA for 7 years = 8.28 mil (then see my point above again).

I don't think we will have any issues signing Hronek for 7-7.5 mil for 8 years.

Edited by Bardown
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

The other thing in our favor....I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago.

We can sign him to 8 years, he's only 25 so its not an issue. Anyone else can only sign him to 7 years. That's a huge advantage (total dollars can be the same but cap hit is better for us).

If you look at the dmen currently in the league making 8 mil or more, they are all Norris level players, many are HOF level players, other than Nurse, who everyone knows was a stupid contract. So you then ask, is he in the 8mil aav comp range. No...so will other teams pony up 8 mil or more? Unlikely.

For a team to pay him 58 mil as a UFA for 7 years = 8.28 mil (then see my point above again).

Agreed, and he will be a huge trading piece in the summer to reduce our cap next year. I bet we could get a first, second, prospect and a RH D after the year Hughes has pumped his tires.

17 hours ago, Reznor said:

Hronek is a good player. He's been given prime ice time and prime opportunities beside Hughes for most of his time with the Canucks. I can't help feel that has inflated his numbers to some degree - somewhat like what happened when virtually anybody played with the Sedins. Star players prop up their linemates. 

I am also of the mindset that he shouldn't be paid more than Hughes - regardless of what contract was signed when. I don't believe he is as good as Hughes was - even back in '21. Nor does he have the ceiling.

It's also somewhat symbolic in respect to Hughes' position in both talent and captaincy. 

$7,840,000 per is as high as I'd like to see them go - though ideally with everyone taking discounts, 7-7.5 is the range I'd really like to see to give some cap flexibility. 

It doesn't work that way. His number has to be compared to Hughs next contract 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, TUSK v2.0 said:

Agreed, and he will be a huge trading piece in the summer to reduce our cap next year. I bet we could get a first, second, prospect and a RH D after the year Hughes has pumped his tires.

we're not trading him.

10 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Yeah, I think 7 and a quarter mil AAV on an 8 year deal is a very fair contract. I hope it can get done around that number

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

we're not trading him.

Well. I am impressed with your confidence... but we have trippled his value since aquiring him. If we get him to sign a long contract at value, he is worth more as a trade piece than a RHD for Hughes.

Would you rather we lost Boeser?

3 minutes ago, TUSK v2.0 said:

Well. I am impressed with your confidence... but we have trippled his value since aquiring him. If we get him to sign a long contract at value, he is worth more as a trade piece than a RHD for Hughes.

Would you rather we lost Boeser?

He is a RHD for Hughes, I am not sure why you think he isnt?

Why would we lose Boeser?

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

It doesn't work that way. His number has to be compared to Hughs next contract 

They need to define how much his game has improved due to Quinn's influence. Knowing

the Canucks management, they will have some quotes from teams around the league to

see what his true value is. He is an RFA, so they will have more time to decide what they

can offer him.  Hopefully they can find a way to re-sign him, as he is at the perfect age

to offer him a maximum term with NMC for the first few seasons.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bardown said:

He is a RHD for Hughes, I am not sure why you think he isnt?

Why would we lose Boeser?

you dont know about CapFreindly?

its called a budget. usually you need to plan at least a couple years ahead.

And about a RHD, what I was saying, we can replace Hronek much cheaper and just as effective. In fact, Hughes needs a big guy like Juules or Myers for some protection.

2 minutes ago, TUSK v2.0 said:

And about a RHD, what I was saying, we can replace Hronek much cheaper and just as effective. In fact, Hughes needs a big guy like Juules or Myers for some protection.

They have more than enough cap room

do the math

3 minutes ago, TUSK v2.0 said:

What? Actually Hughes needs a smart, elite skilled partner who compliments him. Hronek is ideal in that role. He’s much like what Toews is for Makar. 
We will not over pay him though. JR/Allvin will trade a player before doing that. Look to Fat Wallet as the example. 

• Cheers 2

I don’t care what the stats say. We need Hronek on this team. That said I see no reason why we’d have to over pay. Sign in to a contract with lots of term and get that AAV down 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bardown said:

They have more than enough cap room

do the math

I wouldnt be concerned at all if I did math like you. Sure, cap goes up, so does the OEL penalty, Petey's raise, Joshua, and all the other UFA's. Plus if you think we are just letting Myers walk, you still have to replace him too.

Hronek just has way more value as a trade than we actually need him on D. Even if he slaps one at Hafolin blocking tonight. and another slapper in the net!

Of course, these are just my opinions, and obviously not as in stone like your comment "We will not trade him"

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TUSK v2.0 said:

I wouldnt be concerned at all if I did math like you. Sure, cap goes up, so does the OEL penalty, Petey's raise, Joshua, and all the other UFA's. Plus if you think we are just letting Myers walk, you still have to replace him too.

Hronek just has way more value as a trade than we actually need him on D. Even if he slaps one at Hafolin blocking tonight. and another slapper in the net!

Of course, these are just my opinions, and obviously not as in stone like your comment "We will not trade him"

Oh so now we have the cap and you change your argument 

Keep moving those goalposts!