Am I the only one willing to overpay Hronek ?

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So Hronek is scoring like in Detroit, when he was on the pp. yet he’s not getting op here. Sounds like his five on five production is absolutely being propped up by playing with a generational talent, no? 

or maybe just maybe vancouver have better forwards than detroit?? david perron was their 2nd best player with 56 points.. and their 3rd best player didn't even hit 50 points

Easy to dunk on Dahlin because he happens to be in Buffalo.  There are some great offensive D out there these days but Dahlin is a different player.  He's no slouch offensively but that's not the only aspect of his game. He has more hits (by a lot) than Hughes, Makar and Heiskanen COMBINED.  More blocked shots as well.

There is just a SLIGHT difference in the quality of team that Dahlin plays on vs the others as well.  Lol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Doesn't score as much as Dunn, isn't as physical as Poink. Something in the mid to high 6s seems right, somewhere between these two guys.

That’s likely what we offered but (like with Fat Wallet) Hronek might believe a fair offer isn’t enough? As a UFA there’s likely a club that will pay him 56 mil. I’m thinking we offered 40 mil. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s likely what we offered but (like with Fat Wallet) Hronek might believe a fair offer isn’t enough? As a UFA there’s likely a club that will pay him 56 mil. I’m thinking we offered 40 mil. 

50 mil x 8 years is my guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Easy to dunk on Dahlin because he happens to be in Buffalo.  There are some great offensive D out there these days but Dahlin is a different player.  He's no slouch offensively but that's not the only aspect of his game. He has more hits (by a lot) than Hughes, Makar and Heiskanen COMBINED.  More blocked shots as well.

There is just a SLIGHT difference in the quality of team that Dahlin plays on vs the others as well.  Lol

Dahlin isn’t anywhere close to Makar, Hughes, or Heiskanen. He’s below the second tier of Fox, Mcavoy, and those guys too. He’s exactly why the Sabres will continue to be puck suckingly bad. If they were smart they would trade him away. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin isn’t anywhere close to Makar, Hughes, or Heiskanen. He’s below the second tier of Fox, Mcavoy, and those guys too. He’s exactly why the Sabres will continue to be puck suckingly bad. If they were smart they would trade him away. 

Lol if you say so.  I think you suffer from Buffalo bias.  I fully expect you to be 100% wrong about him.  He's probably the last guy that I'm concerned about if I'm Buffalo.

Who knows!  I could end up eating crow.  I'm pretty confident though.

• Cheers 1

I would think Devon Toews would be a pretty good comparable for Hronek's next contract. Toews new contract starts this upcoming season at 7.25 mil per. I do think Toews is better than Hronek, though, so I feel something in the 6.5 to 7.25 mil range would be appropriate for Hronek's next contract.

@Miss Korea If you wouldn't mind posting the war cards for Toews and Hronek side by side, that would be appreciated.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, WillisD said:

I don't care what they sign him for as long as they do. Doesn't come outa my pocket and I trust Alvin. I used to worry when GMJB was around but those days are long gone

There is a small issue there called a salary cap.

22 minutes ago, boziffous said:

I would think Devon Toews would be a pretty good comparable for Hronek's next contract. Toews new contract starts this upcoming season at 7.25 mil per. I do think Toews is better than Hronek, though, so I feel something in the 6.5 to 7.25 mil range would be appropriate for Hronek's next contract.

@Miss Korea If you wouldn't mind posting the war cards for Toews and Hronek side by side, that would be appreciated.

I've used that comparison. Toews might have the slight edge in on ice performance but Hronek is 4 years younger. Even signing Hronek to an 8 year takes him to 34. Toews 7 year takes him to 37.

Overall I have no problem matching the AAV as it will be through the peak and plateau of his career.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I've used that comparison. Toews might have the slight edge in on ice performance but Hronek is 4 years younger. Even signing Hronek to an 8 year takes him to 34. Toews 7 year takes him to 37.

Overall I have no problem matching the AAV as it will be through the peak and plateau of his career.

Good point about the age difference. With that in mind I'll bump my original 6.5 to 7.25 for Hronek up to 7 to 7.5 mil.

I don't know about overpaying, but I see him getting 7.5-8M and I don't have a problem with it. 

I think the prospect of Hughes somehow setting an internal cap for D is ridiculous, players all know that contracts go up alongside the cap and that every negotiation is different. 

