Am I the only one willing to overpay Hronek ?

Many fans say he's not more than a 6.5 million dollar defenseman. 

But the question is, do you want to blow a hole in your lineup in the most coveted position in hockey for 1.5 million dollars ? I sure as hell don't. Give him 8 million, try to go 4-5 years max. And if he wants term, structure it as buyout friendly as possible and just sign him. Give him and his asshole agent 8 million. I don't even think 8 million is an overpay. Its a full pay. Anything more is an overpay. But 8 isn't.

Do we really want to go back to those days of "oh but that defense" , for 1.5 million dollars. F*** that. Every discussion around this team started with "but the defense, the right side" until and only until we got Hronek. And he played up to and even above his acquisition cost. 

I've already heard some retorts to this. "oh , this management can just find another Hronek" Yeah right. That was a risky trade and we are lucky it worked out. We will be trying to fill that hole with 5th or 6th defenseman and hoping that they over achieve. And it will just be poverty on the back end again. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Hole in our defence? We have 3 D signed for next year. Our current 2024 D depth chart is

Hughes Juulsen

Soucy

I agree though I'd like to see Hronek signed 7.8m 50k less than Hugs. 

OP said blow a hole or sign, so I answered the question

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd have no problem with the 7 to 7.5 million AAV range. 8+ would be a bit of a stretch, but I'd rather have Hronek at 8 than try to replace him with scraps in free agency. If he wants much more than 8, the team will have to make some tough decisions.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'd rather blow a hole in our defense than give the guy more than Hughes. In no world do I think he should be paying more than Quinn, who is the current engine of this team and the front-runner for the Norris. That should be the internal cap and rightfully so.

I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't necessarily mind Hronek making more than Hughes is currently making for his next contract because of where they both are in their contract cycles. Hronek is coming to the end of his first big-time NHL contract (4.4m AAV). Hughes still has 3 years before the end of his first big-time NHL contract (7.8 AAV).

I think it would be more appropriate to compare Hronek's upcoming contract/re-up (with term) to Hughes's NEXT contract. Hughes is significantly outperforming his current contract and we are getting him at an absolute steal right now. I don't think it's a fair comparable to Hronek's next contract. Hughes's next contract will be the true comparable to Hronek's re-up, imo. Everyone knows that Hughes's next contract is going to be monstrous.

For example, if Hronek is 8x8 and Hughes (on his next contract) is 13~x8, does that seem more of an appropriate difference in their salary?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'd rather blow a hole in our defense than give the guy more than Hughes. In no world do I think he should be paying more than Quinn, who is the current engine of this team and the front-runner for the Norris. That should be the internal cap and rightfully so.

This makes zero sense. Because you cant compare Hughs bridge contract with Hroneks next one. The fair comparison will be what Hughs gets on his next deal. Which will be 11 million+

32 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Hole in our defence? We have 3 D signed for next year. Our current 2024 D depth chart is

Hughes Juulsen

Soucy

I agree though I'd like to see Hronek signed 7.8m 50k less than Hugs. 

There is no comparison to Hughs's bridge. Hughs was not the player he is now when he signed that. 

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

This makes zero sense. Because you cant compare Hughs bridge contract with Hroneks next one. The fair comparison will be what Hughs gets on his next deal. Which will be 11 million+

disagree.

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

There is no comparison to Hughs's bridge. Hughs was not the player he is now when he signed that. 

Are you arguing over 200k.

I think if Hronek were able to drive his pairing and find chemistry with say Zadorov, Cole, Soucy like Hughes has with Schenn, Tanev, Bear, Juulsen, anyone you put next to him. Then maybe he could be looking at 9m. As it stands I think 7.8 is a good payday for Hronek and maybe he should make 50k less than his meal ticket.  

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

This one's definitely going to get some reactions here.  

image.png.257829623e816fd44bc156baaeaf1566.png

But under Rick Tocchet, he has been an insanely good fit within the system, regardless of his individual metrics.

image.png.36e4c79c2a74dd191f9ad204d6e48118.png

Re: that second chart, if we pair him with someone like Cole instead and have him carry his own unit (while Cole/ partner mops up defensively after him) that could have the makings of a very strong second pair behind whoever Hughes plays with (if we split up the super duo and have them each eat up around top-pair minutes).  Myers looks solid defensively with Cole, so I'm sure Hronek can put forth quite the strong performance next season to be worth that money himself.

Re: OP, I think Hronek's worth $7-$8 million per, hopefully not too lengthy of a deal.

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Re: that second chart, if we pair him with someone like Cole instead and have him carry his own unit (while Cole/ partner mops up defensively after him) that could have the makings of a very strong second pair behind whoever Hughes plays with (if we split up the super duo and have them each eat up around top-pair minutes).  Myers looks solid defensively with Cole, so I'm sure Hronek can put forth quite the strong performance next season to be worth that money himself.

Re: OP, I think Hronek's worth $7-$8 million per, hopefully not too lengthy of a deal.

In a little over 100 minute sample together Cole Hronek Have been on the ice together for 3 GF and 3GA their pretty much 50/50 on shot attempts too. 

• chaos 1

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Many fans say he's not more than a 6.5 million dollar defenseman. 

But the question is, do you want to blow a hole in your lineup in the most coveted position in hockey for 1.5 million dollars ? I sure as hell don't. Give him 8 million, try to go 4-5 years max. And if he wants term, structure it as buyout friendly as possible and just sign him. Give him and his asshole agent 8 million. I don't even think 8 million is an overpay. Its a full pay. Anything more is an overpay. But 8 isn't.

Do we really want to go back to those days of "oh but that defense" , for 1.5 million dollars. F*** that. Every discussion around this team started with "but the defense, the right side" until and only until we got Hronek. And he played up to and even above his acquisition cost. 

I've already heard some retorts to this. "oh , this management can just find another Hronek" Yeah right. That was a risky trade and we are lucky it worked out. We will be trying to fill that hole with 5th or 6th defenseman and hoping that they over achieve. And it will just be poverty on the back end again. 

8 isnt a overpay you are correct... he might be a top 32 defender, even though he is a top 10 scorer we all know and him too that thats because of the players he plays with... mainly hughes.

Here are some relevant comparables for Filip Hronek:

Mikhail Sergachev (Tampa Bay Lightning):

Contract: 8 years, $68 million
AAV: $8.5 million
Position: Left defense
Age when signed: 25

Thomas Chabot (Ottawa Senators):
Contract: 8 years, $64 million
AAV: $8 million
Position: Left defense
Age when signed: 23

Miro Heiskanen (Dallas Stars):
Contract: 8 years, $67.6 million
AAV: $8.45 million
Position: Defense
Age when signed: 21

Considering these comparables, an AAV of around $8 million to $8.5 million for an 8-year term would be reasonable for Filip Hronek. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

He's been a bit up/down, i hope more like 7mn. 

Miro Hieskanen has been a bit up/down too.  That just isn't how contracts work. You cant cut back his money because he isn't the perfect defensman every night

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

In a little over 100 minute sample together Cole Hronek Have been on the ice together for 3 GF and 3GA their pretty much 50/50 on shot attempts too. 

And ?