Interestting take by Gino Reda on #1 Teams picking their Opp

14 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Never pick your opponents.

It's a dangerous, dangerous game.

And kinda a no-win situation for those top 3 seeds.  What a way to give the underdog instant whiteboard material.

I would not be opposed to it.  Even if it motivates the opponents, you got to at least have good reasons for it for example, travels avoiding teams that stack up their players for the playoffs, etc.  I would also not be opposed to avoiding Vegas until the conference finals.  Vegas can be avoided if WC2 is from central, so let's hope for wc2 being from central division so Vegas has to play against top team from central division as WC1 if we end up finishing first in the West.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I'm all for fixing the cap first but something to talk about I guess, Yeesh 110mill cap if all of Vegas players are healthy for the p/o...frickin' unfair!

-We pick the Maple Leafs!

-Aw shit, we wanted the Leafs.

-We never get the Leafs

-Jim Benning “I can’t believe the Leafs are still available!”

IMG_1203.jpeg

17 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

The Presidents trophy winning players should get some kind of financial reward as a prize.  But the playoffs should stay the same

They should get into the Draft Lottery with the same odds as the lowest odds team. 

Can you imagine the push down the stretch last year to get Bedard? Still a super small chance of landing him, but a chance! Could lead to an epically stacked team, but hey, thats ACTUALLY shown to be good for the game. People love and hate dynasties. 

• Like 1

If an entire regular season, means you don't get a tune up team for the effort...well that's not a bad idea.    Let an upset be an upset.   

Who's the upset?  Canucks beating Vegas with Stone back?  And their entire 110 payroll?   That's the upset.   Let's be honest here.    That's reality.    Sucks to be on the other side of the equation, but absolutely, would prefer NSH.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Never pick your opponents.

Why?  Do you think that boxing hasn't been rigged this way for half a century?   MMA?  Let's be real, the question proposed is who should Vancouver pick.   Vegas.  Or NSH.   Wouldn't you rather Vegas had a round in before we faced them?    Know I would take that deal 10/10.    It's probably not going to happen.   And yes maybe we can beat them too.    Kucherov coming back to lead their team in scoring in the playoffs, and now this - come on, this is deliberate.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

As for the LTIR.  If Vegas wins again, that loophole is done for.   Hope it's not at our expense.   Actually like that teams can load up with retention, playoffs should be best on best and that's something fans should see.    You can bet Stone will be back. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As for the LTIR.  If Vegas wins again, that loophole is done for.   Hope it's not at our expense.   Actually like that teams can load up with retention, playoffs should be best on best and that's something fans should see.    You can bet Stone will be back. 

If stone is back for game 1 of the playoffs, Zadorov needs to be tasked with rupturing his spleen again. That'll take care of it.

• Desmenko 1

On 3/11/2024 at 4:34 PM, Iron Fist said:

The Presidents trophy winning players should get some kind of financial reward as a prize.  But the playoffs should stay the same

Yeah, I wanna win the Slavery Cup!

A lot of teams want to keep it the way it is because it allows the rich teams more leeway.

And for teams with a real good chance at a cup to enhance their lineups.

TO could have done this, the Rangers Montreal is but not for playoff purposes,

The LTIR is also for financially challenged teams so they can make the cap minimum without actual expenditure. Often these LTIR's are legit because of the insurance company paying the contracts. So a team like Arizona that takes on 12 mil in LTIR contracts is saving 12 million in spending on salaries but they can use the cap hit to make the minimum

It isn't all for just the cup winners.