Hughes will get his in a few years, likely 12M+, I doubt he'd care. 

• Vintage 1

Some folks would seemingly rather not have someone at all if he's not willing to take a team friendly deal and that's just not realistic. Even top teams have to pay full value sometimes, I don't see why paying market value has to be viewed as a loss when it's more of a norm. 

• Cheers 1

Going to say it again ... With Hronek, we won't be doing anything other than what other top teams and contenders are doing on D, which is making D a priority financially.

Pay him fairly, make D a priority. That's what winners do. 

It's a good thing we have Hughes on such a great contract.

And ... get over the fact that you were wrong about Hronek in the first place.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Anyone who follows this guy, should know that he could be the actual "next Lidstrom".   Not Dahlin.   He's a massive reason why Dallas is a contender.    From his very first shift, the feedback was "he plays like an 8 year vet, there is no panic in his game".    Klingberg, was their go to PP guy back then.   Once that changed, and with time, the points started pouring in.     Know we love our QHs, but I wouldn't be dissapointed, if instead we had this kid.   He's the closest thing, to Lidstrom, the leagues seen, since Lidstrom,  Lidstrom-lite anyways.    

Been pumping his tires for years.   Whenever QHs, Makar, Fox or Dahlin's name comes up, quick to add Heiskanen to that list.   Every bit as special as those guys, in an understated way, much like Lidstrom was.   He's actually trending quicker as well.   Have no doubt in my mind, that the more Dallas keeps pounding away at their cup runs, the more this kid will start getting his due.    Like Lidstrom, controls the game differently than his peers.   Not as flashy, no thundering hits,  plays the d-side with elite IQ and skills.   He's no Konstantinov, or Blake, or Borque or Steven's when it comes to hitting guys and contact.   And isn't going to score at a PPG pace often like Lidstrom too.    Not going to Al Mac/Weber the puck.   Just does everything at 90-95% compared to his peer group (the best of the best)  aside from contact.   Smooth as butter, and once it's on his stick, it's leaving the zone.    Big reason why Dallas is one of the best defensive teams in the league right now (yes his plus minus isn't gaudy).  

Hronek is nothing like this guy, in the same way, he's no QHs.     Only 24...What are these guys, going to look like at 28-34?  Usually the best years from top tier defenseman.   Feel we are pretty blessed, that a lot of high end D's came into the league over a 2-3 period.    Also believe, it's pushing the scoring up.   

Yeah, Dahlin is a more offensive defenceman who relies on his skills and creativity to generate offence.  Which is totally fine, by the way - his playing style is extremely similar to Roman Josi.  I'd go as far as to say Dahlin is the most creative defenceman in the league.  Not the best, but certainly the most creative.

Miro Heiskanen is the human anti-highlight reel.  His playing style is quite boring to watch because he is never trying to force a play with a body check or a clever deke.  His game is all about efficiency - making the best possible play with the least amount of effort.  The result is a guy who negates opponents with simple stick plays and then moves the puck offensively with short, crisp passes.  Hughes/Fox don't play like that (he likes to pull opponents with his skating).  Makar doesn't play like that (he prefers to burst by opponents like McDavid).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, boziffous said:

Toews and Hronek have radically different playing styles, with the first one being that Toews is one of the best defenders in the league.  His ability to neutralize rushes is unmatched.  He's expressed frustration to the media over the team's back-and-forth season but his defensive impact has always been top-notch.  Look how he fares against the NHL's top players:

image.png.73237289b3d784a2919475a350c58677.png

image.png.dfc0fdf3cca731aeffd90ee6ec1e1ead.png

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 1

Isn't Devon Toews the most straightforward comparable? Signed an extension this past October - $7.25 x 7 years.

Rides shotgun with a franchise d-man, slightly older than Hronek. 

Is there an argument to be made that Hronek does more or less than Toews?

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Isn't Devon Toews the most straightforward comparable? Signed an extension this past October - $7.25 x 7 years.

Not even close.  Devon Toews is an elite defenceman with or without Makar.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I take Toews anyday over Hronek

At the end of the day what really matters is what effect the player has on the team. One can poke as many holes in Hronek's game as they want to try and justify lowballing him, but the fact remains that his impact on our D core has been substantial. Substantial enough to be one of the major contributing factors in turning this team from a bottom 10 team in the league to one of the top 5  overnight. 

Pay the man ffs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1