[Signing] Canucks sign 4th rounder Ty Mueller

• EliPeterson40 changed the title to [Signing] Canucks sign 4th rounder Ty Mueller
8 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Defensive, "jack of all trades" forward according to his scouting report?  Hope he could become something, if only depth.

Teddy Blueger-like upside imo. Will need some seasoning in the AHL for sure, but he could be a decent bottom 6 C one day.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Would be interesting to see if he goes to the farm do we call up Raty or Dries to help with our center depth. Petey and Lindholm are banged up. Not sure how bad Petey is tho. Just missed practice today.

This signing may be due to that. Maybe not tho.

He did have a great dev. Camp for us. He stood out to me as a guy with lots of “pro” tools.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Would be interesting to see if he goes to the farm do we call up Raty or Dries to help with our center depth. Petey and Lindholm are banged up. Not sure how bad Petey is tho. Just missed practice today.

This signing may be due to that. Maybe not tho.

He did have a great dev. Camp for us. He stood out to me as a guy with lots of “pro” tools.

Allvin likes to have lots of players who can play centre.  It gives him flexibility.  Right now, he's moved Suter to the middle to cover for Lindholm and he's brought up Bains.  He also has Lafferty and Aman with the big club who can also play centre so he's not forced to bring up a centre from Abby.

So he doesn't have to bring up Raty who is only 21.  Or Sasson (23).  He can do what is right and keep them down and continue their development.  Dries is 29 and a UFA.  I wonder where his future lies?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Allvin likes to have lots of players who can play centre.  It gives him flexibility.  Right now, he's moved Suter to the middle to cover for Lindholm and he's brought up Bains.  He also has Lafferty and Aman with the big club who can also play centre so he's not forced to bring up a centre from Abby.

So he doesn't have to bring up Raty who is only 21.  Or Sasson (23).  He can do what is right and keep them down and continue their development.  Dries is 29 and a UFA.  I wonder where his future lies?

I hope he lands somewhere good for him.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Dries has been great for the club. But I think he walks after this year. He’s a great ahl player. He will be wanted. He’ll probably hold out for another 2 way contract. Whoever gives it to him i’m sure he’ll sign…but he may have to settle for an ahl contract now because of his age or go overseas.

Whatever the case I wish him the best. He’s helped build our baby nucks in a big way.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I wonder if Ty Mueller joins Abbotsford for their Calder Cup run.

I have a suspicion Vancouver may want 3 extra forwards on their cup run so likely Bains stays up with the parent club.

Infusing some young and hungry blood with Lekkerimaki and Mueller would be a good boost to the forward group.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Defensive, "jack of all trades" forward according to his scouting report?  Hope he could become something, if only depth.

Sounds a lot like Brendan Gaunce when he was drafted.

Thankfully this management is better at assessing players than Gillis.

4 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Sounds a lot like Brendan Gaunce when he was drafted.

Thankfully this management is better at assessing players than Gillis.

Hopefully this management can build a club that wins two Presidents’ trophies and is a constant Cup contender, like Gillis. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully this management can build a club that wins two Presidents’ trophies and is a constant Cup contender, like Gillis. 

It looks like THIS management can draft and develop a  hell of a lot better than Gillis did. This is proof that you can be competitive and draft properly.

10 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

It looks like THIS management can draft and develop a  hell of a lot better than Gillis did. This is proof that you can be competitive and draft properly.

This management drafted from the lottery position their first two years. They are a great management, but have yet to reach the level of Gillis greatness. But they did have to overcome the Benning stain. And they are very good at getting players like this one, who will compete for bottom six roles. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

This management drafted from the lottery position their first two years. They are a great management, but have yet to reach the level of Gillis greatness. But they did have to overcome the Benning stain. And they are very good at getting players like this one, who will compete for bottom six roles. 

You're kidding me though. Gillis literally inherited the reason why he was able to start with success. Benning inherited the aftermath of Gillis post-2011. A lot of Gillis' pieces were arguably past their prime (i.e. Kesler, Edler). It wasn't that they weren't good, but the two situations are VASTLY different. If anything, Benning had a worse start, given that Gillis sucked horribly in development.

This is what Gillis had to show for ALL his years here:

image.png.329f44bde690d6d353e14c824b6e958f.png

image.thumb.png.040965deb58a9ab8c216dd7fae8b7c64.png

The man succeeded in a number of different areas, but drafting/development was not his forte AT ALL. It's not like Gillis didn't have first round picks, or second round picks. He just couldn't draft, period.

There's always an unlucky side of drafting, but when you're THIS bad, it's not unlucky.

Stop romanticizing Gillis. He was good for what he did, but not so good when it came down to passing the torch. The Canucks were BROKE when it came to prospects by the time he was fired.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/30/2024 at 11:01 AM, EliPeterson40 said:

We signed the guy, and later in the day we clinch a playoff spot.  Coincidence?  I think not!  He'll be leading the parade down Robson Street, man!  :hurhur:

...or not.  🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 12:18 PM, PureQuickness said:

You're kidding me though. Gillis literally inherited the reason why he was able to start with success. Benning inherited the aftermath of Gillis post-2011. A lot of Gillis' pieces were arguably past their prime (i.e. Kesler, Edler). It wasn't that they weren't good, but the two situations are VASTLY different. If anything, Benning had a worse start, given that Gillis sucked horribly in development.

The man succeeded in a number of different areas, but drafting/development was not his forte AT ALL. It's not like Gillis didn't have first round picks, or second round picks. He just couldn't draft, period.

There's always an unlucky side of drafting, but when you're THIS bad, it's not unlucky.

Stop romanticizing Gillis. He was good for what he did, but not so good when it came down to passing the torch. The Canucks were BROKE when it came to prospects by the time he was fired.

Gillis was horrible at drafting pretty much his entire tenure as a GM.

I don't buy the argument that the Canucks are at the top of the standing, thus, they don't pick as high and leads to bad drafting record. Teams like Pittsburgh, San Jose, Washington and Chicago to name a few, were also close to the top of the standings in those 2008-2013 era, and they were able to find solid prospects drafting late in the first round and also found some good role players in the later rounds that made an impact to their roster. Gillis drafting record as shown above is absolutely horrible. There is no excuse when things are this bad. You can just click on each draft year, look at who we drafted, and you will see impact NHLers gets drafted within 5-10 picks later. You are not going to hit every pick at the draft table, but when you miss year after year, that's a troubling trend.

I give Gillis full credit of building a competitive team around the Sedins and Luongo, and made us a cup contender during this years, but his drafting is absolutely his biggest weakness. Given how bad he was at drafting, really wished he would've gone all-in at the TDLs of 2009-12. We should've traded those 1st round picks or prospects like Schroeder and Hodgson while they still had value, and load up on the roster.

In 2010, with Mitchell injured mid-season, we should've LTIR him (he didn't end up playing for us rest of the season) and pick up another top 4 defenseman to replace him at the deadline. The 2010 first round pick was still available at the TDL, instead we kept it and traded that at the draft for Keith Ballard, who can't get out of AV's dog hosue the moment he touched down in YVR. They could also pick up another defensive centre and some more character/grit in the bottom 6 (similar players to Lapierre and Higgins trade in 2011), we would stand a better chance against the Blackhawks.

In 2011, that's the year we should've gone all-in. They should be all-over the biggest name pending UFAs. Adding another scoring winger or 2, adding more depth to the blue-line (so we aren't down to Andrew Alberts playing a regular role in the Stanley Cup Final).

In 2012, we could've picked up Jeff Carter before the Kings pick him up. Instead, we made that bogus Hodgson for Kassian trade.

I wish he would've been more aggressive each deadline, and throw away picks/prospects to bolster our line-up in our contending window. Because, all those picks/prospects mounted all but nothing by the end of it because of his horrible drafting.

• Cheers 2

On 3/31/2024 at 12:18 PM, PureQuickness said:

So what? You think our prospects cupboard was overflowing when Rutherford took over? LOL Jacob Truscott, Brisbois, Jett Woo, Jack Rathbone? What happend to those guys?

You know whats really bad, having 1 legit playoff run in what? 8 seasons. You know whats bad? Finishing bottom 5 every damn season, throwing away more picks than any Canucks GM, oh by the end of it, was in cap hell.

Honestly Pure Nonsense, if drafting is the only thing you care about,do us all a favor and keep your comments on hfboards.

We are in the business of winning

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1